The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How Australian Muslims are fitting into a newly emerging Australian identity > Comments

How Australian Muslims are fitting into a newly emerging Australian identity : Comments

By Abe Ata, published 2/1/2014

An estimated half-a-million, or more than 2% of Australia's population, are Muslim

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Excuse my ignorance :)many Muslims come to Australia from all different nations, Im not sure of the circumstances under which they have chosen to move to Australia. Fleeing war torn homes, seeking refuge in a country they know is multi-cultural and safe to raise their loved ones, or is it their choice to relocate to a safer country offering many opportunities that were not available in their homeland. Either way it must have been a difficult to leave their Muslim dominated environment, where they and i quote define themselves by their religious beliefs. The whole idea of learning and adapting to such a different life style, understanding that we define ourselves so differently, not by a religion but more so a broad, less stringent, guideline based on the semi-universal understanding of humanity,humility, appreciation of life and lives. Life is precious and limited. Of course as in all races there are those who go against the grain. There are many different religious followings which are respected as personal beliefs. Some do try to convert, generally ending up in differing opinions, each respecting the others even though you know its rubbish ha ha. 'See you next week', ha friendship formed. This I would imagine would be the biggest challenge respecting the fact that most of us dont know nor need to know our neighbors beliefs. Sure there are many groups attending the churches of their following, all over the country, some staunch in their belief, some out of respect for family tradition, some seeking help and redirection, other personal reasons.
Possibly for people of the Muslim faith, in their pursuit for a new life, a new place to make their home, many windows of opportunity may open that never existed.
I know if I was welcomed into another country it would be imperative to understand and respect their ways, to remain open to behaviors that are completely foreign to me. Naturally, my morals and values remain the same and as in any situation where they are threatened or compromised I would remove myself.
Any Suggestions of a helpful guide-Muslim faith
Posted by jodelie, Wednesday, 15 January 2014 7:08:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy