The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Misunderstanding the Family Law > Comments

Misunderstanding the Family Law : Comments

By Barbara Biggs, published 4/2/2010

Despite the recommendations, A-G Robert McClelland has flagged that he is reluctant to change the shared parenting laws.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 30
  7. 31
  8. 32
  9. Page 33
  10. All
Severin I assume that you are being sarcastic with your apology rather than a genuine apology for some serious harm you believe that I have suffered.

My point is that the poem is kid's play and does not provide proof of a massive hatred by women of men just as boy's calling each other girls is not proof of widespread hatred of women by men.

By the way I've often heard women tell a boy who is crying about something not to be a girl. Does that imply a belief by those women that women are inferior.

I'm also right wing enough not to place much faith in the idea of one person being able to apologise on behalf of others.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 4 March 2010 1:36:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
benk,

Do I smell a bitter snag?

Come to think of it where is formersnag? I'm sure a lot of his problems come from his unsuccessful attempts to get the girl via dedication to a snag image. Although I fear there is probably a bucket load of reasons apart from the flawed snag routine.

Just goes to show, men who just want to be men and ignore what women want them to be are the happiest. They get all the chicks too.

I often think this alpha crap is just that. Tough guy footballers get the girls and pretty girls get the footballers. This creates a lot of bitter nerds and bitter ugly chicks.

But then, later in life, there is a bunch of successful professionals with happy families and the world at their feet, and there is a bunch of guys in low paying jobs decrying the world is unfair, that the nerds don't deserve their money, and there's a bunch of women bitter their looks have faded and they're stuck with the abusive drunken football hero.

Well, that's what happens in the movies. It must be true.
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 4 March 2010 1:48:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Styx:"That has worked for many a single positionist."

But never for long.

benk:"It is annoying thinking that we could have gone further in life, if we had been a bit more of a mongrel."

Ah, the lament of the middle-class. The fact is that our hierarchies are natural outcomes of our biology, modified by overlays of social niceties designed to ameliorate the worst impacts of the "savage beast" on subordinate members, or at least give them a sense of self-determination and hence minimise aggressive dissent or "dominance fights" that lead to poor outcomes.

It's all about letting the Alpha dogs (and their alpha bitches) have their way with minimum hassle.

Any social structure that tries to change this basic reality is not going to work on a broad scale. Even on a small group scale it is dysfunctional since every group settles out into a hierarchy quite naturally.

Our particular personal rank within the hierarchy is a product mostly of genetics, I suspect, modified by our learning. A milquetoast man will never be an "alpha" and a plain-Jane blue-stocking will never be an "alpha" either, unless she possesses especially ruthless qualities. Think perhaps of Rosie o'Donnell or Hilary Clinton.

Houellebecq:"I often think this alpha crap is just that."

It may be once the social overlay is applied, but it's always just below the surface.
Posted by Antiseptic, Friday, 5 March 2010 12:55:06 PM
How old is the former Justice Chisolm? Has he ever experienced family law issues within his own family? Presumption of family violence in every family law matter? Presuming that every man in Australia at some point commits an act of domestic violence against their partner. So if my husband argues with me, calls me a name, disagrees with me, then he is being domestically violent? Mr McClelland why would you get an old man who is out of touch with real people to write a report about real people's lives?

Perhaps we should call a review of the family laws as a consequence of the mother in Brisbane who gassed her two children in a car or the case in Melbourne and many many others. It is a well known statistic that in 60% of cases, it is the mother who killed the child. Why are we not discussing this.

With regard to equal shared care, it should remain a presumption and the courts work from there by looking at distance between the homes, family violence (we only want to consider real physical violence), mental health issues of both the husband and wife (if either parent has a history of severe mental health issues, self harming, stays in mental health facilities, suicide attempts or overdoses then the presumption should be that the child spends majority time with the other parent whether they are male or female), drug abuse issues (again if one parent is a drug addict the other parent should be the majority of sole care provider).

Reports have proven that it is in the best interests of the child to spend as much time as they can with each parent and maintain family connections with both families.

There should be no changes to the law other than to more fully recognise that parents with mental health issues / drug addictions should not be the majority care givers. Domestic violence is already adequately dealt with, in fact, Magistrates give them out to women like candy whether or not there is any justification for doing so.
Posted by LizzieMc, Sunday, 7 March 2010 11:28:19 AM
Medical Journal of Australia, 2008.

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/190_01_050109/nie10592_fm.html

Mothers are responsible for at least 70% of child care.
Posted by Pynchme, Sunday, 7 March 2010 2:53:49 PM
R0bert

I am willing to wager that you have been called a 'girl' far more often than you have been regaled by an anachronistic poem which stereotypes BOTH boys and girls.

In case you haven't noticed girls as just as likely to get into the situations described in that poem as boys, and if you would like to be considered to be made of "sugar and spice and all things nice" -

Well, be my guest. As far as I'm concerned that poem should remain in the 19th century where it belongs.

Another thing for you to consider (seeing as you failed to think through the poem) try this:

Why is the worst epithet one person can call another is a part of female anatomy? A Cvnt?

Look I'm not really into a scoring match with you, but I am trying to encourage you to think.

If you are so sensitive and easily offended - stop being such a girl.
Posted by Severin, Monday, 8 March 2010 12:25:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 30
  7. 31
  8. 32
  9. Page 33
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy