The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why I’m having an abortion > Comments

Why I’m having an abortion : Comments

By Angie Jackson, published 2/3/2010

Abortion doesn’t have to be justified and it doesn’t have to fit your neighbour’s or co-worker’s opinions of a 'good enough reason'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. All
Good point Severin
I can see that may not have been the best analogy. I did not mean to imply that the author, Angie was being dishonest in the same way that Gunn's has proven.

I was wresting with myself to understand my own personal unease at that statement, and of course you are right - it does not mean that someone who has an abortion cannot advocate for rights of children who are "born".

I think it was just in the context that many people do believe that an embryo is the beginning of life (not necessarily of childhood) it seemed incongruous on first reading. I probably need to some inner searching on why it had that first impression.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 2 March 2010 1:33:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is peripherally about nihilism or moral relativism; but squarely about sacrifice, justice and responsibility.

I thought that atheists can at least recognise nature - in many sitations they even worship it. But apparently not when it's too close to home.

And then to stick it In Ya Face on the net.

No base. How tragic.
Posted by hugoagogo, Tuesday, 2 March 2010 1:36:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pelican

Thank you for putting words to your reflections. I apologise if I came on a bit strong it is because I find Gunns utterly reprehensible. Besides, I don't have children, I have had both abortions (with no regrets) and miscarriages - with total regret - balanced in part by my niece and nephew, and I abhor children being victimised by anyone. Guess you hit a nerve there.

Seems to me Angie is a courageous woman, having survived the brutality of sexual abuse, a very difficult pregnancy resulting in her much loved son and her clarity of mind in knowing her strengths and limits.
Posted by Severin, Tuesday, 2 March 2010 1:45:53 PM
hugoagogo
I have not heard of the Atheist earth worshipping movement - please do explain.

There are great numbers of Christian environmentalists around the world. And why should't there be. Why would a Christian not love the earth that their God created and why wouldn't they look after it for the sake of mankind?

As for moral relativism - morality is a human construct that has at it's core (or a reflection of) a strong instinct for survival, natural born altruism and the strength of the collective. Morality as reflected in religious dogma is also a human construct and varies between religous groups and cultures.

Abortion raises many conflicting rights - the rights of the child, the rights of a woman who may not want to be "forced" into having a child for whatever reason personal to herself.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 2 March 2010 1:52:53 PM
no doubt some of the 9/11 murderers were also child activist.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 2 March 2010 2:41:56 PM
Poor old Runner

Your would like the world to be black and white, but the reality is there are simply an endless number of shades of grey.

I know you want certainty of right and wrong (who isn't searching for that?). However, to equate a child activist with terrorists is rather unfair and unjustified.

You do yourself no favours with such a random and baseless accusation.
Posted by Phil Matimein, Tuesday, 2 March 2010 3:46:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14