The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How Australian Muslims are fitting into a newly emerging Australian identity > Comments

How Australian Muslims are fitting into a newly emerging Australian identity : Comments

By Abe Ata, published 2/1/2014

An estimated half-a-million, or more than 2% of Australia's population, are Muslim

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
How things have changed over past a few years! I still remember I once posted at this website, challenging another reader to show how much muslims have contributed to the Australian culture, and many came out calling me a bigot.

Today, more and more Australians have, with a degree of reluctance, to concede that they have imported into their homeland a hostile culture, and they are powerless to change it.

But today I am going to say it serves Australia right! It makes you value more of your Australia tradition; it reminds you that there are something in the world that cannot be tolerated; "The price of liberty is eternal vigilance. "
Posted by Peng, Tuesday, 7 January 2014 5:13:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Posted sans comment.

"The Battle of Broken Hill otherwise known as the Broken Hill Massacre, was a fatal incident which took place near Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia on 1 January 1915. Two men shot dead four people and wounded seven more, before being killed by police and military officers. While the attack was politically and religiously inspired, as declared by the perpetrators in notes, the men were not members of any sanctioned armed force and the attacks were criminal. The two men were later identified as being Muslims from the British colony of India, modern day Pakistan....
Gool and Abdullah positioned themselves on an embankment located about 30 metres from the tracks. As the train passed they opened fire with two rifles, discharging 20 to 30 shots.
The picnickers initially thought that the shots were being discharged in honour of the train's passing, but once their companions started falling, the reality sank in.
Alma Cowie, aged 17 died instantly. William John Shaw, a foreman in the Sanitary Department, was killed on the train and his daughter Lucy Shaw was injured. Six other people on the train were injured: Mary Kavanagh, George Stokes, Thomas Campbell, Alma Crocker, Rose Crabb and Constable Robert Mills.[7]
The railway guard on the train was "Tiger" Dick (Eric Edward) Nyholm, soon to be a father of six children, including the late Prof Sir Ronald Nyholm,[8] also of Broken Hill. Nyholm was a renowned marksman and proved instrumental in protecting the train's passengers from further injury."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Broken_Hill
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 9 January 2014 7:39:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While the emphasis on multicultural continues, rather than multi-ethnic, nature of our society, integration problems will continue. The term M C give licence to the attitude of separateness, which is a basis in Islam anyway. Give those who came here to escape the Islamic problems in their own nation, a chance to escape the domination of the foreign imams here. No nation can really survive being divided from within. Multi-ethnic is a transitional term giving nationality recognition and credit.[Islamist don't like that] , and hopefully in the long term, allcomers will have fused into a changed but particularly "Australian" identity [ie cosmopolitan]. Without that, the seeds of division may thrive into the disasters we see and read of overseas now in mainly Islamic nations where the Sunni/Shia et al. division is lethal. That way, the influence of any radicals of any ideology will be weakened.
Posted by Kasey, Saturday, 11 January 2014 9:19:17 PM
Kasey "allcomers will have fused into a changed but particularly "Australian" identity [ie cosmopolitan]."

That is a solution, but there's nothing "particularly" Australian about cosmopolitanism.
In fact, it has no national essence at all.

Cosmopolitan people are pretty much the same, whether in Sweden, Japan, Canada or Spain.

If this is your goal, bringing in immigrants with strong ethnic attachments is the last thing you would do.
You'd restrict immigration to the "high development" countries where cosmopolitanism thrives.

But most of those are populated by Whites, so even though the limit is based on development not race, you'd have a de facto White Australia policy.
So no such restriction would happen given the current ideological paradigm.
Even an indirectly "racist" stance would fill the Progressives with horror.
Posted by Shockadelic, Monday, 13 January 2014 12:50:17 AM
Kasey,
Welcome to OLO.

I agree with you and what we need to do is disband the current multicultural policies, which hopefully the current government will do.

We are not a multicultural society, as you say we are multi-ethnic and our foundations are based on the Westminster system and that we need to preserve at all costs.

What also is needed is to stop allowing immigration of people from those groups that have shown to us that they cannot or will not integrate into OUR society.

There is not many of such groups but hey hold our laws and standards in contempt which leads to community disharmony. That we should not tolerate.
Posted by Banjo, Monday, 13 January 2014 9:30:19 AM
Growing up we lived in a very multicultural town.Our friends were Italian, Portuguese, Yugoslav, a few Kiwis-Maori a few aboriginal-Nyungar families and our Pommie friends next door, we were the first Aussies they met on arriving in Australia.A normal, average working family environment,I dont think racism was even a word. My introduction to Muslim (which I thought was a nationality,try and find that country in the atlas) were new neighbors. Our little mixed bag of kids run out say hello, the little 'Muslim' boy of six is pulled inside 'he must have been naughty'. We saw nothing of this family for months and then realized they also had a little girl.One day there is family get together next door, must be Grand parents. Long story short, ceremonial circumcision of the little girl! Devastation-mutilation. Upon learning more from my dad, as I got older, about these people who were a religion, was confused and angered at the degradation of the girls. What kind of religion is this. As the Muslim population grew, we learned they did not want to know us, the girls and boys (teenagers) were very confident and quite arrogant.We were then hit with ugly word and act of racism, wow! what is infidel?? I realise that was twenty years ago and that particular religion may have advanced, be more civilized maybe. Do religions change? Who polices the criminal acts?
Anyway on that note I dont consider myself a Catholic anymore. The hypocrisy I experienced on such a large scale growing up, and the criminal acts committed to many friends, mainly males sent to Catholic schools who are now in their forties, some still struggling with the devastating abuses they were subjected to. Oh dear, another religion, another story. Agnostic sounds so uncomplicated and peaceful, dictated only by your own morals. Have a conscience, know right from wrong.Ahhh imagine that world :)
Posted by jodelie, Wednesday, 15 January 2014 10:55:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy