The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > I am an Aboriginal woman, and my people are hurting > Comments

I am an Aboriginal woman, and my people are hurting : Comments

By Samantha Cooper, published 4/6/2020

Reconciliation Week is exhausting at the best of times. Now more than ever, we are bombarded with tidal waves of racism and ignorance.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 39
  7. 40
  8. 41
  9. Page 42
  10. 43
  11. 44
  12. 45
  13. 46
  14. 47
  15. 48
  16. All
Loudmouth

Big Nanna who for years has fought to expose the abuse of children within aboriginal communities, including those children who are not going to school on a full-time basis, plus the teaching curriculum for Aboriginal students - not being able to attain their full potential.

All previous Governments just throw more money to Aboriginal Agencies/activists without addressing the problem.

1. Children didn't ask to be born.
2. All children must attend school - without education no child cannot "dream" and achieve their full potential in whatever path of life they chose to aspire.
3. All children should have the full support of parents in order to achieve above.
4. All children should be taught English in schools as the "universal language of Australia" - as with all other migrants to Australia.

Why are children running around the streets at midnight plus, on week nights.

If you ask the children this question they will respond "It's safer out here than at home".

So my question is, why do so many school children feel so unsafe in their own homes?

Of course, it comes down to the "parents" - so parents where are you and why do you get a "free pass" by all Government and agencies as to why your children not feeling safe at home and having to run the streets, whereby encouraging criminal activity or drugs.

5. I ask all parents of Aboriginal children (Australia's children) how many years does the (Government and Australian taxpayers) have to continue to discuss "closing the gap" with the family situation for aboriginal children (Australia's children) not being addressed?

More taxpayers's money won't fix this problem, currently at
$10B per annum.

It's time for some honesty by all sides of Government including those Activists to address the truth and stop the pandering.

Then, and only then will we get real reform for our Aboriginal Australian children.
Posted by SAINTS, Thursday, 2 July 2020 5:08:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Saints,

You ask, "Why are children running around the streets at midnight plus, on week nights. ....... If you ask the children this question they will respond "It's safer out here than at home"."

The answer often in one word is, "Uncle".

On the other hand, I put this up earlier today:

The Closing the Gap targets are being revised - those relating to education are being revised upwards (Australian, pp. 1 & 7). The government wants to set a target of 70 % of ATSI youth having tertiary qualifications (i.e. Certificate III and higher) by 2028.

At the last Census, there were just under a quarter of a million ATSI people in Australia between 15 and 39. If we fiddle with the figures a bit, cutting out all those under 20, and over 40, and use the residual figure as a surrogate, this means about 181,714 people.

In the last Census, 48,704 ATSI held university-level qualifications; 70,939 had completed Certificate III and IVs, making a total of 119,643 out of a rough population of 181,714, or 65.8 %.

The proportion of that population with university qualifications was around 26.8 %.

From the last Census to this next one, next year, ATSI university graduate numbers will rise by about 40 %, to about 68-70,000. By the 2021 Census, the relevant Total ATSI population (20-39 years) will have risen to about 212,600. So about 32 % of ATSI aged 20-39 will be university graduates by the next Census - i.e. effectively by the end of this year. Perhaps as many as 90,000 will have completed Certificates III and IV.

So close to 160,000 ATSI would have 'tertiary qualifications' out of a population of 212,600 young ATSI adults, or 75 % (and close to a third of that population with outright university qualifications).

My dear late wife wrote about 'Two Indigenous Populations' back in 2006 or 2007, and with the equivalent of three-quarters of the young adult population having tertiary qualifications, I would respectfully suggest that the other quarter have plenty of role-models.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Thursday, 2 July 2020 5:27:04 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Somewhat amused when it was announced that parity of incarceration rates for Indigenous and Non-Indigenous was hoped to be achieved by 2093. I thought wow is that a typo, why so quickly only 73 years away. It was soon taken down
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 3 July 2020 7:50:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul,

On incarceration rates and poor-bugger-me attitudes: I've got to the point where I can freely say,

"Frankly, my dear Paul, I don't give a damn."

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 3 July 2020 12:41:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Got the new word for you Joe; "whakawhanaungatanga" I think I've spelt it correctly, no its not a Welsh village of less folk than the letters in the name, having one here next Saturday, so the wife tells me she is arranging it. Been to a few before, educational, cultural and have a decent kai as well. A real gathering of the clan to celebrate the new normal.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 3 July 2020 7:28:42 PM
Paul,

Something like a family get-together ? Best wishes to your better half :)

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 3 July 2020 8:18:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 39
  7. 40
  8. 41
  9. Page 42
  10. 43
  11. 44
  12. 45