The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Abortion is morally justifiable > Comments

Abortion is morally justifiable : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 5/1/2021

There is no explicit statement about abortion in the Old Testament or the New Testament versions of the Bible .Then why do Catholics, and many Christian fundamentalists, oppose abortion?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Dear Truth Seeker,

I understand how the concept of rights is so entrenched in Western society, that even religious people fail to recognise its secular origins.

You claim: «We are all alive and posting here because our right as a child allowed to come into existence was not robbed from us», but I claim instead that we are all alive and posting due to God's grace alone. Should God wanted otherwise, then no amount of societal protection could bring us here.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 8 January 2021 6:02:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with you It is God who authors all life but the act of abortion ends the life God's breath allowed
Posted by Truth Seeker, Friday, 8 January 2021 7:15:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was impressed that Foxy was able to see both sides of the argument here (though I haven't read the whole thread yet). Kudos.

Myself I can see good arguments on "both/ all" sides of this issue- there are perhaps more than two sides here- that doesn't mean I support them both equally- my views are complex on this issue- I'm not sure that this uncertainty means that it should necessarily be left to the individual either- fascinating subject. We should talk about this subject more.

I'm concerned with the author bringing the bible into it and his motivation
Posted by Canem Malum, Saturday, 9 January 2021 10:37:31 AM
Yuyutsu – you seem to want it both ways. You say, “God granted us free choice”, but also, “we are all alive and posting due to God's grace alone. Should God wanted otherwise, then no amount of societal protection could bring us here”.

So which is it – do human beings have genuine free will or does God actually control all that happens?
Posted by JP, Saturday, 9 January 2021 10:57:50 AM
Interesting article- he seems to play both sides of the political divide in a way apparently consistent with University Business School Indoctrination- also he invokes Peter Singer- to me a very contraversal figure in many cases- not sure about this case.
Posted by Canem Malum, Saturday, 9 January 2021 11:40:19 AM
My limited knowledge of human biology suggests that every human ovum and every sperm is a living thing. Who knows, maybe it's ordained that way by god.

So no sperm and no ovum should ever go to 'waste': all ova should be fertilised, and not menstruated away. Every sperm should be utilised to fertilise ova, otherwise we may be killing some of god's creations, even if there are billions of them.

And certainly, on these grounds, there should never be contraception.

Is this were some of the logic displayed on this thread would end up ?

I hasten to add, in order to clear up misinterpretations, that I don't think any of this is valid, that in fact it borders on the idiotic. But it's a logical conclusion from one perspective.

Women should have control over what happens to their bodies; contraception should always be legal; abortion should be legal up to the point where a foetus/fetus is viable, i.e. when another human being becomes involved.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Saturday, 9 January 2021 11:59:39 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy