The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Jerusalem: a flashpoint for conflict or microcosm of peace > Comments

Jerusalem: a flashpoint for conflict or microcosm of peace : Comments

By Alon Ben-Meir, published 14/5/2021

There will be no Israeli-Palestinian peace unless East Jerusalem becomes the capital of a Palestinian state while the city remains united.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 20
  9. 21
  10. 22
  11. All
"He has tried to step down several times and the Israelis won't let him."

Yeah, well we all know that anything bad that happens in the M-E is Israel's fault. </sarc>

But exactly how do they stop him retiring if that's what he wants?
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 14 May 2021 2:06:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"There will be no Israeli-Palestinian peace unless..."

But this is the author's private desire, not what these people want!

Should peace prevail, both leaderships would definitely lose their hold on power, so of course this is not something they want. Especially now when their power is fragile (for unrelated reasons), war is their only hope and both are very keen to keep fighting. Possibly, they could have even secretly coordinated it in advance.

Should the people there want peace like the author, they could find 100's of ways to have it, they wouldn't need the author's advice.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 14 May 2021 5:13:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

RAMALLAH, West Bank - Mahmoud Abbas submitted his resignation as Palestinian prime minister yesterday, citing differences with Yasser Arafat, and accusing Israel of sabotaging his reforms and the United States of failing to provide him support. His action placed in doubt the future of an American peace plan.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/bal-te.mideast07sep07-story.html

“Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has allegedly notified sources that he will step down from his position within two months, Channel 1 reported Sunday.
According to PA officials, Abbas's surprising announcement of retirement is due to fatigue.
Speculation for the 80-year-old's reported plans to resign also center around his failure to make progress in peace negotiations with Israel. “
http://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/report-abbas-to-step-down-as-pa-president-within-2-months-410229

“A new poll has found that the vast majority of Palestinians think that Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas should resign from his position.

According to the Palestinian Center for Policy and Research, 70% of Palestinians want Abbas to step down while only 26% want him to stay on. Of the two Palestinian regions, 64% of Palestinians in the West Bank want Abbas to resign as do 80% in the Gaza Strip, which is run by Hamas.”
http://jewishjournal.com/news/worldwide/228559/poll-70-palestinians-think-abbas-step/

How do the Iaraelis stop him? By taking out those who might be capable of replacing him.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 14 May 2021 5:52:22 PM
"How do the Iaraelis stop him? By taking out those who might be capable of replacing him."

Oh, just as I thought. You made it up.... on the basis that it just has to be the Jews wot done it.
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 14 May 2021 6:00:40 PM
Dear mhaze,

You really can be a mendacious little flog sometimes.

I could list at least 5 people who Israel has directly intervened with to keep Abbas in the job. The top of that list would be Marwan Barghouti.

Let's see if he is allowed to run in the upcoming elections.

As to whose fault it is Chomsky quotes a sign held by an old man in Gaza.

“You take my water, burn my olive trees, destroy my house, take my job, steal my land, imprison my father, kill my mother, bombard my country, starve us all, humiliate us all, but I am to blame: I shot a rocket back.”
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 14 May 2021 6:11:34 PM
Yuyustu, nailed it one again, my non-biased unblinkered even-handed friend! Facts matter and count for far more than patently biased political posturing/blame-shifting.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 14 May 2021 6:51:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 20
  9. 21
  10. 22
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy