The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Christians - their heart is in the right place

Christians - their heart is in the right place

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Canem Malum,

I'm so sorry that you have misinterpreted what
I said, and the points that I was trying to make
did not get through to you. Unfortunately I can
only be responsible for what I write - not how
you interpret what I write. I have no control
over that. However I am glad that you did at least
read what I posted. Even though your interpretation
was the opposite of what was actually being said.

Thank You for taking the time to respond to my post.
Kudos for that.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 12 July 2018 4:32:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//Well it's simply a very easy way to opt out of any further discussion on this topic.

The reality is, when one looks at the wider community at large in Australia only around 36% of the population are volunteers.//

And do you actually have any evidence to support the idea that that 36% of the population are more likely to be Christian?

I donate plasma as often as possible through the Red Cross Blood Service - typically once a fortnight, health permitting (although I'm pretty healthy so it's usually not a problem).

I wonder how many of your saintly Christians would be willing to do that... and how many would decide it's too much hassle because they're big jessies who are frightened of needles and a little bit of pain? How many would come over faint and delicate at the thought of having their blood repeatedly pumped out of their body, being centrifuged to remove a fraction of the plasma, then being pumped back in - with the process on full visual display at all times - and decide that's not for them because it all sounds a bit icky?

One in three (33%) Australians will require blood blood products at some point in their life, but a mere one in thirty (3%) donate each year. 3%... either that's a lot of Christians (excluding the JW's for obvious reasons) not donating when they could (and SHOULD) be, or there are more non-Christians in this country than I thought.

Blood and blood products can't be produced synthetically in lab. You have to get them from people. If nobody was willing to donate, the supply would dry up and people would die as a result.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 12 July 2018 5:22:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//On the other hand, Christians (and other religions) are making a very regular commitment, whilst a lot of other people are not.//

Looking at the stats for blood donors and the stats for Christians, it would seem a lot of Christians are not making a regular commitment to donate blood. Seems pretty selfish if you ask me. It's not like donating costs you aught; if anything you end up in profit because they give you free food and drink.

//That being like attending a Church or other religious sites once per per week or even more.//

Wow, really? You think that showing up to Church once a week is worthy of high praise, let alone winning the charity big dick contest? How many people's lives does that directly save, Nathan?

I realise throughout the course of this post that I've been somewhat of an arrogant, self-congratulatory twat. I was doing it for a reason: to give you a taste of how you sound when you go around sneering at people and patting yourself on the back for being better than them just because you're Christian.

There are kind, charitable, generous people in all faiths and all walks of life. And to balance them out there are selfish greedy bastards. But the idea that Christians are necessarily better people than us wicked heathens is not only demonstrably false; it's also quite offensive. I think you should find a different barrow to push.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 12 July 2018 5:23:34 PM
Foxy- Thanks for your feedback. If I misunderstood anything in particular please let me know. Either way I hope you take consolation in that I didn't take anything to heart.
Posted by Canem Malum, Thursday, 12 July 2018 10:58:27 PM
Dear Canem Malum,

Thank You for that.

I've re-read my posts and I should have made things
clearer. I'll try to do better next time.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 13 July 2018 1:48:41 PM
Toni,

<<I realise throughout the course of this post that I've been somewhat of an arrogant, self-congratulatory twat. I was doing it for a reason: to give you a taste of how you sound when you go around sneering at people and patting yourself on the back for being better than them just because you're Christian.>>

Claiming that I'm Christian, now that's a very bold claim to make, (without any evidence) but I would congratulate you for that claim regardless, as you have not simplistically linked something to Wikipedia, put out an online reference or stated a post is logically fallacious etc.

So that's a start.

<<There are kind, charitable, generous people in all faiths and all walks of life.>>

Good. The reason, I say what I have said, is because many who are religious can be put under a lot of scrutiny, and in the eyes of many this is seen as fine.

On the other hand, as it was pointed out, a reference was made to the low percentage of those who donate blood. The Red Cross though, does not come out and attack people for not donating blood, a positive approach is taken to try and encourage people to contribute where possible.

So in terms of this topic heading, "Christians - their heart is in the right place", I have no hesitation in saying that, because the regular commitment made by those involved is worthy of praise, whether one feels it saves the lives of the wider community, individuals or not.

The overall principle is being sent out that a regular commitment to something (that I feel many simply do not take on as a premise), is important. Christians and others of a religious background are willing to commit to this premise and this is a positive message to send out to the community at large.
Posted by NathanJ, Sunday, 15 July 2018 11:22:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy