The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Flattening the curve or just muddling on? > Comments

Flattening the curve or just muddling on? : Comments

By Graham Young, published 22/4/2020

While they are still talking about 'flattening the curve' they appear to want to eliminate new infections before they start relaxing restrictions, and that's a confusing message.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 13
  13. 14
  14. 15
  15. All
notice all the lefties who jumped on Republicans as conspiracy theorist have gone quite about the origins of the virus being from a lab in Wuhan. Oh well just another likelihood that does not fit the hate Trump narrative. The lying left liberal media just have no shame.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 22 April 2020 6:29:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner,

Says who it was devised in a Chinese lab ? Given the prevalence around the world of the selling of bush-meat, bush-foods, into wet-food markets, especially (it seems) in very productive and semi-tropical areas like the Congo and southern China, etc., it's possible that, like so many viruses and epidemics in the past, this is a consequence of the economic relations between hunter-gatherers and the modern economic system ?

Of course, you may have incontrovertible proof otherwise ? Unless, of course, you suffer from Trump Worship Syndrome ? You're stuck with him, I'm afraid :(

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Wednesday, 22 April 2020 6:41:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Some interesting posts here, many inverting the usual morality. It's not neo-liberalism to point out that you're shortening lives and life expectancy whatever you do, it's empiricism. Generally we prioritise the young over the old, and generally the old do the same thing. Some of you obviously have a vested interested in saving the old rather than the young, but that's not the way that's been seen to be right for most of history.

Steele invokes the Anzacs. I've always thought it was a travesty that it was mostly very young men who were sent to die in the trenches. But it was inevitable because the elderly could not fight. If it has a lesson for all of us, it is that our way of life and freedoms and standard of living is worth defending, with our lives, if it comes to that. How many Anzacs died so that one hundred years later a cowardly generation would shut down the economy lest they run a tiny risk of catching a nasty disease?

Is this the way that we'll treat the flu next season? Because the latest research shows the infection rates of this virus are pretty similar.

And this isn't a mere academic exercise for me - I have three of the risk factors for COVID, and if I were 20 years older would have an high chance of dying from it. But I don't expect a younger generation to sacrifice their longevity and quality of life so I can live a few more months in 20 years time.

If you're interested in Sweden, here's the latest with comparatives for Western European Countries. http://ourworldindata.org/grapher/total-covid-deaths-per-million?tab=chart&year=2020-04-21&country=SWE+CHE+NOR+FIN+DNK+GBR+FRA+BEL+ITA+ESP
Posted by GrahamY, Wednesday, 22 April 2020 8:20:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting http://unherd.com/thepost/coming-up-epidemiologist-prof-johan-giesecke-shares-lessons-from-sweden/?fbclid=IwAR19GTIbcdLpYYfUCtH2XNVPoF8FClyMwFaKLsAxaXlYCPJqwUUs-xjEFPI
Posted by Luciferase, Wednesday, 22 April 2020 8:59:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is one time I'm glad that Scomo's in charge and well, a little slow out of the blocks, has generally been doing a fine job!

As for the rest of the commentary? Good to know there's a smattering of humans here making a Christian like contribution. Thank you, Joe, Foxy, Steele and Big Nana.

With the usual suspects who like runner want to own their own facts?

The Weimar Republic, had some very intelligent folks in their ranks, but were only able to commit their grievous excesses due to lack of normal human empathy, runner!

As some do here, make the economy and their own individual financial concerns, way more important than common humanity? Much of which is on display here! Lest we forget!?

All this, I'm all right Jack, me, me, me, C.R.A.P. happening when we've almost stomped the curve flat.

When there are no more reported cases for at least two weeks?

Confirmed by widespread testing for two weeks we can ease some of the restrictions, and get on restarting the economy! With a massive emphasis on a new self-sufficient, self-reliance. Doable if we employ an economic paradigm that makes every one dollar invested, do the work of seven or more!

An absolute essential if we are to survive the new age, Great Global Depression!

Sure to be resisted to the last man standing, by the tin-eared, recalcitrant hard right, our resident neo-nazis and special vested interest and idiotic ideologues, no names or pack drill.

Think it's tough being confined to quarters for a couple of weeks on living on the smell of it?

Try doing it for around twenty years or more, then whinge and whine about how tough you're doing it!

You whingers are like the spoiled brat losing at cricket picking up his bat and ball and snarling of home. Stop it, you'll go blind.

Take care and stay safe and hang in there for a few more weeks, it'll be worth it for us and our economy if we can and do eliminate the virus!?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 23 April 2020 10:37:20 AM
GrahamY,
You're cherry picking. Compare apples with apples. Scandinavian countries are the ones to compare Sweden with. Nothing could be clearer.
One event can be enough. Spain and Italy had a soccer match, and both countries suffered.
America and Brazil have idiot Presidents, voila!
And I love all the old blokes saying they're prepared to take one for the team. Good for you.I'm not that silly.
Posted by askbucko, Thursday, 23 April 2020 11:05:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 13