The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Opinion and fact: ministerial expertise, cancers, cars and climate > Comments

Opinion and fact: ministerial expertise, cancers, cars and climate : Comments

By Rob Cover, published 15/8/2014

Off-hand, ideologically-driven or politically-motivated opinions disguised as facts are nothing new in political discourse.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
>"While off-hand, ideologically-driven or politically-motivated opinions disguised as facts are nothing new in political discourse"

I have to agree with tat statement. Clearly it is the Left that has the monopoly on " off-hand, ideologically-driven or politically-motivated opinions disguised as facts".
Posted by Peter Lang, Friday, 15 August 2014 8:33:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
‘morning Rob,

An amusing if not disturbing article. Amusing because it promotes the “Twitteratzi Got-ya” style MSM activism, created by progressives, as a means of criticizing non-progressives?

Oh dear! How does that work Rob? Or should I ask how does that work outside the cloistered world of our Universities?

Disturbing? Yes, because this article should carry scholarly, considered, well researched, credible and structured analysis of the case you wish to make. Sadly you have cobbled together a narrative to cloak your own ideological persuasions. You have been notably unsuccessful at that also.

Perhaps Twitter would be a medium more suited to your thinking?

Alternatively, should you wish to meet more exacting standards for yourself and perhaps your esteemed University, you could go back to the Rede Lecture by C.P. Snow and work forwards in time. This will tell you everything you need to know about why you write such stuff
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 15 August 2014 9:19:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for this balanced article which suggests very sensibly to my way of thinking, that we pause and think about our views. This should be the particular responsibility of politicians and business "leaders" whose "opinions" for good or ill, sometimes go viral. The background and connections of "opinionistas" are vital to assessing how they select their facts and how valid these facts are. I notice that Graham (our moderator) states upfront his background. A healthy thing in my view. Stephenroger1.
Posted by Stevenroger, Friday, 15 August 2014 9:50:57 AM
An excellent opinion piece which should be read and debated across Australia. The dumbing down of information is closely related to the process of dumbing down our democracy. We deserve better. Rigorous and relevant research must be given far greater importance in Australian society. Unfortunately, very few federal MPs and Senators have research higher degrees and place opinion ahead of facts. We only get the politicians we elect. Higher standards need to be set and expected by the electorate.
Posted by Macedonian advocacy, Friday, 15 August 2014 11:42:31 AM
Thank heavens for fact checkers and A+ articles just like this one Rob!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 15 August 2014 12:47:53 PM
Yes Peter Lang

Not only the Left "has the monopoly on " off-hand, ideologically-driven or politically-motivated opinions disguised as facts"" but all of the Right.

My fact-finders tell me that all Coalition politicians in NSW are being scrutinised by ICAC due to influence peddling, bribes and backhanders in Bent-lays with whores.

Yep happy Joe Hockey has lately become whiny-cranky Joe Hockey. He needs to blow his snotty nose. No wonder Abbott is staying away from him.

Having spent his whole life in North Sydney Joe's factual knowledge of the 95% of Australian who are less privileged than North Sydneyites is as factually stunted as a numbat on plonk.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 15 August 2014 4:39:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy