The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Killed for being the wrong gender > Comments

Killed for being the wrong gender : Comments

By Bill Muehlenberg, published 30/4/2013

A Melbourne doctor has blown the whistle on parents who demanded an abortion - because they didn't want a girl.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All
Unfortunately, humans do not adhere to the ideal the all (human) life in sacred. We care more about our immediate family than some random person in Africa. We care more about the death of a small child than we do of a 90 year old. Hence, when we decide whether it is ok to kill a developing fetus, we are making a value judgement on life. A person who does not agree with this is probably too busy in a 3rd world country helping the starving to worry about reading OLO.

You may notice that I am neither defending or supporting abortion with this statement. This is due to the fact that we all value life differently. I probably value the lives of my own family more than yours, and vice versa. Therefore when it comes to abortion, who are we to force our individual values onto another person?

One small piece of info - Conception is not a magical event. It is a process of cell/DNA fusion which has mechanisms conserved through many other processes in your body. In fact, I will be inducing a few hundred tomorrow (sheep) to achieve success in a handful. If this is due to the work of a designer, he's a pretty sloppy chap.
Posted by Stezza, Tuesday, 30 April 2013 11:30:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bill makes some excellent points.

Women need to be fully informed that in choosing abortion they are choosing to end the life of their offspring.

Are these women aware of the significant psychological risks associated with abortion? The reality is that no one can escape the ramifications of ending a life. There is trauma and grief involved.
Posted by JY of Adelaide, Tuesday, 30 April 2013 11:32:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is really tiresome to keep hearing about a woman's choice as to what she does with her own body. (in the comments, not from Bill)Of course it is a woman's choice what she does with her own body. ABORTION is not about the woman's body it is about the babies body. Where is the baby's choice?
Posted by sharan, Tuesday, 30 April 2013 11:45:03 AM
Anyone who supports abortion of children simply being the wrong gender must have something wrong with them.
I can't believe some of the stuff I read - for example, the opinion piece in today's Herald Sun - the author says that gender selection abortion is vile, but then goes on to support it! (Because choice is good)
When did people become so nuts?
---
We should be demanding politicians change the law to put restrictions on the current situation with abortion: open-slather for any reason - and if a doctor doesn't want to be involved he can lose his license.
Posted by MrAnderson, Tuesday, 30 April 2013 11:51:39 AM
Why the outcry that a baby girl was killed because she was a girl? There's no good reason to directly kill a baby - medical intervention to save the mother's life which indirectly kills the baby is not abortion - and the fact that so many people argue over what is or isn't justification for abortion shows how very warped our logic has become. I'm glad to see that Dr Hobart is consistent in his oath to 'do no harm'. The real issue here isn't why the baby girl was killed - it's that she was killed. This couple is no worse than a couple who aborts their baby because he has a club foot or because they think they have 'enough' children. It's about time we stop talking about why women murder their children in the womb and start talking about the fact that we taxpayers pay for their murder and are complicit in baby killing.
Posted by Mishka Gora, Tuesday, 30 April 2013 11:53:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for the well thought out and relevant points, Kenny - your contribution has furthered his debate immensely...

Anti-choice is not the correct term, and you know it. It is a politically loaded expression, used to deny others a right to discuss the issue.

I referred to my "CV" as it is relevant. Both my wife and I are well informed as to the medical status of the fetus, more so than someone not engaged in this field might be.

I am against abortion as it denies the rights of the child - as simple as that. Further, it is yet another example of a post-modernist society heading full speed towards a world where "anything goes".
Posted by rational-debate, Tuesday, 30 April 2013 11:57:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy