The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A nation of victims > Comments

A nation of victims : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 24/12/2014

Owning any object for the purpose of self-defence, lethal or non-lethal, is a criminal offence. Those trapped within the Lindt café were left helpless, as carrying items for self-defence is not allowed under State law.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. 21
  13. 22
  14. 23
  15. All
misanthrope you say you know everything about guns because you've seen "all the death near my house by police and army police and others people with guns." Straight after saying "Guns are bad and people should not have them other than Army, and police and special people who protect other people should have them no one else at all I think."
Curious logic misanthrope. Albanian logic perhaps..

My interpretation of what you say is Albania's a nation of victims because criminals uniformed and freelance have guns and everybody else is vulnerable.
Well that's the situation we're in right now. Only way to fix it is to restore a natural balance. That's what David Leyonhjelm's talking about.

By the way I grew up in Tasmania where every second house had firearms and other than pistol licencing there were no controls on ownership of firearms at all and police didn't carry sidearms. And supprise supprise there were no problems at all. Now police look like soldiers, criminals are carrying firearms and everyone else is heavily restricted from owning arms. And holy cow now people are seeing armed hold ups and neighbors being shot by police. Go figure.
Posted by jamo, Monday, 29 December 2014 9:02:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just had a couple more shooting incidents in Sydney, one dead.

Safer Australia in action!

One wonders why, as our Firearm Registries are based on the Canadian model of the time, why we are not still following Canada's lead?

Did you know that under the Uniform National Firearm Laws if a woman wears a cartridge belt with chrome plated fired cases in it as a fashion accessory in NSW it is just a weird bit of fashion but in Western Australia it is a criminal offence as WA doesn't allow the possession of fired cartridge cases without the appropriate licence.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 29 December 2014 9:40:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
On the upside Is Mise we can take comfort in the knowlege we're helping the rest of the world by being the example increasingly used to show what not to do.

It's a fact. Australian gun laws along with the UKs are held up as examples of failed experiments.
Posted by jamo, Monday, 29 December 2014 10:01:46 AM
I'm not sure we can blame the media completely LEGO, there has always been violence in movies, & in TV when it came along.

I guess Tom Mix, & Hopalong Cassidy, & the marshal in Gunsmoke did manage to shoot the gun out of the bad guys hand, rather than kill, but my cowboy suit came with a holster & cap pistol after all. Perhaps we were better at differentiating reality back then.

Yes the shoot them up cop shows must have an effect, but I think our changed culture has more to do with it.

In the 50/60s there were punch-ups behind the pub, with the crowd ensuring a fair fight. King hit/cowards punch types would quickly have their attitude corrected. Stabbing & glassing were unheard of.

I think some of the change came with mass migration in the 50/60s, but then accelerated greatly with different ethnic migration in the last couple of decades.

What would have once been despised as a cowardly act, has progressively penetrated into the old culture. Of course, the growth of profitability of criminal enterprises could also have more than a little effect.

I don't think you can rule out population pressure as part of the problem either.

As for victims, last night some fool woman was raving on TV that they had banned the sale of raw milk, & how clever they were. All they have done is make victims of dairy farmers, & people who don't want to buy their milk from Coles. She was so proud of herself, stupid cow. Our lack of private weapons will kill many more than a few bottles of contaminated raw milk.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 29 December 2014 12:07:18 PM
G'day IS MISE...

I can see MISANTHROPE has annoyed you a bit, I wouldn't let him/her worry you, it's just his/her opposition to 'ALL' F/A's is all, and whatever occurred in Albania I guess ?

I'm probably wrong, you were with 3 RAR in Korea perhaps ? They received the US Distinguished Unit Citation for Kapyong. I notice you blokes wear the famous Blue Beret, symbol of the United Nations Forces too. The Aussies were very highly regarded for their Korean War record. I notice you stated you wore a 'foreign award' on your right side, as well as your Aussie gongs on your left ? That's what gave me the clue I suppose ?

On the other hand us Vietnam Vets copped heaps both while over there and upon our return. All we got when we came home was a mouthful of abuse and accusations of being murderers etc. Still time does tend to heal most wounds, not all mind you, but most ? Take it easy IS MITE, and don't let that bloke/women upset you OK ?

Remember IS MISE, you have 'NOTHING' to prove ! It's up to others now, to prove themselves !
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 29 December 2014 2:30:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen
"As for victims, last night some fool woman was raving on TV that they had banned the sale of raw milk, & how clever they were. All they have done is make victims of dairy farmers, & people who don't want to buy their milk from Coles. She was so proud of herself, stupid cow. Our lack of private weapons will kill many more than a few bottles of contaminated raw milk."
No dairy farmer is damaged by banning the sale of raw milk, and there are plenty of shops other than Coles which sell milk. Our lack of private weapons will save orders of magnitude more people than it will kill. And I see nothing wrong with restricting the sale of a harmful product that has recently resulted in the death of a child.

Having said that, I think raw milk cheesemaking should be permitted, but strictly licenced with every batch tested before it can be sold.
Posted by Aidan, Monday, 29 December 2014 7:55:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. 21