The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The truth about 'serious atheism' > Comments

The truth about 'serious atheism' : Comments

By Graham Preston, published 27/11/2017

Now, if it is correct that there is no God, then certain things logically follow: these things are so regardless of whether any particular atheist believes them or not.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Cont.
Preston: the serious atheist should recognise that an atheistic universe would be one that is fully determined, that is, one without any free will.
The laws of physics acting on physical matter would fully determine everything that a person thinks, says, and does and nothing could make it otherwise.
"The next choice you make will come out of the darkness of prior causes that you, the conscious witness of your experience did not bring into being"
The fact that we feel like we genuinely interact with each other must be nothing more than an extraordinary illusion.
and the wishful thinking that cannot cope with the stark realities of life."
But I forget, if everything is fully determined by the laws of physics acting on matter then we have no influence over how we feel about things or what we do about them anyway.

What garbage. An excuse for ones’ own lack of moral standards given half a chance. A very stupid Statement & wrong.

Preston: "Atheists are to be admired for their commitment to truth and their refusal of superstition, sentimentality.

Exactly.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 27 November 2017 9:14:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Not_Now.Soon,

«The conclusion that God doesn't exist is wrong.»

Well the conclusion that God exists is wrong because then one would think of Him as an object - only objects can exist and all objects are limited. Without God one could not even conceive of existence, so how could God possibly be limited by this existence which depends on Him to begin with?

---

Dear David,

«There is no more reason to assume their existence than the existence of the ancient deities.»

Yes there is, because to assume the existence of a particular deity, can be more beneficial for one person at a particular time and to assume the existence of some other deity can be more beneficial to another person at another time.

Assuming that a deity exists is a great technique, whereas its actual existence or otherwise is of no importance.

While some may be concerned about the actual existence of this or that, such concerns are irrational and when it comes to God - fruitless.

«All gods are created in human minds and exist nowhere else.»

No, they don't exist there either: all you can find in human minds are thoughts and thoughts after all, are just thoughts, not gods.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 27 November 2017 11:25:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Yuyustu,

[Well the conclusion that God exists is wrong because then one would think of Him as an object - only objects can exist and all objects are limited. Without God one could not even conceive of existence, so how could God possibly be limited by this existence which depends on Him to begin with?]

I'm sorry Yuyutsu, but this still sounds like a word game with some philosophy of what it means to be an object. Consider the reality of God. If God is real and everything depends on Him to exist, then by that very observation He exists. If God is not real then nothing depends on Him, and He doesn't exist. This isn't about conjuring the correct image or the complete reality of His being. We can all be wrong about who God is and what He is, but He is still there.

In the case of whether God is real or not, whether He exists or not; then the theists and the atheists can not both be right. My point that atheism is untrue, is simply that it is not true. In the same way of pointing out anything else that isn't true. But the main point I was trying to address is that, in my opinion, the exaggeration on what an atheist is doesn't do much to correct an atheist. All they have to do is say that the exaggeration is wrong, and often they will be right in that statement. It won't help in correcting the matter.

If the exaggeration is still true (a rarity but still does happen, like exaggerating how a person behaves now to how they will if they continue down the same path) then the exaggeration holds merit even though it stretches what is actually going on. Exaggerating beliefs doesn't ever seem to fit this rarity. I could be wrong on that. But so far I don't see it.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Tuesday, 28 November 2017 4:14:43 AM
In the beginning nothing that was made, was not made, if not by him.

When we contemplate the wonderment that is the universe and everything in it, from the smallest grain of sand to the equally numerous stars!

What do we see? Nothing except energy that takes various forms as atoms literally vibrating just below the speed of light!

A universe in a grain of sand or eternity in a flower.

There is nothing in the entire universe that we can see, touch, feel or smell, or in any way perceive. That is not part of this eternally vibrating, unified field of energy. Nothing.

We cannot live or exist outside it, for if we did, we would simply cease to be.

We are created IN the image and likeness of God! As an integral part of all there is! And IN it! IN being the operative word.

Resident evil, also part of all there is, would have us believe we are just individuals, able to exist outside of the collective or unified field of energy! Were we able to do so, would simply cease to exist!

The lesson here folks is, we can all be happy doing for each other and in so doing, turn this place into a literal paradise, rather than ghettoised camps opposed to each other in an eternal quest for more!

We are not individuals and greed is not good.

But rather, we are a collective with vast power at our fingertips, just waiting for us to realise who and what we are! And our divine heritage as the sons and daughters of the universe! Or unified field of energy, or all this is!

So what are we waiting for? Let's get started and begin to turn this lifeboat planet, into the veritable paradise it could be, that we all can share!

I'm not saying we become an anthill, where no individualism is tolerated or venerated but rather.

United we stand, divided we fall.
Even though our backs are to the wall.
Together forever, you and I!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 28 November 2017 8:17:04 AM
Holt Gas-Electric tank 1917 4-cylinder gasoline engine developing up to 90 horsepower as a generator to the two electric GEC track motors powering each track , the first true "tank" to be designed and constructed by and for the United States. Later technology used Thorium steam turbines of 370hp on each track providing 36 gallons drinking water per day . Fuel was recycled as depleted Thorium armour plate and fusion gun-ammunition.
Posted by nicknamenick, Tuesday, 28 November 2017 8:44:06 AM
Dear Not_Now.Soon,

We are up against the limitations of the human mind.
How can we speak of "the reality of God" when there is no reality but God!? The more I try to say, the more I find myself speechless.

«the exaggeration on what an atheist is doesn't do much to correct an atheist.»

When taking food we say: "God is the eater, god is the eaten, God is the process of eating".
Realness is nothing but God, existence is nothing but God - and it's not an exaggeration to say that atheists too are God.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 28 November 2017 9:13:22 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy