The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Murdoch massages Abbott message > Comments

Murdoch massages Abbott message : Comments

By Alan Austin, published 31/1/2014

The Abbott government is experiencing more challenges in its early months than many supporters had hoped. Hence Rupert Murdoch has been obliged to expand efforts to conceal some difficulties.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Negative, negative, negative. Why can't you contribute something positive.
You are all boring negativity and predictable.

Here's another slogan.

Stop the boats. You could write a positive story about how Tony and his Minister have stopped the boats. Not one has arrived in Australia in 5 weeks.

Here's another, reduce the debt. Watch the next budget.

And another, get rid of the carbon tax. Watch after the change in the senate.

God you'll have heaps of positive stuff to write about then.

Why don't you write something positive about Craig Thompson, Shorten, the unions, or the National Broadband Network.

Or you could write about how Tony and his foreign minister have deftly handled the Indos. Now that they are now using their navy to help stop the boats.

Or better still how Tony is going to gut the ABC with an enquiry into their financial affairs. Looking to cut waste. Now that could be really positive.
Posted by imajulianutter, Friday, 31 January 2014 8:17:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh Craig Thompson. Did he finally give in and plead guilty. (why was he even allowed to make a plea).
And then did he claim he didnt commit fraud?
That would worth a giggle.
Posted by jodelie, Friday, 31 January 2014 8:51:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The very fact that Alan Austin thinks that society is made richer by printing money, burning down buildings, and destroying capital effectively disqualifies him from any opinion on economics.

"It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a 'dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance."
Murrary Rothbard

You might think no-one could be so dumb as to believe such irrational superstitions but alas Keynesians do exist; and worse, they presume to talk down to others about economics. Bad, I know, but there you have it.
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Friday, 31 January 2014 9:00:28 AM
It is important for our democracy that the MSM is stopped from making Tony Abbott into a Saint or a Leader.

Tony is neither. What he is is a dull symbol of profound mediocrity who is posing as a Prime Minister. His appearance at Davos was hardly inspiring. Indeed, he made no impression there at all! None!

Thanks, Alan, for your article. The truth must be told if our democracy is to function!
Posted by David G, Friday, 31 January 2014 9:19:22 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It was not so long ago that the mad monk never did anything but emphasize the NEGATIVE or say NO to everything - he was thus quite rightly called mister NO.
But that was hey OK!

But when Alan writes a well argued essay supported by references from the international financial press, he is somehow beyond the pale.
It seems like a well argued essay to me and I agree with the comment posted by DavidG.
Anyone who pretends that hundreds of thousands, let alone a million jobs are going to be created here in Australia during the term of this government or even within the next decade is peddling lies.

One small item - even Australia's largest transport company Toll Transport announced that it is closing its Oz based logistics call centre and relocating it to the Philippines today.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Friday, 31 January 2014 10:16:00 AM
As usual Alan has posted a well research paper that is breaking through the Murdoch press's irrational love affair with the libs. I argued with my children, all greenies, that Abbot may be better in office than as opposition leader and campaign runner. I have since realised my mistake. All we have from the libs is the usual bigoted agenda. We now have attacks on the ABC for being unAustralian, anyone on welfare, refugees, unions, wages i.e. the usual liberal obsessions. Let us hope this will be a one term government.
Peter Sellick
Posted by Sells, Friday, 31 January 2014 11:05:22 AM
I agree with David G as well, we are told there have been no boats for five weeks, but how do we the citizens know the truth, perhaps some writers to OLO have inside information, please let me know how you are so positive there have been no boats, I am interested, never believe a politician, they lie, lie and lie.
Posted by Ojnab, Friday, 31 January 2014 11:48:37 AM
Good morning all.

Intriguing discussion, as always. Thank you.

@imajulianutter, yes and no. Good to see you again, too.

Yes, happy to write about all those things. We don’t know if the boats have stopped or not, do we?

But we will certainly not see any reduction in the debt for many years. Mr Hockey has seen the error of his ways before the election and is now bringing the level of borrowings up nearer to where it should be at this stage in the cycle.

Have already written about relations with Indonesia:

http://www.independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/the-inadvertent-abbott-governments-indonesian-crisis,6075

No, there is no chance whatsoever Mr Abbott will touch the ABC.

@Jardine KJ, no, no, no, yes and no.

The Rothbard quote is spot on. Your other observations all incorrect, however. Happy to discuss.

@ Daffy, Sells and Ojnabm, thank you.

Regarding the one term government, it is too soon to tell. But on current polling looks highly likely. At the five month point, the popularity of new governments is usually near its peak and tends to decline from there.

We shall see.

Cheers,

Alan A
Posted by Alan Austin, Friday, 31 January 2014 4:39:52 PM
Another Alan Austin Polemic.

He starts off with "This was immediately arresting because of the PM’s legendary economic illiteracy." completely forgetting that Abbott has more economic qualifications than any Labor PM in living memory with a degree in economics and a Masters from Oxford with a strong economics base.

He then picks through a few opinion pieces criticizing them for not containing the far left imaginary details he would like.

Sorry Alan, anything in the Australian carries far more credibility than the twaddle you spout and post in the Independent Australian.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 1 February 2014 5:23:31 AM
Hello Shadow Minister,

And a happy new year to you too!

No, you are quite mistaken about Mr Abbott’s qualifications. He has no qualifications in economics that anyone can verify.

At Oxford he did not study economics at all.

Where did you get that from, SM? A Murdoch publication? Or the Liberal Party? Remember, SM, they nearly always lie. But the problem is, on the rare occasions they are not lying, they do not alert you to the fact. Frustrating, I know.

You will find Mr Abbott’s Oxford record here:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbotts-oxford-transcript-released-20131125-2y6a1.html

No economics.

At Sydney University, there is no record of him passing any subjects. His Wikipedia entry says “Prior to entering Parliament, he studied for a Bachelor of Economics and a Bachelor of Laws at the University of Sydney.”

But note how it doesn’t say for how many days “he studied for”. And note how it doesn’t say “he gained a degree in …”

The references to his economic illiteracy come from Peter Costello who is quoted as telling Michael Kroger that Tony Abbott is “a DLP stooge and an economic illiterate”.

Corroboration comes from John Hewson who said, “He has no interest in economics and has no feeling for it – he is innumerate”.

Or do you think Costello and Hewson are lying?

Regarding the piece in The Australian by Dennis Shanahan, SM, does it strike you as a little odd that Shanahan spent a week in Davos, filing reports daily saying how amazingly popular, influential and successful Mr Abbott was, but could not provide one name or one quote to substantiate that?

Does it strike you as odd that of the 10,000 or more reports from Davos worldwide, only about ten mention Tony Abbott at all – and Mr Shanahan wrote seven of those?

Cheers,
AA
Posted by Alan Austin, Saturday, 1 February 2014 8:43:38 AM
AA,

And you call yourself a journalist? You are supposed to research the facts and draw your conclusions from them. You appear to have a preconceived opinion and invent the facts to fit it.

It is really sad when left whingers start believing their own propaganda.

There is something new call "GOOGLE" where you can check most facts. Try it for a change.

(Tony Abbott) "He graduated with a Bachelor of Economics (BEc) and a Bachelor of Laws (LLB)[8] from the University of Sydney where he resided at St John's College, and was president of the Student Representative Council.[17] He travelled via India to the UK to study at The Queen's College, Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar, where he graduated with a Master of Arts (MA) in Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)."

Using off hand snippy comments quoted out context years ago as proof of credentials is about as sleazy as the left whingers get.

I take it that the rest of the drivel you posted has the same level of research. I find it difficult to believe that you read all the 10000 reports from Davos. I just did a quick cursory scan of the net for reports from Davos that mentioned Abbott and found several dozen, only one of which was from Dennis
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 1 February 2014 11:39:55 AM
According to the Minister at yesterdays senate enquiry the boats have been stopped and some turnned around. He admitted one illegal immigrant has landed in Aust tbis last month. Reports by the labor greens media alliance re boat arrivals are nil. One could reasonably assume if any had they would report that. In fact they would be claiming it would be evidence The Liberals policy wasn't working. But not boo from them.
Posted by imajulianutter, Saturday, 1 February 2014 1:14:01 PM
Alan your own link to the SMH says clearly Tony Abbott had a degree in Economics fromthe uni of sydney. That contradicts ... your claims.
Don't you read your own evidence?
Posted by imajulianutter, Saturday, 1 February 2014 1:21:35 PM
Good morning again, SM.

Please calm down. And please read what was actually written. It says there is no evidence of Mr Abbott having “qualifications in economics that anyone can verify”. That’s all.

By evidence, I mean a statement of academic record or some similar documentation. There are plenty of claims, and several pointers to the strong likelihood – such as that Wikipedia entry – but no actual evidence.

Please note that I did not say “he has no economics qualifications”. Pretty important difference. No?

Also please note that the title of a degree does not always indicate subject matter. My friend Ian has a doctorate of philosophy. Does this mean he is an authority on Plato, Nietzsche and Heidegger? No, he studied the chemistry of pre-stressed concrete.

Did you read Mark Kenny’s report on Mr Abbott’s Oxford record? Do you still believe he has “a degree in economics and a Masters from Oxford with a strong economics base”?

So. Do we have a link to the subjects Mr Abbott passed at Sydney Uni, SM? If so, please share.

No, I didn’t read 10000 reports from Davos. But certainly made thorough web searches in French, English and German.

Pretty sure nothing was missed. You will find the results of the French and English language searches here:

http://www.independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/abbotts-davos-disaster,6098

If you can find any positive analysis of Mr Abbott’s contribution at Davos which you think I may have missed, then by all means share the link.

Happy to discuss further, SM.

Cheers,

Alan A
Posted by Alan Austin, Saturday, 1 February 2014 8:37:08 PM
Good morning Imajulianutter,

The reality is that you and I just do not know how many boats are arriving on Australian shores or into Australian waters, do we?

The government and the military know, but they want you kept in the dark.

If a boat had landed on Melville Island with 100 Sri Lankans yesterday and the Australian navy had rounded them all up and shipped them back to Indonesian waters and put them in lifeboats within sight of Rote or Sumba, how would we ever know?

The Abbott government has stopped the information about the boats. It may or may not have stopped the boats.

The admission yesterday that at least one refugee was admitted to hospital on Christmas Island suggests the boats have not been stopped at all, doesn’t it?

Regarding Mr Abbott’s degree from Sydney University, Keith, do you know what subjects?

Do you accept that Peter Costello said that Tony Abbott is “a DLP stooge and an economic illiterate”?

Do you accept that John Hewson said, “He has no interest in economics and has no feeling for it – he is innumerate”.

Do you think Costello and Hewson were reflecting their personal knowledge having worked with Mr Abbott, or were they lying?

Happy to discuss,

Cheers,

AA
Posted by Alan Austin, Saturday, 1 February 2014 8:53:21 PM
Alan,

I caught you out in a lie, now you are trying to weasel out of it, but what you posted is in black and white.

First "This was immediately arresting because of the PM’s legendary economic illiteracy." This is a lie that is legendary simply because all the left whingers such as your self keep telling it, not because it has any basis, nor is it believed outside the small incestuous clique of the far left.

Next

"No, you are quite mistaken about Mr Abbott’s qualifications. He has no qualifications in economics that anyone can verify.

At Oxford he did not study economics at all."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151706483857665&set=a.75281052664.80938.502317664&type=1&theater

That is a lie of epic proportions, as it took me only seconds to verify, and the transcript from Oxford certifies that he achieved a second class MA degree from Oxford in Philosophy, politics and economics and recognises his prior qualifications of a bachelor of economics from Sydney University.

Are you seriously claiming that without a transcript of every exam he sat in his 3 degrees and having achieved a Rhodes scholar ship, you will assume that he is unqualified.

If you are caught lying simply apologise and move on. Don't keep digging the hole deeper. However, your journalistic integrity and credibility are shredded.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 2 February 2014 4:58:04 AM
Shadow Minister, get a life and move on. Who cares whether Abbott has a degree in dunny cleaning , all I want is a non secretive leader and that he ain't, and his band of merry men and woman are no better. Cheers for the Independent Australian newspaper and Boos for the Murdoch owned Australian newspaper.
Posted by Ojnab, Sunday, 2 February 2014 9:38:08 AM
Hi Onjab,

Congratulations on the results of your Cult Rhetoric assessment. We are delighted to inform you that you scored 10 out of a possible 19 on the “Hassan Scale” of self indoctrinated proselytizers.

Exhibits a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which causes conflict with the wider society.

Attack Independent Thought - Critical thinking is discouraged as prideful and sinful, blind acceptance encouraged.

Absolutism - Insist on total, unquestioning obedience and submission to the rhetoric, both actions AND thoughts.

Motive Questioning- When sound evidence against is presented, question the motivation of the presenter.

Encourages blind acceptance of the orthodoxy and rejection of logic through complex lectures on incomprehensible doctrines.

Create a false sense of righteousness by pointing to the shortcomings of the outside world.

Supports extreme obsessiveness regarding the group orthodoxy, resulting in the exclusion of almost every practical consideration.

Whenever the orthodoxy is criticized or questioned it is characterized as "persecution".

Adopt "loaded" language (characterized by "thought-terminating clichés").

Rejection of rational analysis, critical thinking, constructive criticism.

Source : Steven Hassan (cult expert). (taken from the BITE analysis)

Don’t you find it just a little curious that those who claim higher “intellect” are the very ones that “adopt and opinion” rather than engage in “rational analysis, critical thinking, constructive criticism” in order to arrive at their own conclusions?

Over your head I guess.
Posted by spindoc, Sunday, 2 February 2014 10:23:07 AM
Hello again SM,

No, not at all.

Re: "This was immediately arresting because of the PM’s legendary economic illiteracy."

Did you click the embedded link, SM? There's Peter Costello: “Abbott is an economic illiterate.”

We could have had John Hewson: “He has no interest in economics and has no feeling for it – he is innumerate”.

Are Costello and Hewson "left whingers", SM? Or a “small incestuous clique of the far left”?

That is adequate corroboration because: (a) Costello and Hewson were senior party members when Abbott was trying to impress, (b) both worked with him closely, and (c) both have real economics credentials.

Re Abbott’s Oxford transcript, no, it shows no economics at all. Just eight subjects: 2 x philosophy, 4 x politics and 2 x political history. No economics. Correct?

But even if Abbott passed basic eco at Sydney Uni, the reality is that he exposed his complete ignorance of contemporary issues at Davos.

Please read this carefully, SM, and follow the links:

http://www.independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/abbotts-davos-disaster,6098

His Davos keynote speech was embarrassing! Just foolish, naive, idiotic nonsense.

If we traded my old car for your home, SM, would we both be richer? Or just one of us? Would our combined wealth be greater or the same?

Well, according to Mr Abbott at Davos, “Every time one person freely trades with another, wealth increases.”

And here’s another: “Progress usually comes one step at a time.”

I wonder if the world’s leading economists had ever considered that before.

Here’s an exercise, SM:

Go to Bloomberg’s news site: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/

In the News search box, write ‘Davos’. It shows ‘about 2,295 results’.

Then in the search box type ‘Davos Lagarde’. [Christine Lagarde gave a speech on the same day Tony Abbott gave the keynote speech as president of the G20.]

You will find: ‘about 87 results’.

Then type in ‘Davos Abbott’. You will get ‘about 0 results’.

SM, the reality is that he was humiliated by his ineptitude.

And you were not well-served by Dennis Shanahan telling you the opposite of the truth.

Don’t let them suck you in SM.

Cheers,

AA
Posted by Alan Austin, Sunday, 2 February 2014 10:53:17 AM
alan wrong,

they have not 'stopped the information about the boats'. They simply refuse to release information immediately. There are weekly news releases about arrivals.

See what I mean about you greens/labor media alliance. To you one illegal immigrant landed due to illness means the boats are still arriving.

The boat he was on was probably scuttled and his crewmates were returned to Indonesian waters in a 'luxury lifeboat'.

Boats are not arriving Alan.
I know because of the lying record of Gillard and Rudd you expect Governments to lie, but most of use are prepared to take the Abbott Government at face value, give them a fair go and believe them. They are closing detention centres. And believe me if there was the lightest suggestion boats were arriving the idiots at the ABC would blow it all out of proportion. That is their form but there are silent. Not peep out of them. And all you have is aspersion.

Here Alan is an excellent link detailing Tony Abbott's degrees.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbotts-oxford-transcript-released-20131125-2y6a1.html

You should read it ... you gave it to us.
Posted by imajulianutter, Sunday, 2 February 2014 11:35:28 AM
Hello again,

@Imajulianutter:

Re: “they have not 'stopped the information about the boats'. They simply refuse to release information immediately. There are weekly news releases about arrivals.”

Keith, just go to any of the transcripts of the interviews and count the number of times Mr Morrison or General Campbell respond to legitimate questions with “I can’t provide that information because it’s an on-water operational matter”, or words to that effect.

Then count the number of obvious lies.

Last week, a 30-year veteran of the diplomatic corp, Tony Kevin, wrote this about Mr Abbott and Mr Morrison:

Operation Sovereign Borders “has compounded the offence by an insincere ‘apology’ that claimed falsely that our Navy ships made ‘positional errors’ in Indonesia's complex archipelagic waters: a lie so readily refuted by commonsense logic and seamanship as to be grossly insulting to Indonesia.”

Refer here: http://www.eurekastreet.com.au/article.aspx?aeid=38805#.Uu63PD2SzHQ

You are being kept in the dark, Keith. And you are being lied to. In a liberal democracy you really should not accept this. Unless you want your freedoms in other areas curtailed also.

Because history shows us that this is how corruption and tyranny begin – when the people meekly accept the lies and arrogant refusals to answer vital questions.

Re: “The boat he was on was probably scuttled and his crewmates were returned to Indonesian waters in a 'luxury lifeboat'.”

What “boat he was on”, Keith? A boat that arrived in Australian waters? So you admit the boats are still arriving?

Of course they are! Don’t let them suck you in, Keith.

Re: “Here Alan is an excellent link detailing Tony Abbott's degrees.”

Yes, I have read that. Just eight subjects: 2 x philosophy, 4 x politics and 2 x political history. No economics. Correct?

So who has been telling porkies in this thread, Keith, hey?

Cheers,

Alan A
Posted by Alan Austin, Monday, 3 February 2014 7:28:31 AM
Because of the lies and secrets of the present Abbott Liberal Government regarding boat arrivals and other, which every detail is kept from the citizens of Australia, this being completely wrong, how on earth can any one on OLO say that this or that is correct, when the Government only want you to know what they want you to know, even then is it correct. I find it disturbing how certain writers are so sure that what is told on the so called weekly report by Government, that it is the truth, please take your blinkers off, when has any Government ever told the truth.
Posted by Ojnab, Monday, 3 February 2014 10:18:34 AM
AA,

You are really determined to go down in flames!

As for Abbott's qualifications, I see that the recognition by oxford of his bachelor of economics has finally forced you to retreat from the lie.

Sidney University requires an ATAR of 99 (top 1% of school results) to enter law, which should be the first clue that Abbott is seriously smart, and that Oxford gives scholarships based on graduate results, that should indicate that he didn't just scrape through either. Secondly your postulation that Oxford's prestigious MA in Philosophy, Politics and Economics contains no economics is ludicrous. Considering that the course ran from 1981 to 83 would indicate that the final transcript of examinations did not cover the entirely of subjects. Googling you, I could find no post graduate qualifications at all which explains the ignorance of economics in your articles.

I don't read the IA, as the articles consist of far left whingers writing polemics, with at least one frequent contributor a proven liar.

I put Abbott and Davos in Google and found 694000 results with many articles from around the world.

As for the off hand comments from Hewson and Costello, if you are seriously going to base your assessment of Abbott on these you are deluded. Perhaps you should refer to their more recent glowing reports, and scathing assessments of the real economic idiots of Rudd, Swan and Gillard.

Googling you, I could find no graduate nor post graduate qualifications at all which explains the ignorance of economics in your articles. Are you humiliated by your ineptitude.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 3 February 2014 11:28:21 AM
No, not at all, SM.

Just not the least bit persuasive.

Mark Kenny published the full transcript: just eight subjects: 2 x philosophy, 4 x politics and 2 x political history. No economics. Correct?

If you want to claim there were other subjects not on the transcript, then it is up to you to prove it. No?

And if Abbott is “seriously smart” as you claim, why is there not an A++ or A+ or A or A- or A- - among the scores?

From the 694000 results showing articles on Mr Abbott at Davos, SM, is there one written by anyone other than a Murdoch employee in Australia which favourably reports on Mr Abbott’s contribution?

Please post the link here, SM.

Thanks.

Cheers,

AA
Posted by Alan Austin, Monday, 3 February 2014 11:53:15 AM
Alan

no no Alan stop the nit picking. It is unbecoming and adds to your silliness. Tell me what boats have arrived in Australia not just in Australian waters. Those that have arrived in Australian waters have been sunk or towed back. Don't you listen to the ABC and all the other lefties who hate that Abbott is actually doing as he said he would.
There were a few boats during the Rudd and Gillard years that arrived in Australian waters but did not arrive in Australia also ... but not with the same results Abbott is having.

Again explain why the leftie greens/labor and media alliance arn't ranting on about boats arriving in Australia under Abbott now. Not so long ago they raved on and accused him of lying about his tow back policy ... before he started towing them back?

You can't lie you way out of that... or this

your link to disprove Tony Abbott's academic success clearly says the following:

'Mr Abbott won a Rhodes Scholarship to come to Oxford and his Bachelor of Economics from the University of Sydney qualified him to be exempt from the first year of the PPE course at Oxford. Therefore, he started his course at the Queen’s College in October 1981 and took his final examinations in June 1983.

Mr Abbott had his MA conferred on 21st October 1989.

Should you require further information please do not hesitate to contact this office.

From the Academic Administrator: Joyce Millar M.A. (Edin)
The Queen’s College. Oxford OX1 4AW'

You used this as an authority so you deliberately lied when you said

'He has no qualifications in economics that anyone can verify.'

According to your quoted authority, the Academic Administrator at The Queen's College, did in fact verify his study and completion of an Economic's degree from the University of Sydney.

Why can't you do the same or at least not cast doubt on the reputation of somebody who has.

or is it that again you think, like a good little lying leftie, peddling leftie cr-p, that you know better that those qualified?
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 3 February 2014 12:31:18 PM
yep the boats can't be stopped, the carbon tax can't be abolished and Abbott is unelectable. How the hatred of the 'progressives' has been fueled by a Government doing what it promised to do. After 5 years of lies, incompetence and economic vandalism you would think they would of be shamed into shutting up. Instead the hatred grows stronger. The ABC makes up lies about torture and Alan makes up lies about Abbotts qualifications. No mention on how they so desperately defended Thompson and unions. How sick and desperate!
Posted by runner, Monday, 3 February 2014 1:32:50 PM
Alan,

You are the one that made the outrageous claims, the onus is on you to show that TA did not complete his BE, yet achieved a Rhodes scholarship, and claimed TA completed a degree of which economics constitutes 1/3rd without doing any economics.Why on earth would the onus be on me to prove that an economics course contains economics subjects?

You are such a rubbish investigator, how can you seriously call yourself a journalist. Why not simply check the course content:

http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/index.php/course-information
http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/index.php/course-content-economics

I would call that a slam dunk. How does the crow taste?

As for his IQ, getting into Sydney law already excludes over 99 of 100 students, the Rhodes scholarship is offered to only one exceptional post grad student per year, and entry to the Oxford PPE course is only offered to a small % of those applying, and the minimum requirements for application are already extremely strict.

A second class pass would put him in the top 0.1% of students. He certainly has more intellectual horsepower than KRudd, Juliar, Shorten, and his success is proof of it.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 3 February 2014 2:08:00 PM
Good morning all,

@runner, no, not at all.

No evidence for any of that, is there?

@Imajulianutter, re: “Tell me what boats have arrived in Australia not just in Australian waters.”

That is the point precisely, Keith. We don’t know what boats, or how many boats have arrived in Australian waters or onto land, how many refugees were aboard, where they are from or when they arrived.

Your government knows, but it wants you kept ignorant. Similarly, we don’t know how many have been sunk or towed back.

We do know, however, from Indonesia, where there is an open and accountable government, and from occasional snippets of news leaked out of Christmas Island, that boats are still arriving.

If you are keen to stay well-informed on this, Keith, it is good to read the Jakarta Post regularly. Here’s a recent article which fills in a few gaps for us:

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014/01/27/australia-s-turn-back-boat-policy-there-always-a-choice.html

You may find this helpful also, Keith, in understanding why your government is being so secretive:

http://www.independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/the-inadvertent-abbott-governments-indonesian-crisis,6075

On Mr Abbott’s qualifications, please check what was actually written. You don’t need to be so upset.

There seems little doubt that Mr Abbott gained an undergraduate degree in economics at Sydney University. No-one has disputed that. But what were the economics subjects passed?

As discussed earlier, it is possible to become a Doctor of Letters without actually studying anybody’s personal correspondence, or a Doctor of Philosophy with no research whatsoever into Aristotle and Kierkegaard, and a Bachelor of Arts in the School of Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Oxford without a single class on economics – as Shadow Minister has uncovered. [See below]

So, if you can locate Mr Abbott’s academic record at Sydney Uni, that would be helpful.

Meanwhile, cheer up. You’re among friends. No need to be so grumpy.

More soon …

Cheers,

Alan A
Posted by Alan Austin, Monday, 3 February 2014 8:27:51 PM
Hello again,

@Shadow Minister, no, not really.

Re: “You are the one that made the outrageous claims, the onus is on you to show that TA did not complete his BE …”

No, not at all. The claim was simply that “He has no qualifications in economics that anyone can verify.” Nothing outrageous about observing that helpful information is being withheld for some strange reason, is there?

If that is “outrageous”, SM, then what do you make of Mr Costello’s “Abbott is an economic illiterate”? Or of Mr Hewson: “He has no interest in economics and has no feeling for it – he is innumerate”?

Or we could read Nikki Savva’s book. She was Mr Costello's press secretary for six years before moving to Mr Howard's cabinet office. She reports that a crucial turning point in Mr Costello's view of Mr Abbott came in 2003, when Mr Abbott told a newspaper he found economics "a bore".

"I have never been as excited about economics as some of my colleagues; you know, I find economics is not for nothing known as the dismal science," Mr Abbott said.

Refer here:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/opinion/oakes-bored-abbott-blew-chances/story-e6frg41u-1225825057019

Regarding the Oxford course content, SM, did you read the documents you have just linked?

Just a cursory reading reveals this: “At least two of the following subjects at a higher level: Philosophy, politics and economics.”

That seems to confirm that a BA in the School of PPE can be completed with studies in just two out of three disciplines, and the other discipline avoided completely.

Correct?

Surely the transcript shows Mr Abbott took the philosophy and politics subjects and left economics well alone.

No?

So how did you go with the 694000 results showing articles on Mr Abbott at Davos, SM? How many did you find which favourably report Mr Abbott’s contribution, not written by a Murdoch employee in Australia?

Please post links here, SM.

If there are none, then doesn't that validate the claim in articles posted here already that Mr Abbott exposed to the world his embarrassingly feeble grasp of economics at Davos?

Thanks.

Cheers,

AA
Posted by Alan Austin, Monday, 3 February 2014 8:40:18 PM
Alan,

You started with “He has no qualifications in economics that anyone can verify"

Now "There seems little doubt that Mr Abbott gained an undergraduate degree in economics at Sydney University."

That is as close an admission that you were wrong the first time that we will get.

Please stop linking your own articles. It is very sad.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 4 February 2014 3:43:11 AM
'There seems little doubt that Mr Abbott gained an undergraduate degree in economics at Sydney University. No-one has disputed that.'

'At Sydney University, there is no record of him passing any subjects.'

Alan please you cannot unhang yourself here. We are not leftie
fu-kheads.
Posted by imajulianutter, Tuesday, 4 February 2014 7:41:36 PM
Good morning all,

Yes and no, Shadow Minister and Imajulianutter. Not sure you are right.

Please read the quotes carefully. Little words like ‘seems’ and ‘doubt’ and ‘no record’ and ‘verify’ all serve useful purposes in those sentences.

Correct?

It is important we read what is written and understand what was expressed instead of presuming something else was intended.

Do we have the record of subjects passed at Sydney Uni? Pretty sure we don’t.

Are we now agreed that Mr Abbott studied no economics at Oxford?

If so, can we now please apply our energies and efforts to seeing if we can find from the 694,000 reports from Davos just one item which reports positively on the keynote speech of the president of the G20?

If you don’t then I will be forced to post another one of my own articles. And you will have no-one to blame but yourselves. I have one here, and I’m not afraid to use it.

Cheers,

Alan A
Posted by Alan Austin, Tuesday, 4 February 2014 8:35:23 PM
Imag whether we are left, no one should be called a f-ckhead ,have you taken a good look at yourself, I imagine you fit that description exactly. Show respect to all OLO writers whether you agree or disagree.
Posted by Ojnab, Tuesday, 4 February 2014 8:38:41 PM
AA,

Please don't try and insult my intelligence. What you meant was totally unambiguous, it was wrong and you knew it.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 3:58:46 AM
You are right onjab I withdraw the F...head word.

It is not that I disagree with Alan Austin's opinions, it is that Alan Austin has proved himself a barefaced liar with no respect for the intelligence of anyone. He thinks we actually will switch opinion because of his stated current position. He thinks he can re-write and obfuscate to hide is lies when they are as obvious as the slimey twisting, turning and backsliding of his fellow lefties.

Here is how he exposed his deliberate lie.

'At Sydney University, there is no record of him passing any subjects.'

Posted by Alan Austin, Saturday, 1 February 2014 8:43:38 AM

'There seems little doubt that Mr Abbott gained an undergraduate degree in economics at Sydney University. No-one has disputed that.'

Posted by Alan Austin, Monday, 3 February 2014 8:27:51 PM

The liar Alan Austin did in fact dispute Tony Abbott gained an undergraduate degree in economics at Sydney University. In fact large tracts of his article called into question and disputed Tony Abbott's academic qualifications.

Don't you think he should withdraw and apologize for this lie, or are you going to behave like just another of his slimey twisting, turning and backsliding fellow lefties?
Posted by imajulianutter, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 6:57:15 AM
Alan

You will be reminded of your disgraceful behaviour every time you post anything here.
Posted by imajulianutter, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 7:03:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy