The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It’s about time the exit death industry was investigated > Comments

It’s about time the exit death industry was investigated : Comments

By Paul Russell, published 23/7/2014

The idea that suicide can be somehow rational cannot change our total opposition to suicide.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
How dare you say what I can do with my own life. If I want to end it, then that's my privilege. You don't own me. If I think, and medical experts agree I am rational, then that's all I need to make that decision. I don't want any devout busy-body guiding my existence on this planet. You really make me angry.
Posted by snake, Wednesday, 23 July 2014 8:12:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What nonsense it is to claim that this, and I quote, "macabre and clandestine industry" has not been subjected to intense public scrutiny from the get-go. It has received little but intense and public scrutiny.
And how about the attempted slide around the central reason for voluntarily ending one's life by referring to a "difficult prognosis"? Would that be a reference to a lingering and inevitable death without hope of remission but with a promise of great indignity and pain?
And once again we come to the central argument of this debate, or central to my way of thinking at any rate: It is not those who are in favour of voluntary euthanasia who are trying to tell others how to live and ultimately end their life; it is, rather, those who are against this idea whose time has surely come who are.
Posted by halduell, Wednesday, 23 July 2014 9:02:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That is the problem with all these god botherers. All they can offer is hope, hope that things will be better in the future, when realistically things can only get worse. Even their funeral services are only able to offer "sure and certain hope" of a better life in the hereafter. We should leave them to their own delusions.

No one is advocating compulsory suicide. That is just a straw man argument put up by those opposed to it. How I end my life should be my choice. I have recently sat by while a loved one slowly died, fortunately well sedated by expert palliative care nurses, but for those without the availability of that sort of care, suicide would be a very real choice.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 23 July 2014 9:40:41 AM
I have no problem with people who want to commit suicide. For medical reasons it brings a dignified end instead of lingering pain.

For others it cleanses the Gene Pool. Those people have no coping mechanism to deal with the realities of life. They are a drag on their friends & Society. It's sad for their family, however for those people & family, friends & Society suicide is a blessing in disguise.
Posted by Jayb, Wednesday, 23 July 2014 10:03:11 AM
Of course people who are depressed should be able to get help. Anyone who has any problem should be able to get help from someone in a civilized society.
But how can anyone claim the right to force someone to live against their will?
My body is my own. No one has the right to tell me what I can and can't do with it. I certainly would never suggest I have any right to dictate to others what they can and can't do with theirs.
Where the hell do you get off making life and death decisions for other people.
Who elected you God?
You need to learn to Mind Your Own Business Mr Russell.
Posted by Grim, Wednesday, 23 July 2014 10:06:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Neither living nor dying is rational.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 23 July 2014 3:30:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy