The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Christians - their heart is in the right place

Christians - their heart is in the right place

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
cont'd ...

There are so many people doing such good work.
And their organisations are too numerous to
mention. Just a few spring to mind - The Smith
Family, World Vision, Oxfam Australia, BeyondBlue,
Cancer Council, Lions Clubs, Australian Rotary,
Australian Red Cross, Flying Doctor's Service,
Diabetes Australia, McGrath Foundation, and the
list goes on.

Consider the vacuum in our society if these good
people gave up their work. We can only be thankful
that their hearts are in the right place. There
are so many people both Christians and lay people
who do so much for us all. And for that we can all
be grateful.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 1:47:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<Most people are compelled by love. Their heart is in the right place.>>

Is it? Or is it just in a place, where it is seen or felt to be in the right place? For example, someone's heart is in the right place to keep one alive (at a basic level) etc.

>>Many people are supporting the financially poor, both in Australia and overseas, and providing other forms of assistance to those who need it.

There, fixed.>>

With a community now seeing many new and existing community groups living off Government aid and finance, their ability to operate and stand for core values is slowly diminishing.

So the system is not fixed. It is in major need of repair.

As Yuyutsu points out: "Christian churches are made of people who aspire to become Christians." I would argue similar principles apply to the rest of the community (and other religions) as well.
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 3:01:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Nathan,

Could you please be more specific - and give us
some examples of what communities you're
referring to?
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 3:19:23 PM
Hello Foxy,

<<Could you please be more specific - and give us some examples of what communities you're referring to?>>

What I'm referring to, is more the community at large. So taking religion out the picture for example, there will be a vast array of individuals with their own aspirations, things they are aiming to reach or achieve and positions they take on in regards to certain matters that I or others may not know about as a result.

I cannot read one's mind also of course.

One time I was out in public, and I saw a person who was clearly a Buddhist. I knew this by what they were wearing. Whilst I don't stereotype, I had some idea of who they were. For others I have had to have deeper discussions with these people to find out what they stand for, having nothing overly clear to see, take in or go by.

With people who are religious, although I take the view each is their own self, when I look at others in the community at large, I will have to take a much broader assessment as I don't know a lot of what these individuals will likely stand for, compared to someone of a religious background.
Posted by NathanJ, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 3:35:18 PM
Hi Nathan,

I see what you mean.

Although today - the religious garb of so many people seems
to be disappearing. Which is a shame in many ways.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 3:45:27 PM
//Is it?//

Yes.

//Or is it just in a place, where it is seen or felt to be in the right place? For example, someone's heart is in the right place to keep one alive (at a basic level) etc.//

Well I guess that depends on whether talking about the literal, physical heart - which I shall refer to as the 'myocardium' for the rest of this discussion so as to save on confusion - and it's actual physical location; or whether we're being metaphorical and treating the heart as the seat of emotion and thought.

I think when it comes to the literal side of things, most people probably do have their hearts in the right place - otherwise they're going to be at risk of some serious medical complications.

Interestingly, there is a rare medical condition (about 1 in 10,000 people) called 'situs inversus' in which the organs of the chest and abdomen are the mirror image of what they are in us normies - heart on the right, liver on the left etc. But I guess with those guys having the heart on the right is having it in the right place.

When it comes to the metaphorical interpretation, my understanding of the phrase 'having your heart in the right place' means that people are compassionate, decent human beings who act with good intentions.

And again, I would say this applies to most people. Not all people, obviously, there's definitely wrong'uns out there... but on the whole, despite the protestations of my inner cynic, I would say that generally speaking most people do have their heart in the right place. Not specific subsets of people, not Christian people to the exclusion of all others, just people.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 10 July 2018 4:22:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy