The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fatherlessness, chaos and the Norwegian killer > Comments

Fatherlessness, chaos and the Norwegian killer : Comments

By Warwick Marsh, published 2/8/2011

'A community that allows a large number of young men to grow up in broken families...asks for and gets chaos'.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
*Sigh*
Apart from the obligatory nonsensical Hitler reference this article isn't bad. Hitler didn't grow up fatherless, his parents both died when he was a young man and he didn't kill anyone outside the context of war.
Feminism and the assault on the family are another part of the story but not the whole picture.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Tuesday, 2 August 2011 6:49:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There are roughly 100,000 fatherless kids in Norway.

One of them went on a killing rampage.

99,999 didn't.

Now explain that.
Posted by Jon J, Tuesday, 2 August 2011 6:54:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jon J, there are a million fathers in this country that face the loss of their children

Not a bad article, Warwick, but I think you're drawing a long bow. Breivik's problems may have stemmed from many things, but I doubt that fatherlessness was a prime motivator. Certainly having to endure a Feminist upbringing bereft of a moderating influence would have been a nasty experience for any boy, but I have to think that this particular guy had more on his plate.

The rise in Feminist-ideological political pandering has lead to a lot of bad things, including the fatherless youth you speak about, but I believe the worst thing it has done is to drive a wedge between the genders that is entirely artificial and designed for political reasons. It has broken the connection that makes us people together instead of "demographic groups" that cynical political operatives can manipulate. Feminism must demonise men in order to elevate women and it is that demonisation that has caused the greatest problems. It prevents proper examination of Feminist claims ("of course you'd say that, you're a misogynist", leads to "of course you'd say that, you're a man"), it prevents any other form of analysis from gaining traction ("this doesn't do anything for women", as though that's the only thing that matters).

It leads to bad laws, since if women are preeminent, men must, definitionally, be subservient. 'twere ever thus - productive work is a bit beneath the ruling class and so it is today: women managers and professionals make twice as many claims for work-related injury as their male colleagues doing the same work and they take nearly twice as many sick days, yet we never hear anything about how important it is to have more male managers or professionals.

The rise in women working has seen almost all the increase in GDP spent on redistributive measures, suggesting that much work women choose to do is not just unproductive, it has negative value.

All in all a disaster, but Breivik probably wasn't a symptom.
Posted by Antiseptic, Tuesday, 2 August 2011 7:42:44 AM
I'm not overly fond of fatherlessness myself nor of many of the assumptions and extremes of feminism but I think Warwick is more interested in pushing christian fundy barrows than a genuine analysis of the issues.

The reports I've seen suggest that Anders was a right wing fundamentalist christian and the mindset associated with that appears to have had a lot to do with the outcomes. Strangely Warwich didn't choose to discuss the impact of extremist religious thinking and the contribution that has made to a history of atrocities.

Neither do I think that the divide on undisciplined parenting is nearly as gender orientated as Warwick seems to imply. Enough mum's are the ones to provide the consistent boundaries and enough dads fail to do so to remind us that it's not about the gender of the parent.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 2 August 2011 8:04:08 AM
All I can say is thank goodness you weren't Lional Murphy's Dad.
Posted by pip66, Tuesday, 2 August 2011 9:36:21 AM
The ideal set-up is where 'responsible' biological parents are involved in the raising of their children, but this article is a bit all over the place and I think vastly misses the point.

In the case of the Norwegian killer, how can you stop fathers from abandoning their children, it appears there was a stepfather on the scene for much of this killer's life.

The article falls down by the usual pointed attack on feminists. What was the point of describing the grandmother as a feminist as though this is a negative connotation. The stepfather is clearly a radical masculinist given he was off in Thailand visiting prostitutes. Not a good father figure at all. Isn't fatherlessness preferable to a negative role model? And who isn't a feminist these days. Who does not believe that women are equal and sentient beings with the same rights as men? Sorry, but this is the usual hogwash from the anti-female lobby and the tone diminishes the fatherlessness issue much more than enhances it.

There are millions of children around the world who are raised in single parent homes (single father or mother) or who were abandoned by their fathers; or where the biological parents have died who are doing okay and are not going around killing innocent people.

What about children raised in dysfunctional families where they have observed violence. Much more damaging than being raised in a single parent home with the security of one reliable and loving parent.

This article is just too off the spectrum and draws a number of unsubstantiated and self-fullfilling conclusions to be taken seriously.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 2 August 2011 9:58:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy