The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Western Civilisation In Crisis

Western Civilisation In Crisis

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. 14
  14. All
Hi Chris,

"My view about Western societies is that they have always reflected the battle of ideas."

I would say that is true, but only from the beginning of the Age of Enlightenment around 1650, about 400 years ago. Prior to that the superstition of Christianity was the dominant determinate of ideas and beliefs in Western society. There was far more debate and questioning from Middle Eastern and Asian scholars for at least 1500 years prior to the development of Western enlightenment. I can only point to the contributions made by Buddhism and Confucianism in the continuous development of humanity, which pre-dates any real Western contribution to human development.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 25 November 2021 3:15:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, very true Paul.

The contribution of the ancients (greek and roman), which influenced later thinkers, also owes much to ideas from earlier civilisations
Posted by Chris Lewis, Thursday, 25 November 2021 3:32:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"I have to say that I am getting tired of bothering with people who don't think the same as I do. There's no point really. The society that I grew up in has almost disappeared. I'm apparently an 'old fart' and a right wing 'sook'"

ttbn, what do you want, this Forum to be an echo chamber of yours and other Old Farts beliefs and opinions? You seek to be the Forum arbitrator of what's acceptable and what's not. More than once you have told others, not of your belief, that their topics and posts are worthless and shouldn't be allowed to pollute "your" forum.

As for "Old Fart" its not insulting, its a Australian colloquial description, to describe people of your ilk. Just as "crying in your beer" is a colloquial expression, and you do a lot of that on this Forum.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 25 November 2021 6:16:27 PM
Dear ttbn,

I feel for you, and that's true, and if you have sound on your PC please play this 'YouTube' song, when I'm down it a real pepper upper for me, I hope it helps you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNBCVM4KbUM&ab_channel=BobMarleyVEVO
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 25 November 2021 6:22:53 PM
A few of the things that point to a crisis in Western society:

transgenderism
same sex marriage
rejection of truth for emotionalism
self- hatred and lack of self belief
identify politics
critical race theory
fall in educational standards
rejection Christian principles and practices
cultural relativism
favouring of perpetrators over victims and soft courts
rampart feminism and and misandry
irresponsible prejudging of rumoured offences by media
lack of action against women making false accusations of sexual assault.

They are just the obvious ones.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 25 November 2021 9:57:21 PM
ttbn, I'm sure you have many, many more you could add to your list, in fact I'm sure you have grievances against 99.9 percent of the population.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 26 November 2021 5:13:02 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13