The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The abortion issue is alive and kicking > Comments

The abortion issue is alive and kicking : Comments

By Rob Ward, published 12/10/2010

Media indifference or media censorship? Setting the record straight on abortion rallies.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
This issue does need more discussion from both sides of the arena. And incredibly truthful reporting.

I identify as Pro-Choice because I believe that I have no right to tell another woman that she must have a child she does not feel ready to parent. Plain and simple. It is not for me to judge her for that choice as it is impossible to place myself in her shoes. Having said this, I would hesitate to label myself as "Pro-Abortion". I am not. And do not think anyone really is at the core of things.

Susan Faludi said "All of women's aspirations, whether for education, work or any form of self-determination, ultimately rest on their ability to decide whether and when to bear children". And I believe that this to be true. Particularly for women in third world nations who have a lot more to consider in this regard than we fortunate Westerners.

This is more than a question of morality or "get your rosaries off my ovaries", it is a matter of compassion and sensibility.
Posted by Just Saying, Wednesday, 13 October 2010 1:45:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It would be nice if abortion were not a necessity, but in some cases, it is, because contraception fails. I would be happier with the anti-choice movement if they were universally in favour of contraception, but many are not, and therefore they lack all credibility in pressing this particular case. Having said that, the press should have reported an event that drew 5000 people. We live in a democracy after all and all sides and opinions need to be reported.
Posted by popnperish, Wednesday, 13 October 2010 8:08:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TRTL along with the supporters of the child killing industry arrogantly redefine what constitutes a human being. He write 'Which doesn't even scratch the surface of the fact that a foetus isn't a baby.' Take a closer look TRTL. Technology today will show you who and what is being butchered. Oh that's right its all about women's rights (how selfish).
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 13 October 2010 9:49:14 AM
I love it when a fringe group claims the "right" to be taken seriously by everyone else and this is perceived as "bias". Sorry folks, could you please consider that others have considered this issue and have come to a different conclusion to your own? Asking the Law to criminalise women for doing a difficult, but sometimes lesser of all evils is a pretty low act in my opinion.
Also while you winge on about bias, have you ever stopped to consider that many, many gatherings were also not reported that day. Did you realise that the media is largely a publicity machine and does not generally push fringe ideas unless paid for? do you know how many "Leftist" ideas are constantly ignored? (Internet censorship being one of them. Huge protests there but no media coverage.)
Did you know that God is the biggest baby killer of all? Most foetuses don't make it to term. This is a natural "quality control" process that is quite brutal in terms of "killing babies". Human induced abortions are probably minimal compared to God's abortion rate. I only mention this because religion seems to be a big factor in this sort of sticky beak issue.
We have hundreds of adults dying due to stupid prohibition laws yet "sending messages" is deemed more important than real lives. Seems babies are valuable...until they grow up. How about caring for humans for their entire life cycle instead of just when they are part of a woman?
Hey runner, I don't see you protesting against the deaths caused by the Catholic church in Africa. By lying about condoms they have killed millions by ignorance and aids. Real people too, not proto-human embryos. Once again, why do these folk care about babies yet abuse adults so callously?
This appears to me be "fluffy bunny" morality.
Posted by Ozandy, Wednesday, 13 October 2010 10:25:12 AM
Runner, five simple questions for you to answer.

Is a child an elderly person?

Is a toddler an adult?

Is a baby a teenager?

Is a cat a dog?

It would be very difficult to discuss different life-stages if we start saying they are all the same.

"The teenager has just soiled his nappies" would give the wrong message, wouldn't it?

Or "the adult has just entered his second trimester."

If you have re-defined a foetus as being the same as a baby, what is the formal definition of those things that grow inside a woman's uterus, but can't breathe yet?

Because we've always used the definition 'foetus'.

If the pro-life movement has re-defined the term 'baby' in order to distort the argument and make emotional appeals (because it's harder to get people worked up over foetuses than babies) then for the fifth question, kindly give me some new scientific nomenclature (something that describes a foetus but not a baby, because any rational person can see there are differences) so I can discuss the issue logically, without having to resort to silliness like accusing people of murder (a specific crime, with definitions) or 'earth worshippers' (I don't even know what that means. I haven't seen any shrines made of soil).

Thanks.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 13 October 2010 2:21:43 PM
Rob.
We mustn't forget, abortion is but one vehicle used by anti-choice zealots and lobbyists to enforce archaic ideals and oppressive outmoded standards upon a society that has progressed far beyond such psychosocial oppression.

Whether it's the choice over ones passing, education, love life, sexual identity, substance use, viewing habits, reading choices, recreation, parenting, work ethic... indeed almost all facets of life, it is the projection of insecurity and enforcement of constraint that drives them.

Why would the media give oxygen to any activist group that is globally linked to murder, harassment, threats, lies and abuse? That revels in anti-science conspiracies? Denies climate change science? Plots against established human rights, evolutionary theory and documented history? Supports the concept of homosexuality as "a disease or detachment disorder"? That supports publication of junk 'science', claiming higher levels of violence in same sex relationships [see ACL website]?

That includes the likes of Neal Horsley who bragged about having sex with a mule, other animals, a watermelon, indeed, "anything that was wet and warm".

On reading the bible, there is nothing Christian about anti-choice. Yet if we consider this Great Lie that reinvents itself generation by generation, to perpetuate the myth of a death defying, purportedly magic Jew, perhaps this is the real face of Christianity. A political force content to sink to any level to achieve and maintain social privilege at the expense of freedom, free thought and ultimately, the free world.

Shameful indeed.
Posted by Firesnake, Wednesday, 13 October 2010 2:30:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy