The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Needed and inevitable - a price on carbon > Comments

Needed and inevitable - a price on carbon : Comments

By John Le Mesurier, published 24/12/2010

Australia continues to approve the expansion and the subsidy of the coal mining industry.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All
Good point Hasbeen, and guess what.
Back in 1978 I worked on the final stages of construction of Woodlawn Mine, Tarago NSW. We knew from the outset the mine only had a working life of around 15 years, but with 86% copper assays (compared to 2% at Queenstown, Tas.) It was thought well worth it.
Google Woodlawn mine, and see what it's being used for now.
Posted by Grim, Monday, 3 January 2011 11:08:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think you’re onto something Hasbeen – just a minor fix required. There is a difference between this:

http://tinyurl.com/24r4nkv

and this:

http://tinyurl.com/2ewcqg9

Although imo, the latter is not really the answer as you suggest.

Happy New Year
Posted by bonmot, Monday, 3 January 2011 11:54:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Got to agree there bonmot, the first one is a thing of beauty, the second is just a thing.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 3 January 2011 1:29:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Saw about 60 of those things slowly turning in the distant landscape to the left of Lake George heading south into Canberra last week - do you know if they help power Queanbeyan/ACT, or does it all go into the national grid?

Got to give it to the old world charm of windmills though, helping mill grain and (some) at the same time pumping water away from a sinking country.
Posted by bonmot, Monday, 3 January 2011 4:40:37 PM
Hasbeen,

I love it. But I've got a better idea.

We could all retire from productive work and live off the gov't. They print the money after all. Why do we need private enterprise anyway? Only to steal it from us of course!!

The first step would be to tear out the cities to allow the natural streams and rivers to run. http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=11390
This would also avoid any disruption to the migrating black ant. And birds would not need to be offended by the sight of our cities.

And technology? We could bin all that useless nonsense. We could go back to the 17th century windmills, and grow our own food.

Eventually we could, by superior moral endeavour, regress as a species to hunter gatherers. From there, it would be simple enough, for humans to become extinct, and allow the earth to go back to its NATURAL, and morally superior, state.
Posted by PaulL, Monday, 3 January 2011 5:32:55 PM
Or on the other hand, we could cause the future extinction by robbing future generations of valuable -irreplaceable- resources, and degrading their future environment to the point where once again survival becomes ugly, brutish and short.
Posted by Grim, Monday, 3 January 2011 5:52:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy