The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The male cloak of invisibility > Comments

The male cloak of invisibility : Comments

By Caitlin Roper, published 4/6/2014

The national dialogue surrounding men's violence against women shifts attention from male perpetrators and onto female victims.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Robert : I agree with what you say that there are injustices in the system that need to be addressed. Many of these injustices exist because many of the people who make judgements have been bullied and intimidated by the very mob mentality that I described. This is not unique to the question of DV but permeates courts in many issues affecting society. The answer is to have stronger judges that are not affected by the emotional manipulation of those who are not concerned about violence but are only interested in pushing their own personal agenda of avoiding their insecurities.

If the mob can be shown for what it truly is then hopefully it will disperse and its influence will cease. Society should not change because it is bullied and intimidated into change by people hitching themselves to a cause just for their own neurotic reasons. Society should change because it is reasonable and just to do so
Posted by phanto, Friday, 6 June 2014 9:31:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Robert,WollyB
Yeah but with Feminists like Charlie Pickering what you say is more important than what you do, as long as you're repeating the right phrases in the right order you're "active" in the fight against social ills.
I recall that some of the old Christian Temperance Union pamphlets from the early 1900's are available online via the National Library, when you read them the continuity of thought and the practical politics has mostly carried through to White Ribbon and the other Hipster "activist" networks.
We reactionaries call all these pundits, Tracey Spicer,Charlie Pickering, Clementine Ford and their ilk the "New Church Ladies", it's just a public competition among stuffy, self important prudes and squares to outdo each other in their displays of political correctness.
Maybe now Caitlin Roper will be invited to join the doyens and matrons of polite society, the idiotic,Twittering awareness raisers of the "hashtag wars".
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/754/874/382.png
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 6 June 2014 9:47:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well done, Caitlin. Goebbels could hardly have done better! At least one third of domestic violence is committed by women against men - nearly all academic studies show this.

Until we start to oppose partner abuse regardless of the victim's gender we are just going backwards as a society.

Say 'no' to domestic violence - all violence! Why can't you agree with that, Caitlin?
Posted by rogindon, Friday, 6 June 2014 8:08:03 PM
<Until we start to oppose partner abuse regardless of the victim's gender we are just going backwards as a society.
Say 'no' to domestic violence - all violence! Why can't you agree with that, Caitlin?>

That seems reasonable enough.
Posted by onthebeach, Friday, 6 June 2014 11:47:41 PM
Erin Pizzey - Toronto Domestic Violence Symposium 2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK1BhS_Ynqg#t=517
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 8 June 2014 9:15:15 AM
The mansplaining is strong in this comment section. Of course a woman talking about the fact that the language we use to describe male violence against women IS in fact weakened turns into some personal defect within her. That's just men not wanting to shine a light on male violence for what reason I don't know. Collective guilt? What they don't realize is every time they try changing the topic to something else or attack the woman that wrote this piece, they are showing women that they don't care and want the status quo.

This is why I am very accurate about my language on my blog.

Male violence against women and children is a huge problem. It doesn't need to get larger than it already is to be the huge issue that it is.

When men blame the author they make me wonder if there's something inherently wrong with men. You do it to yourselves guys.
Posted by HouseMouse, Tuesday, 17 June 2014 7:41:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy