The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It’s about time the exit death industry was investigated > Comments

It’s about time the exit death industry was investigated : Comments

By Paul Russell, published 23/7/2014

The idea that suicide can be somehow rational cannot change our total opposition to suicide.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. All
Dear Yuyutsu,

Happiness must be temporary. If we did not know sorrow we would not know happiness. We recognise happiness because it contrasts with other emotions. Eternal happiness is impossible because we must have the contrast which would not exist if happiness were eternal.

You are correct. Of course if there is evidence for its existence it must be part of the physical universe. There can be no evidence for anything outside the physical universe.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 24 July 2014 7:32:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm in a position to converse with people quite frequently about the pros and cons of capital punishment -for the real hard cases, like Martin Bryant, Ivan Milat, Robert Long... The consensus has always been overwhelmingly in favour.
I've always spoken against capital punishment, largely because I haven't encountered -or heard of- any politicians that I would like to entrust that much power to.
If killing others is wrong, then it should always be wrong.
I don't however have any moral objection to criminals who have been given life sentences having the right to commit suicide. Not only would such a course be more humane (they shoot horses, don't they?) it would also save the prison system a lot of money.
Put a noose and a trap door in every cell on Death Row.
Posted by Grim, Thursday, 24 July 2014 7:40:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
yutsie: probably you would not even recognise the life forms around you as living, nor be able to communicate with them.

Ah Ha! So.... That's where Ghosts come from. ;-)
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 24 July 2014 8:48:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear David,

You are rightly stating that happiness would not be recognised without sorrow.

The question is what's more important: to recognise happiness - or to be happy?

If you are happy because of something external, then when that something is gone you will become unhappy. If however you are happy just being who you are (which is God, but lets not get into this now), then nothing can break your happiness because you can never be anything but yourself.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 25 July 2014 2:01:09 AM
Dear Yuyutsu,

You wrote: "If however you are happy just being who you are (which is God, but lets not get into this now), then nothing can break your happiness because you can never be anything but yourself."

If you don't want to get into nonsense why refer to it? I have no illusions of there being a God or me being that imaginary entity.
Posted by david f, Friday, 25 July 2014 8:46:25 AM
"If you don't want to get into nonsense why refer to it? I have no illusions of there being a God or me being that imaginary entity."

Not your illusions, david f, but Yuyutsu's allusions are that you are...

As the great Gloria Gaynor sang, "I am what I am. I am my own special creation." Interestingly, given the article, she is also famous for "Never can say goodbye" and "I will survive."
Posted by WmTrevor, Friday, 25 July 2014 9:59:28 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13