The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Life on the line: can humanity survive? > Comments

Life on the line: can humanity survive? : Comments

By Robert Burrowes, published 2/10/2013

Can we finally acknowledge the truth of the pervasive threats to human survival and act non-violently in response to this truth?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
"So far, many individuals and organisations in 57 countries have signed the Nonviolence Charter."

Well that's nice isn't it, as my grandma used to say. Though, come to think of it, she always added, "But I wouldn't get your hopes up too high."

"...can humanity survive?"

Is there an answer if we assume Spock has really 'beam there' done that... before he said, "It is not life as we know or understand it. Yet it is obviously alive, it exists."?

Unfortunately the episode is called 'Operation - Annihilate!'
Posted by WmTrevor, Wednesday, 2 October 2013 8:10:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As the world currently exists and given the direction it is heading in, humans will not survive.

It will founder on the rocks of capitalism and imperialism and serial militarism.

If the U.S. goes bankrupt, we might have some better chance of survival but only if we depose the Oligarchs and Nations who make money from war and plunder and exploitation.
Posted by David G, Wednesday, 2 October 2013 9:06:54 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David, it almost sounds like you are suggesting we should have the traditional old family land grab? No more nations, just individuals taking whatever they can get?

Is that what you meant?
Posted by RandomGuy, Wednesday, 2 October 2013 9:18:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Of course it's not what I mean, Random Guy!

What I mean is a civilized world (that means no humans) where things like caring, sharing, altruism, honesty, compassion, generosity, morality, grace, nobility, humility, etc, seriously afflict the barbaric two-legged apes who are currently destroying our world.

Cheers!
Posted by David G, Wednesday, 2 October 2013 9:37:08 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I admit my last comment was a bit tongue in cheek but still I'm glad you cleared it up. I cant help but think of the lion king, where the hyenas are dancing around laughing "Gread idea! Who needs a king? No king, No king, lalalalalala"

Possibly immature but at the same time I get the impression that your idea is more "circle of life" rather than hyena party.
Posted by RandomGuy, Wednesday, 2 October 2013 9:41:30 AM
Humanity will NOT survive.

It may take one day for humanity to be extinct, or it may take 5 billion years when the sun explodes into a red giant, or anything in between.

Does it matter?
In any case, humanity is pre-destined to be gone!

The purpose of human-embodiment is spiritual, not the impossible tasks of physical survival or of leaving something after us. Gandhi practised non-violence (ahimsa) because it is a well-established spiritual principle, rather than due to fear-based worry for survival.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 2 October 2013 9:52:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy