The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why I’m having an abortion > Comments

Why I’m having an abortion : Comments

By Angie Jackson, published 2/3/2010

Abortion doesn’t have to be justified and it doesn’t have to fit your neighbour’s or co-worker’s opinions of a 'good enough reason'.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
Good luck. I agree that demystifying abortion is a good idea. All the best.
Posted by Lucy Montgomery, Tuesday, 2 March 2010 9:03:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
;I’m an atheist, children’s rights activist, '

An atheist yes, a children;s rights activist - u r joking of course?
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 2 March 2010 9:36:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Journey.

Journey. Well, oh I cant get past Journey.

I feel the world has left me behind. I have no desire to talk about myself in the third person and splash my Journey on facebook and twitter.

'What makes this even more interesting '
Sorry, nope. I had to stop there.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 2 March 2010 9:53:28 AM
Angie

All the best for you and your family.

"Abortion doesn’t have to be justified and it doesn’t have to fit your neighbour’s or co-worker’s opinions of a “good enough reason”.

Right-on sister.
Posted by Severin, Tuesday, 2 March 2010 11:15:20 AM
Good for you, Angie.
There is nothing in the world as privately owned as one's body, its functions, illnesses and what one does with it. However, it is only since we allowed the intrusion of governments into the picture that it all became somewhat complicated and as the years have passed, even more so as the insidious church controlled more and more timid politicians who, cognisant of the threat to their comfortable living if they dared to offend a group of people whose ability to have a rational thought was lost years ago, the moment they were brainwashed at Sunday school or in the case of the Romans, fell for the theory of the promise of heaven and the threat of hell.

So abortion, like euthanasia became the domain of the churches, therefore the weak and compliant politicians.
What a total liberty that was.

I think that the main consolation out of all our better education and rational thinking is the diminished numbers in church attendances and the rise of atheism in leaps and bounds which means that one day again, perhaps, when people see both priests and politicians for what they are, the need for honest and enlightening articles like Angie's, will have gone forever.

Until then, George Orwell's 1984 is alive and well.
Posted by rexw, Tuesday, 2 March 2010 11:21:43 AM
You are right Angie – abortion doesn’t have to be justified, at least if atheism is correct.

In fact, for atheists, nothing has to be justified. Indeed, nothing can be justified if atheism is correct.

Appealing to atheism may have some initial appeal, but it is not hard to see that it leaves us in a very awkward position.

In a materialist/atheistic universe, the person who has an abortion does not have to justify their behaviour but neither does the rapist, the paedophile, the torturer, or anybody else.

If atheism is true, we are all free to do whatever we like. That may sound good until we are on the receiving end of some of these behaviours.
Posted by JP, Tuesday, 2 March 2010 11:42:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy