The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Racism In Australia

Racism In Australia

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. All
On the eve of the AFL grand final there has been released an external review commissioned by the Hawthorn Football Club into racism within the club. According to Eddie Betts a renowned indigenous footballer himself, who was subjected to racial taunts and abuse throughout his career, that these explosive claims of racism and victimisation by multiple indigenous players at Hawthorn is not surprising at all.

As the title suggests 'Racism in Australia', football with a very high proportion of indigenous players is only one area where racism easily raises its ugly head. The broader question here is despite politicians and others trumpeting the success of 'Multiculturalism' in Australia, and there is no doubt it has been successful. To what degree do non-whites suffer racism in this country today. From 1788 onwards the white Christian European invaders felt with their ethnically and culturally superiority they had a God given right to discriminate and take over the non-white peoples, resources and cultures. Over time with the migration of other non-whites, racism has grown to cover many more Australians. A Western Sydney University Survey "Challenging Racism Project 2015-16 National Survey" highlighted many interesting facts about Australian racism, which are still evident today.

Briefly;

Australians holding 'Negative' views towards out groups within society;

Towards Anglo-Saxons.. Australian males 3.2% Australian women 2.7%
Towards Aboriginals... Australian males 10.9% Australian women 9.7%
Towards Muslim Aust... Australian males 34.0% Australian women 29.2%
Towards Refugees...... Australian males 19.6% Australian women 19.1%
Towards Middle East... Australian males 23.9% Australian women 20.9%
Towards Africans...... Australian males 18.1% Australian women 14.1%
Towards Asians........ Australian males 7.0% Australian women 7.0%

There is much more detail at the following link;

http://www.westernsydney.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/1202226/Challenging_Racism_Report_3.pdf
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 22 September 2022 8:20:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One can’t be racist to Muslims, per se, as Muslim describes a person of a particular religion and not a ‘race’.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 22 September 2022 6:55:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul.
I have never analysed who or what race or group fits with me. I usually say good day to most folk I come across and respond in accordance to their reply. In most cases the response is friendly.
I find people interesting and have let a working life that has taken me into some widely scattered locations over many years and an affable approach to people is an asset no doubt.
Some of these have been as far afield as the Amazon, Mexico, Argentina et al and much else in that location. Spent time working in the Philipines, business in Canada and the USA and most of Oz to name a few.
I have had folk point guns at me on a few occasions but generally have ended up in friendly chat and sometimes a meal in virtual strangers homes.
Some outcomes were humorous such as a stoned cabby in Jamaica who I coaxed to a stop. Helped him into the back seat and drove myself the rest of the way to my hotel with him singing on the back seat. I put some money in his hand to pay for the music when I parked up and left him to it.
Life is all about people not places, the richer the mix, the richer your own life
Take it easy.
SD
Posted by Shaggy Dog, Thursday, 22 September 2022 7:03:28 PM
Hi Paul,

Thank You for raising this topic for discussion.
Hopefully we'll be able to keep things on an even keel.
Thanks also to Shaggy Dog, and his positive attitude.
I listened to the news this evening and I trust that
investigations into the various football clubs will
produce some positive outcomes and actions.

Hatred does continue at disturbing levels in Australia.
We're all seen it on television and read about it. Muslims
have been called "terrorists", they've been assaulted on
public transport, in cafes "Lets rip it off her head."
We've seen a member of parliament wear a hijab into the
Senate. The hatred is there.

It has not gone away.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 22 September 2022 7:17:14 PM
While they are about it the football club(s) might look at the violence on the field some of which if done elsewhere would lead to fines or doing time.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 22 September 2022 7:24:23 PM
What will Paul do if bleating racism will be no longer fashionable ?
Posted by Indyvidual, Thursday, 22 September 2022 10:09:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy