The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Are jobs harder to get?

Are jobs harder to get?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Fenzink, if you've been unemployed in Australia for 1 year, and you're not physically or mentally disabled, then you are bludging on society.

Here's how to get a quick and easy job. Firstly, go to any big supermarket and say "any nightfill jobs available?". If the answer is "no", go to the next big supermarket and ask the same question. I will guarantee you that within 10 supermarket visits you'll have a job. There ya go Fenzink, you'll easily have a job within 2 days.

But you won't do that will you, because it's not your type of job. It's beneath you. It doesn't pay enough. You like to pick and choose.

Fenzink, stop bludging and accept ANY job you can find. This isn't communist China, the state should not have to support you.
Posted by Right Is Right, Monday, 7 July 2014 12:55:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think it comes down to the simple fact that --for most situations-- there are too many people chasing too few jobs. Like with most other selection processes in life, when faced with an overabundance of candidates employers get very picky. And, I believe the qualifications/experience sought for most positions are well in excess of what is required to perform the work.

PS FENZINK : If it's not too intrusive I would be interested hear your feedback on the performance of the interviewing panel
Posted by SPQR, Monday, 7 July 2014 2:01:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi RIGHT IS RIGHT...

You're a bit censorious and denunciatory of poor old FENZINK aren't you ? Calling him a 'bludger' is a bit over the top I reckon. You know nothing about him, and you may well be right, however, until you know indisputably, you should keep those sort of inflammatory remarks to yourself I would think ?

You're spot on with your suggestion of looking for a job in a large Supermarket, 'night fillers' position. Still night work doesn't always suit everyone ? Depends how badly one needs work I guess ?

G'day there FENZINK...

Sounds like you've got the right attitude and drive my friend, as our inimitable FOXY mentioned. And any work in the 'caring industry' would always be in demand I believe ? GOOD LUCK anyway, though somehow I don't think you'll need it.
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 7 July 2014 6:00:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SPQR has identified the main issue. Most of the other problems, such as credentialism, are just symptoms. According to this article by Tim Colebatch, the Economics Editor of the Melbourne Age, we have been acquiring 5 new people for every new full-time job, mostly due to government immigration policy.

"People born overseas have taken almost three-quarters of the net growth in full-time jobs in Australia in the past two years, even though they make up just 31 per cent of the adult population. Analysis of the Bureau of Statistics jobs data reveals that, comparing the six months to April with the same months two years earlier, Australia gained just 131,000 more full-time jobs - one new full-time job for every five new people.

"But in net terms, people born overseas gained 97,000 more full-time jobs, while Australian-born people gained only 34,000. The economy created only one new full-time job for every 10 more Australian-born people aged 15 and over. The figures raise doubts about employers' claims that they must hire workers from overseas because Australians are not available to do the jobs.”

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/skilled-newcomers-flood-fulltime-jobs-market-20130614-2o9vm.html#ixzz2YLJos5JE

There isn't a perfect one-to-one correspondence of course, because migrants create jobs as well as taking them, but the labour market is clearly being oversupplied. Our rulers want it that way because people who are desperately frightened of unemployment will not object to low wages and bad working conditions. Their only problem is preventing unemployment from getting high enough to provoke mass rioting.
Posted by Divergence, Monday, 7 July 2014 7:20:26 PM
You think it's hard now wait until you hit 50 only job I could get was Security Night watchman working really bad hour's at less then $20 per hour base. And if Mr Abbott ever get's his I.R laws in pay won't even be enough to live on welcome To the new Australia
Posted by Aussieboy, Monday, 7 July 2014 9:47:43 PM
Fenzink, if you've been unemployed in Australia for 1 year, and you're not physically or mentally disabled, then you are bludging on society. Posted by Right Is Right

I suppose this is a good time to briefly clear up a few pointers with you regarding my infamous bludging ways. At this point you may wish to take a seat & a couple of deep breaths.

i. I have not currently nor previously received any unemployment benefit whatsoever.

ii. I've spent the last six months & $3000 retraining.

iii. Prior to that I've been living off the commissions I've earned as a used car sales consultant plus my after hours office cleaning job at the time; I may as well mention that I also sold my best car to stay afloat .

I've always been self-reliant & resourceful but I’m down to my last bit of cash so I’m hoping that this job interview is successful or I may reluctantly have to visit the unemployment office.
Posted by FENZINK, Tuesday, 8 July 2014 2:59:05 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy