The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Israel Folau

Israel Folau

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...
  13. 20
  14. 21
  15. 22
  16. All
Dear Foxy,

Thanks for the link.

Not sure I agree its conclusions though.

Here is the Facebook page of the The Truth of Jesus Christ Church in Sydney. You will see it is mostly an Islander congregation and I do know how strongly the Islanders embrace Christianity, pretty fiercely in my book.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Religious-Organization/The-Truth-of-Jesus-Christ-Church-Sydney-592277641115135/

Israel is also shown giving talks to the youth of the church. His father Eni is listed as a preacher.

I think we have to accept that Israel comes from a culture which places family very highly. He grew up in a very rough area where going off the rails would have been very easy but a strict religious background has seen him flourish so him attributing his success to his faith is not without merit, especially as he has managed to avoid the pitfalls of many elite sportspeople in this country.
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/israel-folau-the-game-plan-20150821-gj4ksy.html

While I understand why he had to go I think the best of us can recognise him for who he is and wish him well.

Dear Hasbeen,

As a naval officer I am pretty certain that your sinning would have placed you on top of Israel's list as he puts drunkards like us above homosexuals and all the rest as those facing hell and damnation.

Bottoms up mate.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 13 April 2019 5:59:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Steele,

Christie Buckingham of the Bayside Church in Melbourne.
A Pentecostal like Israel Folau, wants to ask Israel
why he appears angry. She says that -

"In the current climate of distrust, polarisation and
simplistic sloganeering, I'd like to convince him of the
need for thoughtfulness and sensitivity to how his words
will be heard."

" Īsrael's clodhopping use of the Bible with verses
ripped out of context and lists of "sinners" bound for hell without any sense
of the broader story - distorts the core message of the
text and its offer of abundant life for every person who
would accept it."

"Do his words draw people towards Christ or away from him?
Do Israel's comments attract faith conversations with people that
actually lead them into further inquiry about God and the
good news of the Gospel?"

"It is the kindness of God that leads people to repentance,
not judgement. The way of Christ is not the way of
condemnation."

" Israel should focus on the things that draw people towards
faith and not those that repel. He can do a lot of good for
the kingdom of God if he focuses his energy in that direction."

Perhaps Israel should have asked his father for advice before
posting.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 13 April 2019 7:13:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Steele,

A real vote of the nation would have been a referendum and we all know how the alphabet group shied away from that.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 13 April 2019 8:21:00 PM
Instead of spruking anti Christian hate speech on OLO an blog site, why doesn't the sick fox condemn those lovely peaceful Buddhist, responsible for decapitating Muslims in Burma.

Just saying.

Dan.
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 13 April 2019 10:03:56 PM
Totally wrong SR. Never been drunk in my life, in the navy or the yacht club in Hobart or Rabaul.

I have always had things I wanted too much, a racing car, yacht or a house, to waste my money on grog, gambling or other such frivolity.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 13 April 2019 10:19:01 PM
I saw Folau's post, he simply stated his beliefs, he never claimed that it was his desire that various sinners went to hell or threatened anyone personally. As an atheist that actively supported SSM, I find this intolerance disturbing.

I believe reading the SMH has a strong legal case against being dismissed on legal grounds. A multimillion dollar award against RA should reset their priorities.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 14 April 2019 8:37:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...