The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Carbon-Civilization Combustion Complex > Comments

The Carbon-Civilization Combustion Complex : Comments

By Evaggelos Vallianatos, published 16/4/2015

A recent book, The Collapse of Western Civilization: A View From the Future by Naomi Oreskes and Erik Conway shines light on this perplexing question.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
So while working for the EPA this author wrote an article denouncing oil companies - using terms like "evil" and "greed" - and was surprised at the reaction? Public servants aren't meant to do such things. If you want to go rabid-extreme that's up to you, but public bodies like the US EPA are meant to be neutral, build trust with oil companies so that they respect its rulings and so on. It can't afford to have employees making overtly public, extreme stands. Quit first and then say what you like.

But if this guy is quoting known like "its all a conspiracy" Oreskes and Conway, then he is already too far gone to be of any real interest.
Posted by Curmudgeon, Thursday, 16 April 2015 10:32:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Only the Loony Left keep propagating these extremist visions of death and destruction due to evil humanity. They have zero credibility except with the Left wing media and academia. Is it any wonder these groups have lost so much credibility?
Posted by Peter Lang, Thursday, 16 April 2015 1:38:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Did you get a chance to meet Ron Hubbard, Evaggelos?

You and him could be great friends - and/or business partners.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 16 April 2015 1:44:11 PM
Come on Evaggelos, cheer up. Things could be worse, a lot worse. You could have lived back in, say, 1750, starving, surrounded by disease, sewage, rich nobles and poor serfs (though you would hardly ever get to see one of the former). On the bright side, you would be looking forward to a brutal but mercifully short life. But I'm sure your history is better than mine. Where I can outdo you is technology. Solar power simply won't cut the mustard for the kind lifestyle I am guessing you envisage for yourself, friends and family - like lots of books and publishers, a fast internet service and cell phone for your research, a bit of foreign travel to broaden your horizons or attend your forum of Greek professors, and maybe an occasional vacation to Hawaii; not to mention adequate food, clothing, shelter, education, health ….there’s no end to the fossil-fuelled luxuries you presently enjoy. Sorry there'll be none of that if you depend on sunshine. Perhaps you could take on a simple project: build a solar power station using nothing but solar energy. You can send progress reports to Online Opinion. By the way, I fully acknowledge the current state of climate science and its projections of a two degree or so rise in global temperature by 2100. I just don't accept your remedy.
Posted by Tombee, Thursday, 16 April 2015 2:12:36 PM
What we have here is a fruitcake, one step away from becoming the next unibomber.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 16 April 2015 8:21:21 PM
“Science tells us that burning petroleum, methane and coal is dangerous because the resulting gases heat the Earth. “

The author shows his science illiteracy. The above is an hypothesis. There is no empirical scientific evidence that substantiates the hypothesis that anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions cause dangerous global warming.
Posted by Raycom, Friday, 17 April 2015 12:14:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy