The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ethics classes: the battle for children’s hearts and minds in NSW > Comments

Ethics classes: the battle for children’s hearts and minds in NSW : Comments

By Max Wallace, published 15/6/2010

There should be no Special Religious Education in state schools at all: the class is a hangover from the 19th century.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16
  13. All
Another thing to keep in mind in cognitive ethics classes is that if you try to put it to the class to discuss, it is not like (most) of the adult world where the people actively engage the issue, but one where students who think they fall on the 'wrong' side keep quiet due to peer pressure;
Which sets a poor standard for society (although considering how Australia in particular is run, it is precisely the standard that the government would WANT to set- basically, indoctrinated political correctness.
Posted by King Hazza, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 3:10:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It seems to me that this sort of conundrum was always going to happen as society moved away from tight-knit communities where children were educated about ethics (whether religiously inspired or secular)in the normal course of development and growth within their communities - to a system that outsources its children's education.
Most parents these days can't entertain the idea that they can teach their children much at all - so used are they to sending them to an institution for their instruction. Ethics, unfortuntely, now has become just another victim of the destruction of communitiy values - something that was once absorbed in the normal flow of life is now seen as a special area to be "taught" as a formal subject.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 3:27:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
thinkabit
The difference between "belief" and ethics is that religion tells you what is right and what is wrong. "absolutes" as runner puts it.
Ethics lets you use your brain and think for yourself if something is right or wrong. Everyone is different and in many cases right and wrong is not so clear cut.
Your example is but what about the example I gave?
Many people would consider it "right" for a rich man to give a small portion to the poor man if it didnt really deprive the rich man but greatly helped the poor man. Some will think it is wrong not to. But others will think it is neither right or wrong to give or not to give. There are no "absolutes" in a case like this. Although we all have a stake in the answers since they go to the heart of taxation and distribution of wealth.

Even your religions cant agree on such a simple question. Some say charity is mandated by god. Jesus certainly said a lot about it. Many churches do much charity work. But some churches are extremely rich and some preach a "prosperity" gospel message. Plenty of religious leaders live lives of luxury while some give their whole lives over to service and helping others.

You dont need religion to study ethics. Indeed religion does not teach ethics. It teaches obedience, submission and unthinking sheeple behavior. God dosent say here think about this and come up with an answer. He says DO WHAT I TELL YOU OR ILL MAKE YOU SUFFER. That is the difference between ethics and religion. Ethical people think and use their brains. Religious people just cower in fear before their nasty imaginary friend.
Posted by mikk, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 3:44:12 PM
Very poignant comments from posters so far.

Poirot you made an excellent observation and really goes to the whole point that Phil made earlier regarding abrogation of parental responsibility.

"Ethics, unfortuntely, now has become just another victim of the destruction of communitiy values - something that was once absorbed in the normal flow of life is now seen as a special area to be "taught" as a formal subject."

There is nothing untoward about schools upholding the values of manners, respect etc through expectations in behaviour but teachers really have enough to be getting on with providing the foundations or building blocks of education so that subjects like Philosophy, Theology or Ethics can be better understood and grasped by an older more mature student.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 3:50:49 PM
Earth calling Boaz...

>>BUT WAIT...I thought under a 'Theocracy' we were supposed to lynch the likes of Pericles and Morgan as heretics.. stone them outside the city walls or something<<

I know that is what your mob used to do, Boaz.

But you have been gradually civilized over the years, to the point where only a few of you actually believe that atheism is a mortal sin, punishable by death.

>>If we DO happen to have a strong and prevailing 'Christian' flavor to our culture, government and society...<<

It is probably more accurate and useful to describe us as having a strong and prevailing 'Christian' flavor to our history, rather than culture. After all, most of your examples - prayers in parliament, crosses on the flag, holidays etc. - are generally regarded as anachronistic.

>>It also gives serious credence to the notion of requiring migrants to assimilate and adjust their cultures to fit in with ours..and specially our laws<<

I thought you'd manage to squeeze in a little xenophobia, despite the fact that the thread began with the NSW education system. But honestly, how did you make the leap of logic from the existence of a Christian history, to closing our borders to anyone who disagrees with your religion?

Oh well. I guess to a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 3:54:21 PM
No runner i dont believe in "absolutes" Pray tell us what they are?
Please look at the question I put forward and tell me where your god stands? Would he say we have to give to the poor? I think he does doesnt he. Your Jesus is almost a commie with the things he goes on about. Smashed up any money changers lately runner? Been through any needle eyes? Your so called absolutes look very thin on the ground these days. Even amongst the faithful. You all support wealth, war, inequality, guns, exploitation and all the other things preached against by your superfriend in the sky. Pardon me if I find you lot hard to take seriously when it comes to ethical behavior. Let alone teaching it to our kids.

As for Q&A Singer has a point. But only if you think an animal could give consent to such things. I dont think they can so it is out of the question and bestiality would definitely be wrong. Imposing yourself sexually on another without consent is rape. Rape is wrong because it infringes an individuals right to decide for themselves what happens with their own body. Even animals have some right to protection from stupid horny humans.

There you go runner an ethical standard that we can agree on but had nothing to do with anything your god says. Showing that people CAN be ethical without all the mumbo jumbo pushed by the likes of you and your godbothering friends.
Posted by mikk, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 4:06:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16