The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bushfires and climate change > Comments

Bushfires and climate change : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 17/1/2020

More houses have been lost than ever before, but then there are more people than we have ever had before, five times as many as we had a century ago.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. All
Correction; I cannot find the reference to Fourier Analysis again.
Perhaps someone else mentioned it.
Still a powerful technique if you have the data.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 17 January 2020 2:36:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I got this a few days ago & I've added to it.

Added:

Ok. Global Warming/Climate Change has just about run its course. Nothing has really happened. We haven't drowned & it's been 20 years.

What will be the next big scare?

I predict it will be a "World Wide Pandemic." They tried this one before, in the 70's, but it failed to get off the ground. I see the beginnings of it in the papers & on the TV every now & again.

Does anyone remember the TV Movie Episodes of "Pandemic." from the 70's. It started off with a bloke & a Brief Case getting on a plane & flying around the world.

It will be the "Super Bugs Pandemic." Coming to you soon.

As with the:

Original:

(60’s, No more Oil.
70’s, The Ice Age cometh.
80’s, Melting in Acid Rain.
90’s, Frying in no Ozone Layer.
00’s, Climate Change.)

Added:

10’s, Global Warming.
20’s, World Wide Super Bug Pandemic.

Coming soon. Watch this space.
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 17 January 2020 3:59:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd understand some of the errant garbage provided by a noisy minority of vociferous climate change deniers if anything I've ever proposed would in any way hurt or harm our economy, but rather the very opposite!

The most powerful weapon on the planet is not a nuclear bomb but finance and without it, your goose is well and truly cooked.

And this weapon has been fired when the biggest investment house on the planet told us they were getting out of coal!

I agree with ttbn inasmuch as do-nothing state governments should have been in the forefront and out there doing what needed doing to ameliorate against wildfires!

These useless appendages spend around 70 billion-plus P.A. On just their existence and money we could spend on essential infrastructure if we weren't carrying them, their entitlements and expectations. Infrastructure like nuclear waste burning MSR and pipelines carrying the cost-effective desal to where there's no water now.

There are several missing ingredients that have contributed to the current fire season and its severity.

1st, National parks no longer grazed thank to timid pollies and errant green activism!

2nd, A mindless prohibition on nuclear power at the behest of the same errant asinine activists!

3rd Lack of action on doable dams and many of them on private land in the headwaters of most rivers to force billions of litres of rainfall into the upland landscape and then build levies and weirs along those waterways on the adjacent floodplains for the same purpose.

Enough with the endless excuse-making and the buck-passing! And Don, one house burnt to the ground in any patently preventable forest fire is one house too many and just one life lost fighting preventable fire is just one life too many!

In the final analysis, and with respect to all of the aforementioned state admins and Don, it's the economy stupid!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 17 January 2020 5:02:15 PM
Chris, we are (thankfully) entitled to our beliefs, and all I ask is that alternate views are not lambasted with personal insults, abuse and death threats.

But do respond to my query directed at your belief in science and what if they said something again]isn't CC as I suggested.

Both PCA and FA are complex statistical solutions to deal with noisy data to identify subtle underlying signals in the data. As such they ar the last resort. In the case of global temp date, this is not the case.

I suggest the likes of Mann used PCA to find subtle signals, while and the main signal, namely that in the raw data maunder minimum that Phil Jones and he got caught out in the climate gate scandal of 2009
Posted by Alison Jane, Friday, 17 January 2020 7:00:25 PM
Don talks of the key point. That people be free to modify the vegetation balance on their own land.
Under the current madness landowners aren't. As Don mentioned he had to seek council approval to remove a tree. And that's presumably only a lifestyle block. It's worse for owners needing to manage their rural and agricultural land.
The EPBC act is probably the greatest problem.
If the public, the mob, want public land mismanaged and left to overgrow so be it, not convinced they do, but private property should be exempt.
Unde the EPBC act a lot of the declarations of vulnerable or threatened vegetation communities and habitat are fairly suspect.
Things like the Wollemi pines that got a mention recently are an example of species worth listing to create a legal avenue for preservation funding. However vast areas of forest types listed as threatened aren't rare or in any way threatened at all.
If anything declarations under the EPBC act are creating vulnerabilities. It can't be denied.
Posted by jamo, Friday, 17 January 2020 11:08:40 PM
Dear Don,

What a tired old article by a virtual snake oil salesman who no one but the ideologically tainted are buying any more.

'I have the cure' you proudly announce to a minor cadre but the rest of us know it for what it is, rearguard poppycock denying the bleeding obvious. At what point does it become embarrassing even for you?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 18 January 2020 12:04:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13