The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Dangers of Christian Fundamentalism

The Dangers of Christian Fundamentalism

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Splitting hairs as usual Paul. What you call 'fundamental' Christians are of no danger. They can jump around clapping and looking silly as much as they like. They have no influence.

As for the quote you want me to comment on: that's just by someone who has the same opinion you do. I don't agree with his shite-stirring any more than I agree with yours.

The most dangerous people in Australia are not Christians or any other religionists. Marxists like your Greens, Albanese Labor, and the piss weak Liberals are are the real danger.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 13 November 2022 12:17:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I guess we should all be concerned about people in positions
of power who can affect the thinking of others, who can
affect the laws we live by in our society, and the kind of
society we want to live in. We surely don't want people running
the country who have simplistic views (things don't happen by
declaration) and "We know something you don't know," people
who are about excluding, people who are consistently against things
be it LGBTQI, who use politics as a tool - and bang on about
"our rights and freedoms." While ignoring those of others.

People who believe and see conspiracy
theories everywhere and think that everything and everybody
should be under government control. And the list goes on.

Fundamentalism is a very strict literal interpretation of
religious texts or set of beliefs - and we have many in this
country who hold these firm extreme beliefs. We need to be
aware of them to safeguard our democracy.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 13 November 2022 1:34:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Foxy,

«We surely don't want people running the country who... X Y Z»

Just as you don't want people running the country who X Y Z, they too don't want people running the country who A B C (or is it L G B?).

Just as it would pain you bitterly to have your life run by their X Y Z, so are they bitterly pained by having their life run by your A B C or someone else's L G B.

I for one, don't want my life to be run by either.
That is not what I was born for!

Nor were Christian fundamentalists born to be run by your civil ideology.
Nor were you born to be run by theirs.

So for God's sake, stop this stupid ruling trip - you have a life to live (and though I believe otherwise, most of OLO members seem to believe that there will be no other), what a waste!

There is no moral justification for the country, actually this whole continent, to be run by anyone, how more so at the expense and suffering of others: just LIVE YOUR LIFE, AND LET OTHERS LIVE TOO.

---

Dear Paul,

«I gave a quote from a US cognitive neuroscientist as to the dangers he seen with this restrictive form of thinking.»

Isn't modern humanistic philosophy also a restrictive form of thinking?
What about the danger of identifying yourself with some limited human body, suffering its inevitable aches and pains and being brainwashed into the misery of believing that once that body dies, you too shall die? That not a danger?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 13 November 2022 2:11:04 PM
Hi Yuyutsu,

I was talking about the dangers of fundamentalism.
Perhaps the following link may help:

http://livingsafetogether.gov.au/Documents/preventing-violent-extremism-and-radicalisation-in-australia.PDf
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 13 November 2022 3:08:54 PM
Dear Foxy,

Since we live in a world of opposites, every single thing is a danger to something or another - even light is a danger to darkness.

The document you referred me to, is an internal memo of the Australian regime, describing what it perceives as a danger to itself: not a danger to you or me or to Paul, Ttbn or Josephus - a danger to the regime, what they believe could topple them if they fail to be on guard.

That document is presumably about violence (which is obviously unacceptable), but when looking inside, it often speaks in one breath of "violence or illegal behaviour" or uses similar phrases to tie the two together. Well violence is violence and illegal behaviour is illegal behaviour - they are very different things and quite unrelated: their only commonality in this context being that they both scare the regime, they both make it tremble.

«I was talking about the dangers of fundamentalism.»

Indeed you have, but you did not respond to my previous post, so I ask you again:

Do you find it OK for some people to run the lives of others?

I understand that you would hate Christian fundamentalists to run your life by their ideology, but is it fine for you do run their lives with your own?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 13 November 2022 10:25:46 PM
Hi Foxy and Yuyutsu,

Yuyutsu, you make the mistake of attempting to mitigate one set of behaviour by pointing to another, a common practice by many. Fundamentalism and the actions of government, although both might be a danger they are not interrelated or interdependent. Like the spider and the scorpion, I say to you; "There is a dangerous spider", you say; "But there is also a dangerous scorpion, therefore there is no danger from the spider". Not so, the danger from the spider remains the same, just that there is a new danger in the scorpion.

My point here is Christian fundamentalism, whilst on the surface may look benign, even pleasant and inviting, but does it hold hidden dangers lurking just below the surface?

A few years back a young grand niece living in Western Sydney became involved in 'Hillsong Church', all was rather warm and fuzzy, she was right into it. One could say no wrong about 'Hillsong' it was the savour of the universe. Just as quickly as she had joined she was out, all the niece would tell us was she had, had a couple of bad experiences, not saying exactly what they were, but enough to drive her from the church. I was not surprised.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 14 November 2022 6:21:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy