The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It’s about time the exit death industry was investigated > Comments

It’s about time the exit death industry was investigated : Comments

By Paul Russell, published 23/7/2014

The idea that suicide can be somehow rational cannot change our total opposition to suicide.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All
There is always hope? Nonsense.

The demand that every action be completely rational if satisfied would act to contain the population explosion as it would prevent most marriage & most sexual relations. Bug off, Russell! Don't interfere with my decision to do what I want with my life.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 23 July 2014 5:09:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"But there is always hope; there is always some other solution."

No, there isn't. About ten years ago I developed depression and paranoia as a result of an untreated thyroid condition. Luckily it was diagnosed and can be treated by a couple of tablets per day. Had I been unlucky enough to have the same condition in, say, 1800, then no amount of "time, good counselling, talking to family and friends, taking exercise and a good night's rest" could have helped me in any way, and to pretend they could would have been fatuous and cruel. My life would have been utterly unbearable and I would probably have ended it.

There are people today in a parallel situation. No doubt there is a reason for their misery. No doubt one day we will be able to determine that reason and treat it as easily as an underactive thyroid. But until then it's only fair and humane to allow them to decide for themselves whether their lives are worth living; regardless of the grief it may cause their friends and relatives, or the offence taken by those who believe that homicide should be the special privilege of their Invisible Friend.
Posted by Jon J, Thursday, 24 July 2014 6:52:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author really hasn't presented any argument against the idea that suicide can be a rational decision. Without the delusion of religion, rational, healthy people can reach their own conclusions as to whether or not continued existence is justified. Our pagan ancestors usually regarded suicide as a personal choice, then, with the appearance of Christianity it became society's business.

I agree with most of the previous comments, believers should mind their own business, unfortunately they usually don't.
Posted by mac, Thursday, 24 July 2014 8:34:06 AM
LOL When I first read the title of this thread "the exit death industry" I thought it was about cryonics : http://tinyurl.com/ljhffd6

(it would have made for a much more interesting discussion)
Posted by SPQR, Thursday, 24 July 2014 9:03:37 AM
SPQR,

Cryonic 'preservation' is probably about as much use as mummification, although it's a nice little earner for the cryonics companies.
Posted by mac, Thursday, 24 July 2014 12:02:31 PM
Mac,

I wonder who will get the last laugh?

When you and I (though I am still considering my options!) are but dust blowing in the wind some of those frozen mummies might have been reawakened and physically and mentally enhanced.

I mean, when you think about it what have you got to lose? On the one hand you have certain death (and whatever that entails) and on the other a chance, however small, that you might reap immortality.

A la Pascal <<“even under the assumption that God’s existence is unlikely, the potential benefits of believing are so vast as to make the bet worthwhile>>

My thinking is that sooner or later we will get there – just so long as the Lefties don’t undercut the advancement of science.
Posted by SPQR, Thursday, 24 July 2014 1:24:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy