The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Are the media ready for millions of seniors? > Comments

Are the media ready for millions of seniors? : Comments

By Margaret Woodberry, published 3/6/2015

An increasingly older population which actually be a commercial bonanza.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Given that with its next government the Green / Labor axis, having spent all the money for many years out last time, they will look at the Super Industry and "redistribute" it to their favourites. Hence these 60's will be poor and paranoid.

If you think they will let them keep it you are as one with the Pixies.
Posted by McCackie, Wednesday, 3 June 2015 10:33:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a journalist who will soon hit 60 I can say I only wish this was true, but there is no indication that it will happen, or at least not in the way the author thinks. At the moment, the age groups the author is talking about are simply not prime markets for advertisers. Although many are cashed up, there are many more scraping by on fixed incomes, or simply don't buy newspapers or magazines. Just look at the problems with Readers Digest.. Its readership base has been aging for decades - younger people simply don't go in for the product - and that's not a place it wants to be..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Wednesday, 3 June 2015 10:54:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How pathetic!

People in their 60's, 70's and 80's, yet still haven't learned their lesson, still craving for material goods and still addicted to the media.

Now that their time has finally arrived to be free of the shackles of employment and child-rearing, now they can pursue God whole-heartedly, they can read scriptures, pray and meditate, they can even go on pilgrimage if their health allows, now it's their opportunity to make their final dash to avoid coming back to this world and going through it all over again.

Shame on the author who sides with the devil to lure them back into the vanities of the world.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 3 June 2015 10:56:34 AM
Yes, young people know nothing about ageing and they don't have the imagination to think that they will grow older themselves. There is less respect than ever for seniors, and we are best ignored.

But that does not make women (the author's target audience) 'lovely at 60'; and anyone thinking that a 100 year old woman can look "glamorous" is wearing beer glasses.

Young women are getting fatter and scruffier. What are they going to look like when they are old!

The writer believes that "hundreds of thousands of us actually enjoy near-perfect health". In your dreams.

"Seniors are avid consumers..". So why do we hear so many seniors saying how hard up they are, with barely the resources to maintain basic living standards?

Just as young people are naive about ageing - if they even think about it - this lady appears to be living on another planet, or she has had very limited experience of real life.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 3 June 2015 11:13:46 AM
Well Margret, your article was indicative, I believe, of a class of (I want what she's having) female?

And arguably the finest argument ever put to completely wind back all subsidies on millionaires' super; soon to cost the budget bottom line more than medicare or pensions! [50+ billion?]

End negative gearing and finally end subsidies private health! [8+ billion?]

Family trusts? [More than the above?]

Even so, hand back more by junking our current tax system and replace it with a single, stand alone entirely unavoidable, simplified system that simply treats all income equally!

And therefore the rate is able to be lowered to the point, where it all but forces the current commercial offshore exodus, to go into reverse!

Q: How many Irishmen does it take to change a light bulb?
A: 101, 100 to turn the house around while one holds the light bulb steady!

And while that's mildly amusing, it underscores the fact, if there are enough hands employed at the task/sharing the workload, it becomes light work for all; rather than a huge burden for a few!

And those few are saying enough already, there's just no way my tax dollars should be used to subsidize the lifestyles of the better off in their retirement!

It also tells me it is way past time to start means testing all government benefits and services/public health delivery etc!

There is a budget deficit and we have to borrow as much as a million a day to pay the interest bill? And it only exits because of welfare for the rich as outlined in the foregoing!

And Myers and other retailers could be forgiven for asking, where are all these (pampered pets/poodles) rich women and their spend-a-thons?

Without bias and no personal offence intended.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 3 June 2015 11:51:24 AM
Calling old people seniors makes it sound as though they are in a hierarchy. I am 89 years old and prefer to be called an old man as that is what I am. I take no medication and have a devoted wife, and I return that devotion.

The epicurean philosophy is a good one. They recommend the pursuit of happiness. However, the pursuit of happiness is not found in the acquisition of material goods as one may always want more. Happiness is obtained by tranquility of mind. As long as one gets enough to eat and has a comfortable shelter what more material goods are necessary? One can always learn more about nature, history, mathematics or whatever interests one. One can find some creative pastime. If one is fortunate one has a companion with which to share one's life. I am not enthusiastic over efforts of the media to part me from what resources I have to buy things I don't need.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 3 June 2015 12:44:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy