The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A little bit of racial prejudice ... > Comments

A little bit of racial prejudice ... : Comments

By Tanveer Ahmed, published 23/6/2010

There is no question that racial prejudice exists in Australia. These feelings are symptoms of a universal human failing.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
“Professor Manne argues that our response to asylum seekers reflects an underlying racism, particularly towards Muslims.”

Professor Manne and others who think that racism is a factor in the desire to have our borders protected from illegal arrivals are complete idiots. Our borders should be protected against all people trying to enter illegally, irrespective of race or colour. The fact that our ignorant, gutless politicians are also idiots not knowing the true definition of racism (i.e that one race is better or worse than another) means that the likes of Manne can frighten them into failing to do what is their duty – the protection of Australia’s borders.

And, by the way, Islam is not a race.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 23 June 2010 10:07:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Having spent many years in East Africa and Madagascar where the very distinct Indian populations clearly considered themselves superior to the locals, I can relate to:
"there are few countries where class, status and caste infuse the social order to a greater degree than India. As a consequence, any Indian outrage must be tempered by events in its own backyard.
Posted by Jennifer, Wednesday, 23 June 2010 10:13:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Every time asylum seekers are mentioned, and no matter how many times it's been pointed out that their arrival is NOT illegal, out come the same old "protect our borders" and "illegal arrivals" bleats. Yawn. Thanks, Leigh. You're starting to sound like Scott Morrison, opposition spokesparrot on immigration. I suppose John Howard showed conclusively that if you just keep repeating simplistic lies, eventually everyone will believe them.

ertyui
dfghjk
cvbn

Ooops. I just fell asleep with my face on the keyboard. Must have been bored out of my wits by the matchless predictability of it all.
Posted by Slobodon Meshirtfront, Wednesday, 23 June 2010 11:23:38 AM
I hope your analysis is right, Dr Ahmed.

The worry is that ethnocentric prejudices are so easily whipped up by sensationalist media and unscrupulous and cynical politicians from both major parties obsessed with short-term electoral advantage.

Government policies and provsions have never fully recovered from Hansonite approaches adopted by the Howard government The current government has not undone many of its policies.

As for the media, even articles in the broadsheets continue from time to time to use terms like "illegal" when referring to undocumented asylum seekers arriving by boat.
Posted by tonyf, Wednesday, 23 June 2010 11:59:19 AM
Slobodon,
The one thing you said I agree with and that is it is boring. It is boring to contiually have to correct the likes of you.

It IS illegal to enter Australia without a proper visa. We do not detain those who enter legally as it is against OUR laws. You had best check that out.

Secondly, The author and yourself continually try to make out there are problems where none, or little, exist. General opposition to the 'illegal' boat people has nothing to do with racism. It relates to gate crashing and allowing those with money to gain advantage over those who do not. We see the illegals as shonksters who lie, cheat and buy there way here and impose themselves on us, uninvited.

The attacks on Indian students likewise was exposed as attacks for robberry purposes, not racial attacks by anglo Aussies as was first indicated. One positive was that it also exposed an immigration scam.

The wearing of turbans and the burka are cultural issues and law when riding cycles.

People such as yourself and the author are an ongoing problem in trying to promote racism as an issue.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 23 June 2010 12:13:22 PM
Tanveer, I think you're on to a marketing opportunity with Burbans. Might I also suggest Moccals? Sandal-moccasins - should go down a treat in the Western suburbs!
Posted by Clownfish, Wednesday, 23 June 2010 12:21:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy