The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A nation of victims > Comments

A nation of victims : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 24/12/2014

Owning any object for the purpose of self-defence, lethal or non-lethal, is a criminal offence. Those trapped within the Lindt café were left helpless, as carrying items for self-defence is not allowed under State law.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. 22
  13. 23
  14. All
Hi Hasbeen.

Let's look at a successful, non violent society and see how they did it.

England attained the lowest homicide rate ever recorded by any industrialised society (0.5 per 100,000) even though firearms laws were almost non existent until 1930.

This great achievement was caused by strict censorship and a socially responsible English media. In all of their novels, movies, newspapers, dramas and radio plays, violent criminals were portrayed the way that every prison officer and police officer will tell you that they really are. Weak, impulsive, selfish, morally bankrupt, and not real bright. What violent role models the English media produced were men like Wellington, Biggles, Fighter Command pilots, Robin Hood, TE Lawrence, Baden Powell, and Sherlock Holmes. These role models were portrayed as the quintessential Englishmen, loyal,. adventurous, brave, and with impeccable manners. They were dismissive of danger by means of an understated sense of humour and "a stiff upper lip."

Violence committed by these men was never on a personal level, but only on behalf of the King, the Parliament, or the Empire. These role models were idolised by generations of adolescent boys, and they nurtured a recognisable national character of the English gentleman, that was not only admired by Britain's friends, but even by Britain's enemies.

But today this powerful social controller has been reversed. The Hollywood inspired movies of today portray armed robbers, drug traffickers, hired murderers, and criminal gang members as action movie heroes and macho men. Their on screen behaviour depicted as cool behaviour, provides inspirational scripts for the behaviour of emotionally immature young men who are not real bright and prone to violent behaviour.

"Action" movies usually involve a hero who is a loner misfit who tasks control of a dangerous situation by ignoring all laws and hitting back violently at his tormentors. This attracts the attention of female of high quality breeding material. These movies are actually engineered to appeal to young, indolent and emotionally immature young men, who may harbour resentments that they are powerles to act upon. The same sort of person most likely to emulate the behaviour.
Posted by LEGO, Monday, 29 December 2014 8:15:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Hasbeen.

Let's look at a successful, non violent society and see how they did it.

England attained the lowest homicide rate ever recorded by any industrialised society (0.5 per 100,000) even though firearms laws were almost non existent until 1930.

This great achievement, was caused by strict censorship and a socially responsible English media. In all English novels, movies, newspapers, dramas, and radio plays, violent criminals were portrayed the way that every prison officer and police officer will tell you that they really are. Weak, impulsive, selfish, morally bankrupt, and not real bright. What violent role models the English media produced were men like Wellington, Biggles, Fighter Command pilots, Robin Hood, TE Lawrence, Baden Powell, and Sherlock Holmes. These role models were portrayed as the quintessential Englishmen, loyal,. adventurous, brave, smart,and with impeccable manners. They were dismissive of danger by means of an understated sense of humour and "a stiff upper lip."

Violence committed by these men was never on a personal level, but only on behalf of the King, the Parliament, or the Empire. These role models, idolised by generations of adolescent boys, nurtured a recognisable national character of the English gentleman, that was not only admired by Britain's friends, but oddly enough, even by Britain's enemies.

But today this powerful social controller has been reversed. The Hollywood inspired movies of today portray armed robbers, drug traffickers, hired murderers, and criminal gang members as action movie heroes and macho men. Their on screen behaviour, depicted as cool, provides inspirational scripts for the behaviour of emotionally immature young men who are not real bright, and prone to violent behaviour.

"Action" movies usually involve a hero who is a loner misfit, who tasks control of a dangerous situation by ignoring all laws and hitting back violently at his tormentors. This attracts the attention of female of high quality breeding material. These movies are actually engineered to appeal to young, sedentary, powerless, and emotionally immature young men. The same sort of person most likely to emulate the violence because he thinks it is admirable behaviour.
Posted by LEGO, Monday, 29 December 2014 8:34:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu,

He didn't upset me, I just decided to tell him that there were others around who'd seen a bit of nastiness but didn't blame it on 'tools of trade'.
Yes, I was 3RAR but was in the battalion after Kapyong and bloody glad that I wasn't there!!
I had quite a few mates who were though and their experiences in that battle were hair raising.
By the time of Vietnam I was a civvy in the Dept of Defence but working in RAEME and a lot of the time in support of the boys in Vietnam.
Before most Units left we used to give their SLRs and M60s a thorough rebuild so that reliability was near 100% as could be got.

Most people will never realize the deep hurt that Vietnam Veterans suffered at the hands of those that engineered the hostile reception that many of them got when they came home.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 29 December 2014 9:14:59 PM
Dear Aidan,

<<I think raw milk cheesemaking should be permitted, but strictly licenced with every batch tested before it can be sold.>>

So now I should thank you, thank you, thank you, for your gracious permit...

Who are you and that government of yours in the first place to tell us what we may or may not drink or eat?

I never asked them to protect me: my life is my own and whether I live or die is none of their business!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 29 December 2014 11:31:00 PM
Yuyutsu,
<<So now I should thank you, thank you, thank you, for your gracious permit...>>
Absolutely not! I'm not suggesting arbitrary granting of licences for making raw milk cheese, but rather licencing depending on the ability to comply with predetermined conditions.

<<Who are you and that government of yours in the first place to tell us what we may or may not drink or eat?>>
I am an Australian citizen and have a right to free speech.
The government are the people Australians have elected to make laws.

<<I never asked them to protect me: my life is my own and whether I live or die is none of their business!>>
But when the lives of children are involved, it does become the government's business.
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 30 December 2014 1:14:38 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<Who are you and that government of yours in the first place to tell us what we may or
<may not drink or eat?

<I never asked them to protect me: my life is my own and whether I live or die is none of
<<their business!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 29 December 2014 11:31:00 PM

Yuyutsu, in this country as with other western or first world countries, governments have certain laws applying the hygiene standard for food and beverages.

Such laws are there to protect, the consumer (that means you as well) from being poisoned or made unwell from contaminated food products.

These same governments also protect or attempt to protect us from unsafe medicines.

Look at what happened in China with the baby formula scandals and the deaths of many babies.

<I never asked them to protect me: my life is my own and whether I live or die is none of
<<their business!

Firstly that is an incredibly narcissistic and self centred way to live your life. All societies require some degree of compliance from its citizens to follow the rules and regulations of that society.

So it doesn't matter if it is China, Malaysia or Australia there will be rules and regulations to follow. Some are determined by the government and others by the village or town or your own family circle.
Posted by Wolly B, Tuesday, 30 December 2014 7:41:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. 22