The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Archaic obstacles: Australia, parliament and dual citizenship > Comments

Archaic obstacles: Australia, parliament and dual citizenship : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 21/7/2017

It is a provision that nabs the unsuspecting member of Parliament who discovers, by self-pursuit or otherwise, that he or she is, in fact, seized of the loyalty of another state.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
Correction and apologies, J.B.P., was a Norwegian born NZ'er.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 21 July 2017 1:40:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Australian constitution is a coercive document that is arbitrarily forced upon all the people who happen to live in this continent, including those born here, who have never agreed to it.

There is no need to amend that stupid document because it has no validity in the first place - what needs to go is this sheepish culture of adherence to laws that were made by others without one's consent.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 21 July 2017 2:33:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Alan B.,

Article s44(i) of the Constitution is completely outdated
and has no real place in Modern Australia and should
be rescinded.

Grant Wyeth writing an opinion piece for The Drum,
16 Sept. 2014 on dual citizenship stated that the premise
behind Article s44(i) of the Constitution came from an
era where pompous ideas about "national loyalty" were
predominant.

Today the campaign asking Senators to reveal whether
they're dual citizens serves to highlight how outdated
our Constitution is in our globalised age. Here we are
chasing and punishing Senators who took an oath of
loyalty to Australia when they became Australian citizens
and having left their country of birth at a very young
age - and were genuinely oblivious of a former citizenship
have been forced to resign. And all this when our Head of
State just happens to be British?

That doesn't make sense.

Let us hope that in this regard out of this silly undertaking
of "gotcha" journalism comes the public momentum to
remove the archaic Article s44(i) from our laws once and for all.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 21 July 2017 3:32:11 PM
To all....define 'Australian' first then we can all discuss the merits for and against an artificial entity borne of political expediency in order to bind individuals into a society with focus toward a common goal.
The goal thus far has been to provide combatants in wars not of our making and spare me the common good because all winners lay claim to the common good
Posted by ilmessaggio, Friday, 21 July 2017 4:25:45 PM
Foxy: Let us hope that in this regard out of this silly undertaking
of "gotcha" journalism comes the public momentum to remove the archaic Article s44(i) from our laws once and for all.

Yes, I could see you wanting to allow someone who has an allegiance to the Middle East & mahommadism to push the Middle East agenda in our Parliament. There are too many of those types in Parliament legally as it is & they are pushing, creeping Sharia Law, now, especially Dastardly & Ali.

Binoy: their previous nationalities (in Waters case, Canadian.

I have no love for the Greens, but was Waters Registered, by her parents, as a Canadian & an Australian or just an Australian? Being born in a Foreign Country doesn't entitle you to Citizenship of that Country unless the child is Registered as a Citizen of that Country when they are born. If they are then the Australian Embassy will refuse to Register them as Australian. Is this point being ignored on purpose? Is it a case of, "I don't want to know that."

Binoy:John Sackar QC, acting on Hawkins' behalf, withdrew the petition once evidence was revealed showing that the senator had renounced his German citizenship.

Well that was the natural course of action, Abetz had refused to answer until he was forced.

Binoy: But section 44 remains an anachronism in an age where dual nationality has become a pressing reality, less a matter of patriotism than access.

No it doesn't. It safeguards Australia's Democracy from those who would wish to subvert it.

Binoy: The Constitution continues being more a poor bill of fare than a bill of rights.

BS & if ya don't like it Binoy, feel free to find a Middle Eastern country, or any other for that matter, that will give you the same Rights.
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 21 July 2017 4:28:31 PM
Dear Foxy, Hear, hear and well said!
Cheers, Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 21 July 2017 5:25:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy