The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Dangers of Christian Fundamentalism

The Dangers of Christian Fundamentalism

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
We are all aware of the dangers presented to the world by religious fundamentalism when taken to the extreme (its constantly on the nightly news). Closer to home, what do others think of the upsurge in Christianity within Australia through what some call "the happy clappers" (Pentecostals for example). Most view this religious fundamentalism as a benign, if not odd behaviour by those involved. My question is what does it stand for, and what are the dangers if any should it become widespread within our society.

A quote from Bobby Azarian, Ph.D., a US cognitive neuroscientist and science writer published on line in 'Psychology Today'.

"Not only does fundamentalism promote delusional thinking, it also discourages followers from exposing themselves to any different ideas, which acts to protect the delusions that are essential to the ideology."
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 12 November 2022 6:23:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Of course, Paul, you would not attend yourself to different ideas that challenge your position.
Posted by Josephus, Saturday, 12 November 2022 12:45:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm not too sure about attending anything as robust
as the "happy clappers." I think that I'd feel rather
out of place - especially if it got too loud. However
I have to confess I love the rituals associated with
the Catholic church. Christmas is a special time
of the year. Too bad it doesn't continue all year
through. Silent Night can still bring a lump to my
throat. As can so many others.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 12 November 2022 12:56:14 PM
The most fundamental religion is practised by the Climate Cult.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 12 November 2022 2:03:46 PM
Dear Paul,

Yes the fascist tendencies of the Religious Right are a natural fit for the LNP.

We elected one of the to be PM. His distain and cruelty toward those impacted by Robodebt fit the mindset well.

While religious observance is falling in this country the nutters are having to go to greater lengths to retain influence. Which is why that are attempting to directly influence them from the inside.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-07/religious-right-roadmap-infiltrate-liberal-party/101611840
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 12 November 2022 2:12:21 PM
All religions can have people who go over the top.
The late Airey Neave (murdered by presumably Catholic IRA [although they could have been Protestant] wrote of his wartime experiences as a POW, that the voices singing “Stille Nacht” came clearly from the German Officers’ Mess as Jews were murdered in the adjoining labour camp.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 12 November 2022 2:20:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy