The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why we broke the law > Comments

Why we broke the law : Comments

By Laura Vertigan, published 17/4/2014

I was one of those weirdo Christians who got arrested in Julie Bishop's office yesterday.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18
  13. All
God bless you, Laura.

I am proud of your courage and compassion.

I am not familiar with what you did in Bishop's office.
I do not generally approve of trespassing, but whether it's OK to trespass on those who constantly trespass on our lives, is a very complex question.
I am afraid that what you did hardly made a dent in the misery of detained children.
I think that to help those children, covert ways should be more effective than your overt ones.

Here is a dilemma:

If it was possible to quietly free all refugees, but in order to deter others, keep falsely advertising through the media and through conscientious people like yourself, that 10000's of children are being locked up in detention-centres under the most horrible conditions - would you cooperate with the government in order to help those children?

If I were in Abbott's place, I would secretly release all refugees into the community and instead fill the detention-centres with actors and allow photographers to sneak in near the fences, supposedly unbeknown, and film them in seemingly squalid conditions, or even interview them, hearing stories of beatings and torture.

Can we know for sure that children are indeed currently being detained? Can we know for sure that you, Laura, are not part of the system?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 17 April 2014 2:47:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When numbers of so-called asylum seekers, discovered that an Australian passport was permanently off the table, many opted to return home.
How do we know who needs asylum? Well, if genuine, as with many post war applicants, presenting with identifying documents, genuine asylum seekers self identify!
Some former asylum seekers, (genuine) are on the public record, stating they would gladly suffer the travails of a tropical paradise, in comparative safety, than tolerate the terrible conditions in some of the camps.
Our new deals with places like Cambodia, will limit asylum seekers, to the genuine!
Some of who, have spent literal generations in camps, far and away, far worse than anything on Mannus or Nauru!
True Christians would be able to discriminate, and stop an evil people smuggling trade, the very first consequence of which, denies genuine asylum seekers, an allotted place!
People, who can shell out $15,000 for a short one way journey from Indonesia, would have to find far less money, if they kept their papers and passports, and traveled here as fare paying tourists, and then claimed asylum on arrival!
It'd be a lot cheaper and infinitely safer!
The reason they deliberately destroy their documents, are varied and many?
However, the deliberate destruction of any and all identifying documentation, allows war criminals and persons that would otherwise fail a reasonable character assessment, to simply beat a very fair appraisal system!
And as for those poor persecuted Tamils?
Well Southern India is just a few hours away by boat! On a clear day, by tinnie!
And India, has a very large, very sympathetic Tamil population!
Surely Tamils would have found genuine safety, just a couple of hours from their home?
Instead of taking the very dangerous journey, that risks the lives of women and children.
I think we need another new law, which should read!
No papers, no processing! Break that one at your personal peril!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 17 April 2014 2:49:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Laura,

Sometimes it is hard to see any Christianity in Christians. If you have joined the ranks of refugee advocates, civil rights lawyers and the Green left, then I fail to understand how your compassion and values for all human life went out the window.

I understand that your theological values drove you to protest against those like Julie Bishop who saved the lives of over 1,000 men women an children, I understand that you perceive that over 1,000 men women and children in detention are worse off than being dead, I understand that you have not been with the men and women of our ADF forces as they retrieved the drowned bloated bodies of children and the body parts of their parents, I understand your determination to distance yourself from your policies that caused such carnage.

I don’t understand how you sleep at night? If what you are saying is a reflection of Christianity, then a pox on it along with all those who support it.

At the very least you should cease drawing attention to your political ideology and stop hiding behind your theology, law and religion.

You’re a disgrace to humanity let alone Christianity. Accept your own culpability for such tragedies and stop the “laying of blame” on those who want it ended.

One day you will awake from your ideological naivety and beg forgiveness of your maker for your transgressions against his youngest and most vulnerable creations, his children. You will ultimately be judged by your creator and will say to him what? Oh Lord, I offer my article on OLO, but I was young and naive?

If you have children of your own, one day one of them might ask you the one question that will destroy you. “Why did all those children die Mummy?” Your sad, sorry, dysfunctional, deviant and valueless heart will be ripped out, and so it should be.

Dead children are dead, thank your maker that they are not YOURS and that someone outside your own religion is trying to look after them!

Yours in abject disgust,

spindoc.
Posted by spindoc, Thursday, 17 April 2014 3:20:57 PM
carol83,Refugee Advocates are contemptible people, can you please instruct us on what politically correct language we should be using to express our disgust at such individuals?
Rhrosty,
Yes the 'Anti Racist" loves to point out that in the postwar European migration many "Nazi" fugitives were admitted to Australia disguising themselves as refugees and no doubt later many Communist war criminals also made their way here from Eastern Europe.
There are good reasons for the ethnic conflicts in Asia, there are good reasons why men are threatened by their enemies or detained, tortured and executed.
Does it ever cross the minds of the advocates that even by their own moral standards just maybe these fugitives deserved to be beaten, burned, starved and otherwise placed under duress.
After all those "Nazis" were fleeing exactly those conditions in postwar Europe, the British and Americans brutally tortured and murdered German prisoners, so if suspected Nazis "deserved" that treatment then perhaps suspected Tamil Tigers, Iranian dissidents and Islamic apostates also deserve everything they get?
So would the Refugee Advocates also give the benefit of the doubt to members and associates of, say the South African AWB if they claimed asylum?
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Thursday, 17 April 2014 3:22:11 PM
I like Julie Bishop; I think she has guts.

The Rudd and Gillard governments have blood on their hands for dismantling a humane and civilized system put in place by Howard which ensured GENUINE refugees and not financial opportunists were given priority.

People like this author and her supporters always adopt a morally patronising and accusative tone towards those who have to pick up the cost of their moral indulgence.

Most of the boat people are Muslims. It is the height of irony given the behaviour of Islam towards women that a women should be subverting the democratic process of her country to support members of a theology which not only abuses women systemically but wishes to overturn the democratic structure of her country which allows her moral indulgence.
Posted by cohenite, Thursday, 17 April 2014 3:22:52 PM
Laura, your naivete is very touching.

Here are (just some of) the headlines resulting from the people you campaign for:

Bangladeshi asylum seeker Rubel Sheikh jailed 15 months ...
Asylum seeker Mohammad Salem Nazari to appear in court ...
Asylum-seeker charged with abduction, two counts of rape ...
Report of sexual assault of asylum seeker | Asia Pacific ...
Australia: Asylum seeker charged with indecent assault
Rape allegation by female asylum seeker in detention ... - Abc
Sexual assault allegation in Christmas island detention ...
Abbott Government in crime crackdown on asylum seekers ...
Female asylum seeker alleges sexual assault by Christmas ...
Report of sexual assault of asylum seeker | Asia Pacific ...
Australia: Asylum seeker charged with indecent assault
Asylum seeker wife bashers released into the community ...

Well may you weep for asylum seekers. How about weeping for their victims?
Posted by cato, Thursday, 17 April 2014 3:37:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18