The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Are the media ready for millions of seniors? > Comments

Are the media ready for millions of seniors? : Comments

By Margaret Woodberry, published 3/6/2015

An increasingly older population which actually be a commercial bonanza.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Yuyutsu,

<<...since we already did it once (when or around the time we were born), it is not unreasonable to assume we can and would do it all over again, using a different body/brain.>>

It is not reasonable until there is something to suggest that there is any part of US or aspect of US (as you would say, using capitals) that is capable of transferring to another body. The fact we happened at some point does not in anyway suggest that we can happen again. You cannot rationally go from 'if something has happened before, then it could happen again', to 'therefore it is reasonable to assume that we have souls and that those souls will transfer to another body'.

There's some pretty big leaps and assumptions in your thinking that I think require a bit more detail.

http://star.psy.ohio-state.edu/coglab/Miracle.html

ConservativeHippie,

Thanks for the clarification although I’m not sure what difference it makes. Claims that religious beliefs are nonsense aren’t usually circumvented simply by departing from religion or the bearded-old-man-in-the-sky model of God. It’s not so much what we believe that makes it rational, but why we believe it.

<<If you were the only person for miles in the middle of a desert when a flying saucer landed, you would always know it happened but most everyone else would think you had some sort of psychotic episode.>>

I would also suspect that I’d had a psychotic episode. Even more so if I thought I had experienced God. There’s nothing supernatural about UFOs, after all, and there’s all sorts of brain activity and mal-functioning that can make people feel like they’ve had a supernatural experience. Certain people are more prone to such experiences too. People with temporal lobe epilepsy, for example, experience God all the time.

<<The ancient sages, mystics, and the Dali Lama are not just a bunch of quacks.>>

"Quacks" is such a harsh term. I'd say those people are/were delusional.
Posted by AJ Philips, Friday, 5 June 2015 8:23:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy