The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ends don't justify means > Comments

Ends don't justify means : Comments

By Toby O'Brien, published 24/10/2014

Taxpayers are being rorted by the Government's policy of offshore detention.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Dear Is Mise,

<<The same as animals that are a feral pest?>>

Those who actually behave like feral pests can be treated like feral pests. Most however do not and you may not automatically assume that everyone is a feral pest only because they arrive by boat without a visa - even more so when there are Australians who are happy and capable to take them as pets or as livestock and be responsible to ensure that they do no harm to the community.

Feral pests are not locked up and tortured. Every precaution is taken to ensure that they die as quickly and painlessly as possible, according to the best practices of the RSPCA.

(note however, that at this particular time it is justified to lock boat-arrivals up for 21 days in quarantine, minus the time they've already been isolated at sea, in order to protect the community from Ebola: this however applies just as well to people arriving by plane with a visa)

Regardless, even when people behave like feral pests, when possible I would try humane options first, such as giving them boats to continue their journey elsewhere.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 27 October 2014 8:18:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The best way to control feral pests is to prevent life forms known to create environmental mayhem and social problems from to getting into Australia.

Yuyutsu wants to live forever, and she thinks that being nice to anybody who wants to barge into Australia will get her brownie points with some Big Daddy in Heaven. Who cares what problems it causes Australia? This life is only a veil of teas where the virtuous are separated from the philistines. It will be pie in the sky when Yuyutsu dies.

I hope you don't end up in the Muslim heaven, Yuyutsu. The US Marines have killed off so many Jihadis that Allah is running out of virgins. He might have a job for you in heaven that will last he next thousand million, billion, trillion, skillion, quadrillion years that you may find rather distasteful.
Posted by LEGO, Wednesday, 29 October 2014 5:10:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear LEGO,

<<and she thinks that being nice to anybody who wants to barge into Australia will get her brownie points>>

You call treating someone like an animal "being nice"? How would you like being treated like that yourself?

<<I hope you don't end up in the Muslim heaven, Yuyutsu.>>

Thank you, LEGO, much appreciated!

In fact, I do not wish to end up in any heaven - for my view of heaven, see http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=15820#274189

>>> "Isn't heaven nothing but a larger-scale temptation and isn't hell nothing but a larger-scale place of purification? Then shouldn't we all say that hell is better than heaven?!" <<<
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 29 October 2014 6:10:21 PM
I have, Yuyutsu.

My mother and I waited 6 years for a Housing Commision flat after being assessed as "most in need". The HC assessor found us living in a room rented from pensioners, and I as an 11 year old boy slept in the same single bed as my mother. And yes, I know what it is like to be bitten by bedbugs. We moved into a Housing Commission flat with a total ownership of one TV set, a folding card table, and an ironing board.

We slept on the concrete floor rolled up in blankets.

The couple across the landing from us was a British couple which had immigrated from Britain that was quite well off. They had waited two years for a Housing Commision flat.

I will never forget my mother's face when she found that out and she said "The damned government thinks more about foreigners than they do their own people!" And that is the charge I level at you, Yuyutsu. You have compassion for everybody but your own people. As far as I am concerned, in Australia, Australians come first.

While ever we have deserving poor in this country who have it in them to stand on their own feet with a little help, then they should be at the head of the queue. You will be happy to know that there was a happy ending. My mother was an usherette, a waitress in milk bars, a cook on remote sheep stations (where she was treated like dirt), and a machinist in a clothing factory making costumes for TV shows. She was so smart and she worked so hard that she eventually became an executive (wardrobe Mistress) for Channel 10.

It taught me that poverty and a lack of brains are linked. Smart people who through misfortune may find themselves at the bottom of society, but who work hard, are upwardly mobile. Dumb people are poor mostly because they are dumb and lazy. Everything I saw about my fellow tenants in my Housing commission complex of 84 units confirmed that premise.
Posted by LEGO, Wednesday, 29 October 2014 7:01:07 PM
Dear LEGO,

Thank you for your life story.

However, this is not relevant to what I wrote, because I made it clear that those who arrive by boat without a visa should not be accepted into Australian society, which includes that they will not receive any public housing or other public assistance. You had four walls, a concrete floor and blankets - they wouldn't even have this (unless good people donate to them of their own) and they could well freeze to death in the cold of desert nights in the outback. You had bedbugs and they could well have spiders and snakes and dingoes, not to mention mosquitoes and whatever else crawls and flies in there. Yet, you are cruel enough to deny them even that, which costs you nothing.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 29 October 2014 8:15:13 PM
LEGO: We moved into a Housing Commission flat with a total ownership of one TV set, a folding card table, and an ironing board.

Sounds like when I got married. We moved into a flat, Fridge & stove. Luckily I used my Army Camp stretcher & a borrowed one, some blankets & sheets borrowed from the Q Store. No TV or Radio. We lived like that for a month until I came off leave.

Don't whinge to me mate, sounds like you had it good.

Most people when they moved into a new house didn't have lawns, tables & chairs, curtains, cupboards or a fridge. New houses did come with a stove though in the 60's. Just think, three bedrooms & bathroom, one toilet down the back. No garage for the car, most people didn't have a car anyway.

You, You got a Council Flat?, Luxury, luxury. We 'ad 'ole in road. Apologies to Monty.
Posted by Jayb, Wednesday, 29 October 2014 8:17:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy