The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Killed for being the wrong gender > Comments

Killed for being the wrong gender : Comments

By Bill Muehlenberg, published 30/4/2013

A Melbourne doctor has blown the whistle on parents who demanded an abortion - because they didn't want a girl.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
Dr Hobart is a Catholic and does not refer anyone to abortion clinics.
More info here:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/dr-mark-hobart-who-refused-couple-abortion-for-wanting-a-boy-believes-abortion-is-murder/story-e6frg6n6-1226631861565
Posted by Candide, Tuesday, 30 April 2013 9:17:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Another anti-abortion rant. It started by deploring an abortion because the fetus was female. That is something I agree with.

However, the article very shortly turned into a rant against abortion. We can keep abortions at a minimum by informing sexually active people about contraception. Somehow these rants never advocate avoiding pregnancy in the first place other than by not engaging in sex. I still think of my cousin who committed suicide during WW2. Her boyfriend went off to war, and she found she was pregnant. Her boyfriend had already been killed in action when she found that out. She felt she was in no position to have or raise a child so she committed suicide. If she had access to an abortionist she could have lived on and maybe had a baby later or maybe not. However, as it was she ended it.

If women lose abortion rights and they need an abortion the choice becomes the coathanger, the backyard butcher or suicide. I don't want to bring back those days.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 30 April 2013 9:31:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't believe in sex selection abortions unless there are genetic diseases in the family.

However, this author doesn't believe in choices for women at all, and is really pushing his own religious barrow.

What business is it of his what unrelated females do with their own bodies?
Abortion is legal in Australia...
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 30 April 2013 9:32:05 AM
Not sure I agree with Bill there. A woman has a right to choose but I'm not sure she has a right to choose the sex of a baby.

It mimics the attitudes of China's one child state and the anti-population laws of the last 30 years or so. But for very different reasons.

Most middle and upper middle class families are only having one child (a max two). Consumer culture has become so ingrained with 'a right to choose' that this now had leaked out in to conception and gender selection. But why are males valued so much in an advanced capitalist society? It comes down to personal preference, like preferring full fat creamed milk over skinny milk.

If say, the Stable Population Party or one of its socio-biological ilk came to power, enforcing a one child state, then the premium of male children might go up.
Posted by Cheryl, Tuesday, 30 April 2013 10:16:17 AM
Candide - what's your point? Does that make it any less abhorrent or are you simply trying to steer the discussion another direction?

Cards on the table - I am against abortion. Being a fairly well educated person, married to a midwife of 25 years experience, I did not come to this decision lightly.

I do not condone people protesting outside clinics, etc as this achieves nothing, other than situations such as the tragic one outlined by David F. Care and concern gazumps protest!

There is always a choice and that choice is usually better than termination.

Please don't cloud the issue with "What about people who become pregnant through rape?" etc as that is such a tiny proportion of the cases, that it should be what makes the decision. Yes, incredibly tragic, but most abortions are not for this reason.
Posted by rational-debate, Tuesday, 30 April 2013 10:33:54 AM
non-rational-debate what has your education level or the fact you're married toa mid wife got to do with anything?

Please tell us why you are anti-choice rather then appeal to CV.

As other have already noted, this post is about the author's reglious values and nothing else. As i say to anybody that's the point of choice, if you don't think your should have an abortion then don't have one
Posted by Kenny, Tuesday, 30 April 2013 11:10:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy