The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Opinion and fact: ministerial expertise, cancers, cars and climate > Comments

Opinion and fact: ministerial expertise, cancers, cars and climate : Comments

By Rob Cover, published 15/8/2014

Off-hand, ideologically-driven or politically-motivated opinions disguised as facts are nothing new in political discourse.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I’m all for facts, and basing decisions on facts.

I’m for governments that call on various experts and also members of the public, and then listen to them, and then make a decision.

I accept that most things have an advantage and a disadvantage, but decisions should be made to insure there are more advantages than disadvantages.

I do not accept politicians or political parties being in government.

Is there anything wrong with this?
Posted by Incomuicardo, Sunday, 17 August 2014 11:35:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes.
Posted by plantagenet, Sunday, 17 August 2014 11:45:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Pete old mate; I'm not guilty of advocating miniaturized thorium reactors, just the biggest currently available.
Even so, these 50 MW beasts, can still be mass produced and trucked onsite as very wide loads; which should mean, with a properly prepared site, electricity being produced in days? The Chinese are building one a week?
And given a very local micro grid, for less than half that we are now shelling out for current (cheapest available) power provision.
Or maybe you are one of those imponderables, who just love paying through the neck, for one of the most important of the two economic pillars, that support our economy, and indeed, place us where we are, in terms of compatible wealth creation.
After that, I'm very taken with the biogas/ceramic fuel cell combination, (Aussie innovation both) which has a 80% energy coefficient, or four times better than currently delivered by coal fired power!
Given few if any moving parts to wear out, and no long transmission lines to gobble up or halve the deliverable energy, thereby halving and then halving again, your and my energy bills.
To reiterate the latter option is at least four times cheaper, than any current market based choice!
I'm sure we'll never run out of completely free human waste, or find a more efficient/productive/profitable way to finally dispose of it?
Or the more than useful safe/sanitized byproducts the process also creates!
And thanks mate for giving me a lead into, one of my favorite subjects, the economy and what we need to do, to quite massively improve it and the options, wealth creating opportunities/ unprecedented prosperity, it gives every Australian man women and child!
Cheers, Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Sunday, 17 August 2014 11:47:41 AM
A cigar chomping Joe says he has no evil in his heart toward the most vulnerable!
And very sincerely apologies for your and my take on his words.
Well that's all good and fine, and just to typical of a blame shifting pollie? It's all your fault imbecile!
Even so Joe, talk (endless platitudes) is cheap and actions speak far louder than words!
And to date your proposed action, will do real harm to the most vulnerable.
So don't give me your platitudes or endless spin; just dump the most unpopular budget in recent history, and introduce a new and better one.
All you really need do mate, is remove all welfare for the rich, to boost the budget bottom line by a round 70 billions, or more than enough to end the deficit and even start seriously paying down the debt.
If debt was the real problem you say it is mate, then you'd take my advice, and then sell it to those currently in receipt of clearly unneeded welfare!
Be they wealthy waddling landlords living high on the hog of negative gearing, or family trusts created for the express provision/purpose of avoiding a comparably fair share of a common tax burden.
THE AGE OF ENTITLEMENT IS OVER! QUOTE, UNQUOTE!
And if you don't do that, the only possible reason, would be perceived reduced reelection prospects?
Yeah?
So, where do you think they're now sunshine?
When you're in a really deep hole, your need to; one, stop digging; two, start building a ladder or a stairway!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Sunday, 17 August 2014 12:11:00 PM
Thanks Rhrosty

Can you please put me down for 3 of them thar thorium reactors, just the biggest currently available. Please drop them off in my drive as a couple of blokes from Dapto have got themselves contract with Dr J. R. von Strangelove to install them in the needy suburbs of:

- Toorak

- Double Bay, and

- Springfield, Adelaide

No opposition from the thread bare burghers of these suburbs is expected, as I the Australian reactor Kommissar say "Like it, love it or lump it".

If these reactors are safe to place in country communities there's no reason why they'll be unsafe in city centers full of white people. And no need for environmental impact studies or any public consultation with the great unwashed.

I understand these reactors are really cheap and simple to build and operate so they are ideal replacements for hydro-carbon power stations and roof-top solar cells.

I'm planning to modify them sufficiently to place mini-reactors next to fridges or water heaters in every humpy across this wide, wunnerful land.

Cheers

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Sunday, 17 August 2014 12:19:36 PM
plantagenet,

I have the answer.

We dispense with facts and all that, and go back to being run by kings or queens.

They could wake up in the morning, and have servants bring them a delightful breakfast.

Later in the day, (if the mood suits them), they open a window of their castle, and make a proclamation to the masses waiting down below.

The masses should be grateful for this, and go about their daily business, fully aware that the king or queen has their best interests at heart.

http://images.smh.com.au/2013/12/18/5018813/art-Abbott_car-620x349.jpg
Posted by Incomuicardo, Sunday, 17 August 2014 12:48:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy