The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Western Civilisation In Crisis

Western Civilisation In Crisis

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
Western civilisation is in crisis. Abandoned by our political class, we have lost faith in our culture. Some of us still believe in the things that once made the West the best, but there just aren't enough of us. Conservatives and Liberals alike have thrown in the towel. The barbarians seem to have won; they are relentlessly corrupting and degrading everything we once held dear - with little or no resistance.

Our rich and proud history is one victim, thanks to Marxist influence over the national curriculum; the West is virtually ignored.

Historian, Mervyn Bendle, wonders why HSC students need to be bothered with the question, 'To what extent did competing versions of Marxism affect Chinese politics from 1966 to 1989?'.

"Of all the things that happened in that period, why would students be required to focus on the arcane and murderous disputes within the Chinese Communist Party?", he asks. Fair question!

Could it be because the examiners think such knowledge is relevant because they believe, hope, that the world is heading towards Communism and the insanity of Marxist economics?

I think that suspicions that we are moving towards world communism are not entirely exaggerated or out of the question, given the anti-democratic behaviour of the Western political class seen around Covid, climate change, political correctness and identity politics, plus globalisation seemingly being more important to our 'leaders' than our sovereignty.

The WTO risibly thought that China would become more like us through free trade; but, we are becoming more like China, thanks not to China itself, but to our own extreme Left wing fanatics pulling the strings of our cowardly politicians whose only interest lies in maintaining their highly paid jobs.

The ongoing victories of the Left will ensure that we "will be delivered into the hands of the fanatics of the extreme Left where lunacy, delusion, and even treason reign supreme …"
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 21 November 2021 11:00:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Western civilisation has been in suicide mode ever since Academics have infiltrated Politics !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 21 November 2021 3:46:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We have indeed become more like China, but it's nothing to do with marxism or even left versus right.
It's that when illegal or corrupt actions occur, the government are siding with the perpetrators and trying to silence the whistleblowers.
Both in small things like Tony Abbott's daughter's scholarship, and big things like unlawful killings by our soldiers in Afghanistan and the East Timor embassy bugging, the government has been misusing our legal system to persecute those who've done the right thing.

And most people on this board side with the government, not realising it makes them part of the problem.
Posted by Aidan, Monday, 22 November 2021 8:34:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is more a whinge, bemoaning the good old days of empire and the Europeans dominance of the world. The days when the colonial powers could lord it over the inferior races of Africa, India, Asia and the rest of the world, whilst at home minorities and the poor were treated with contempt, all being brutalised and exploited.

Thankfully colonialism has gone and the fractious struggle of a post war world has seen many who once had no voice, are now having their rightful say. Indigenous, and minorities, alone with the mass of the past disadvantaged in society are now claiming their rightful place. The once poor man of Asia, China is exerting a dominance both economically and militarily in the world at the expense of the previously unchallenged power of the West, and the West don't like it.

There are those who hanker for "the good old days" of European dominance and privilege, but the reality is no matter how much some moan and whinge such days are gone forever and will not return.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 22 November 2021 8:40:49 AM
Paul 1405,

I'm not whingeing about anything; I'm stating facts. I am not a European or a colonist. I am an Australian, and I don't remember my country lording it "over the inferior races of Africa, India, Asia and the rest of the world". Why do you describe Africans, Indians and Asians as "inferior"?

Presumably you are thinking of the British Empire, when Australia was ALSO A COLONY being lorded over. It's about time you got over those days, or at least made an attempt to understand them.

In your second paragraph you even admit that "colonialism has gone", while you remain fixated on two century old history that has nothing to do with Australia any longer or to this topic.

Your hatred of the West, your country and culture, makes you a pathetic, irrelevant little person.

When I wrote "we are becoming more like China, thanks not to China itself, but to our own extreme Left wing fanatics ….", the extreme Left wing fanatics I was referring to were the ones pulling your strings, such as Herr Bandt and his fellow fascists.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 22 November 2021 9:56:23 AM
Western Civilisation in Crisis?

Joseph Tainter, an anthropologist at Utah State University,
and author of "The collapse of complex societies," offers
a bleak outlook in an article in New Scientist. As does
David Brooks writing in The New York Times.

Tainter thinks that the pressing issue to tackle - is the
twindling rate of invention relative to investment in
R & D (Research and Development), as the world's problems become
harder to solve.

"I forsee a pattern in the future where technological innovation
is not going to bail us out as it has in the past," he says.

So the question - Is the West really on the ropes?

We're told - perhaps. If we don't reduce our dependency on
fossil fuels, tackle inequality, and find a way to stop elites
from squabbling among themselves, things will not end well.

In Tainter's view, if the West makes it through, it will be more
luck than good judgement.

" We are a species that muddles through," he says.

"That's all we've ever done, and all we'll ever do."
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 22 November 2021 12:40:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy