The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Are jobs harder to get?

Are jobs harder to get?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Am I wrong in thinking that jobs are slightly harder to get?

I migrated from England 20 years ago & now a citizen. Employment for the first ten year was quite easy to get. Back then I would go out door to door job hunting with my resume & a positive attitude, speak to the receptionist of supervisor & surprisingly the success rate was almost always good. Face to face communication positive attitude & the willingness to be flexible were contributing factors in landing those jobs.

Nowadays due to the high level of job seeker applications all competing for the one position, employers now require seekers to apply on-line with your résumé attached & if successful they’ll contact you.

I've been unemployed now for nearly a year. Quit my previous job as a used car consultant due to stress levels associated with that position, I wasn't cut out for that type of role. During this time I took a short course at TAFE to become a healthcare worker & passed with flying colours. Since writing this post I have received a job interview next week.

Has anyone been through a similar circumstance minus the migration bit?
Posted by FENZINK, Sunday, 6 July 2014 3:27:25 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You're probably over 35 now FENZINK, so too old & past it.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 6 July 2014 2:21:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It sounds to me that you've done the right thing
by re-training in another field at TAFE.
That shows a great deal of initiative - and you
should be successful in your chosen new profession.
Caring people like yourself are desperately needed
in that industry.

Are jobs harder to get?

I think a lot depends on the type of job - and of
course your attitude. You seem to have things
pretty much under control. If something doesn't work -
you've been able to adapt rather nicely.
Well done!
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 6 July 2014 2:44:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Posted by Hasbeen,You're probably over 35 now FENZINK, so too old & past it.

You've obviously missed the point & the paragraph that states 'Since writing this post I have received a job interview next week'.
Posted by FENZINK, Sunday, 6 July 2014 2:46:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Posted by Foxy,Are jobs harder to get?

Thanks Foxy, their are heaps of jobs in this industry the only drawback is government jobs tend to take a bit longer to process.
Posted by FENZINK, Sunday, 6 July 2014 3:01:20 PM
Dear Fenzink,

Yes, it is harder today to get a job - so "thank" your government for:

1) Introducing competition from millions who are playing cat-and-mouse with Centrelink, who must issue endless job-applications but never had any intention to work. Employers can't tell the difference between these time-wasters and yourself who indeed want to work.

2) Introducing regulations that require ever higher formal training to get even the simplest of jobs. It's nearly impossible now to become a cleaner without a P.H.D. in chemistry to ensure you understand exactly how cleaning-agents work and can comply with the related "health and safety" issues.

3) I.R. and similar laws that makes employing others forbiddingly expensive and complex for small businesses.

The remedy could be a universal and unconditional payment which is sufficient for one's bare necessities (but not for comforts and luxuries), so in effect everyone receives the dole whether they work, look for work or don't work.

Centrelink would then be abolished because there will be no need to investigate whether people intend to work or not - which would become their private affair.

I.R. laws would also be abolished, because the universal payment will be sufficient to prevent Dickens-like situations.

What remains is to repeal requirements for formal-education, so it is up to employers to decide whether you can actually do the job or not.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 6 July 2014 3:56:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy