The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Christians - their heart is in the right place

Christians - their heart is in the right place

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
//With a community now seeing many new and existing community groups living off Government aid and finance, their ability to operate and stand for core values is slowly diminishing.//

I don't have a clue what you're on about, mate. I think that perhaps in an effort to not offend anybody, you've couched your sentence in such vague and general terms that it's lost any semblance of meaning. What communities are we talking about? Whose ability to operate and stand for core values is being diminished? How is it being diminished? What are they operating? What core values are we talking about?

Details, mate. We need details. Maybe some specific examples. Vague waffling isn't very helpful.

//So the system is not fixed. It is in major need of repair.//

WHAT SYSTEM!!??

I can't read your mind, mate. I didn't say anything about any 'system' in my previous post, so I don't have a damn clue what you're referring to. 'The system' is about as non-specific as it gets. What kind of system are you talking about? A system for picking winning horses? A system for organising books on library shelves? The digestive system? Throw me a friggin bone here, dude.

Anyway, when I said 'there, fixed' I wasn't referring to the 'the system', whatever that may be.

I was pointing out that I had amended your original post by removing the term 'Christian' and replacing it with 'people' as I felt the statements were more applicable to people in general than the Christian subset of people.

And I still do. Because you haven't given me any reason to think otherwise.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 4:23:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm an atheist, and have been since the Vietnam War. However, most of the material that's contained in the New Testament is essentially quite applicable. Christian or not. Believer or not. I don't see anything inherently bad, in following the stuff contained in the New Testament. After all, if you'd found it written on the back of a comic book you'd find more relevance in it?

Think about it? Most of contemporary Society's standards, and rules of behaviour, are to be found contained in the New Testament. Therefore even the most sceptical and incredulous of all Atheist's, can't find too much wrong with what's written therein. Just because It's come from a religious book it doesn't mean it's entirely wrong, nor that it's entirely right either, for that matter? So give it a shot and see for yourself!
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 5:47:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy said "I think that we should not just single out one particular religion - but perhaps we should look
at all religions and the good work that they do?"

Answer- Australia is historically a Christian country. Whilst Australia has a secular government not based on scripture- this doesn't mean that the majority of the people want to destroy all trace of religion from public events or our culture. Yes we do need to be mindful that there are those that want to destroy things we value in the name of equality and multiculturalism- this is why there are a growing number of us that belief that Identitism/ Multiculturalism/ Equalitism are dangerous to culture. In recent years there has been great criticism of organised religion such as with the abuse of children in the Catholic Church- however the Catholic Church does in fact preach sexual conservatism in spite of some of its members. The Catholic Church is one of the few organisations with this view. This has brought it under fire from Identity politics and gender based philosophies. "Identity politics" seems by its nature as "anti-Democratic" due to its support of "certain minority groups" over the majority. There are those in our community that believe that the land is the common property of mankind and is not based on culture- this is Communism. Its strange that these same people believe in "property ownership" at the "individual level" but not at the "cultural level". I believe the Christian Churches still play a valuable role in the world- but it is a concern that the Christian Churches are becoming more multicultural and perhaps risk becoming dominated by other than traditional cultures. If we value our traditional Australian culture we need to support it or it will be destroyed. We can't expect those that come from other countries or from marginalised subcultures to value it. Generally I agree- their heart is in the right place.
Posted by Canem Malum, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 6:23:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jordan Peterson says some interesting things about god being an idealized form of a leader.
Posted by Canem Malum, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 6:24:30 PM
Jordan Peterson says some interesting things about god being an idealized form of a leader.
Canem Malum,
Yes, & so many mortals think they can score favours with this mythical power by crapping on everyone else. Just look at the magnificent buildings built by slave labour at the order of some Bishop.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 6:35:45 PM
Canem Malum,

I am wary of "them" and "us" attitudes.
Of malignant thought that "other people are
the problem." Yet a healthy society is not
one in which we all agree. It is one in which
those who disagree can do so with honour and
respect for other people's opinions and an
appreciation of our shared humanity.

Without personal commitment to the attributes of
fair play and integrity we are in grave danger.
Malice and intolerance stalk our society. The only
way to protect our freedom is to check the hatred
in our own minds. Our political conversations
must shift away from the mass infantile finger-
pointing that now pervades it.

There is a tendency on so many people's parts to
think that their way is the right way and that
people who disagree with them are bad.

We have to stop dangerous scapegoating, hate speech,
and small-minded intolerance for the views of others.
I'm not sure why you see "multiculturalism" as a
problem. Or what you think the "Australian" way of
life is exactly.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 7:00:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy