The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Turnbull's response to domestic violence ignores the evidence > Comments

Turnbull's response to domestic violence ignores the evidence : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 6/10/2015

Turnbull was effectively toeing the line pushed by feminists that intimate partner violence is the result of society condoning aggressive behaviours perpetrated by men.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
The title of the article speaks for itself.

“In my view the government could do a lot to help reduce domestic violence by more directly targeting likely classes of perpetrators and DV hotspots. …

There needs to be recognition that policies against DV need to be targeted. The mentally ill, substance abusers and Indigenous families require special assistance measures, and a balance between civil liberties, equal rights, and the rights of victims needs to be struck. …”

Presumably, substance abusers include those drinking alcohol to excess, probably the main cause of domestic violence.
Posted by Raycom, Tuesday, 6 October 2015 3:57:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen, would your opinion of Turnbull mellow if he were to achieve the sale of the ABC? Fanciful, I know. But stranger things have happened. See article below from Quadrant Online:

“The man best placed to sell the ABC” http://quadrant.org.au/opinion/qed/2015/10/man-best-placed-sell-abc/
Posted by Raycom, Tuesday, 6 October 2015 4:32:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhian

I am surprised that you doubt the importance of alcohol,drugs,and mental illness as conrributors to domestic violence. I did not want the article to be a complete literature review but see below for evidence you seek:

The ABS found that 49 per cent of women who had experienced an assault in the preceding 12 months where the perpetrator was male, stated that alcohol or drugs had contributed to the most recent incident. The NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research found that 41 per cent of all incidents of domestic assault reported to the police between 2001 and 2010 were alcohol related.
http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BN/2011-2012/DVAustralia#_Toc309798377

Belfrage and Rying (2004) found that perpetrators who had committed Intimate Partner Homicide (IPH) were more likely to have a mental disorder. These perpetrators were to a greater extent classified with a dysphoric diagnosis (i.e., depression) or a borderline personality disorder [BPD], which manifests in traits such as aggression, impulsivity and a fear of being abandoned (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition [DSM-IV], American Psychiatric Association [APA], 2002).

According to Belfrage and Rying (2004), suicidal ideation is a major risk factor for Intimate Partner Homicide (IPH) in general and IPH. Furthermore, the authors concluded that nearly 80% of the perpetrators who committed IPH could be classified with a mental disorder. In line with these results, Dixon, Hamilton- Giachritsis and Browne (2008) found that a high proportion of the perpetrators of IPH in their study showed symptoms of BPD or dysphoria.
http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:540123/FULLTEXT01.pdf
Posted by Bren, Tuesday, 6 October 2015 4:59:53 PM
Rhian evidence has been covered pretty well on a variety of threads. For an insight into some of the correlations in Australians intimate partner homicides have a look at this http://aic.gov.au/publications/current%20series/rip/21-40/rip38.html

There is plenty more material around discussing (and providing evidence of) a very wide range of aspects of the issue.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 6 October 2015 6:35:50 PM
Bren/Brendan

Read my post, I do not doubt the contribution of drugs or mental illness to domestic violence. I merely point out that you accuse others of proposing positions without providing evidence, then do it yourself.

My main point was that you seem to be no less ideologically driven in these issues that those you criticise.

Feminists stress the cultural and systemic dimension to domestic violence, you downplay these and emphasise the individual aberrancy of the perpetrators. I would expect you both to be partly right. The stats you quoted certainly suggest so. If 49% of DV assaults are alcohol or drug related, presumably 51% are not.

Furthermore, the explanations are not mutually exclusive. A culture of male entitlement and aggression will encourage men with other problems (depression, substance abuse) to be violent towards women (and men).

The tone of your article works cumulatively to belittle women’s concerns. Turnbull’s DV policy is to “appease the women’s lobby”. You patronisingly conceded that increasing the number of women in cabinet from two (initially one , under Abbott) to five (still less than 25%) is “not entirely without justification” (but by inference, mostly so). You sneer at Turnbull’s call for men to respect women.

You say that government could do a lot to help reduce domestic violence by more directly targeting likely classes of perpetrators. But you refuse to acknowledge what your own stats suggest – the “class” that contributes the great majority of perpetrators, is men.
Posted by Rhian, Tuesday, 6 October 2015 6:54:15 PM
Raycom, Turnbull makes me feel dirty.

I only have to see him on TV for less than a minute & I can feel the slime starting to cover me. This is exactly the same reaction I had to Rudd, & is totally unconscious. It appears though, that my unconscious is a damn good judge of politicians. I never had this feeling from Gillard. The waves of hate she projected for people overcame all else. I simply responded with dislike for her. She was not worth expending more energy than that.

As for domestic violence, I think some men must be saints. The amount of verbal abuse & verbal violence some of them put up with is really unbelievable. Fortunately Hollywood appears to have stopped the fashion they used to promote, of women slapping a man's face. This is a very good thing. Keeping ones hands to themselves should be the first priority of women who don't want to be hit.

I don't know how many women believe it is OK for them to strike, but not OK for the favour to be returned. I have never been put to the test, but I expect my response would be automatic & instantaneous, regardless of the gender of the hitter. This was in the school yard with boys, the last place I experienced personal violence.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 6 October 2015 8:07:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All