The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Would you change Australian identity?

Would you change Australian identity?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
Hi, my name is Jack Farrugia. I am a PhD candidate completing my research project at Curtin University, and I am exploring preferences for Australian identity.

I am looking for participants who are over the age of 18, have Australian citizenship, and are interested in Australian identity. If you are interested, you will be required to complete one online activity lasting approximately 30 minutes. In this activity, you will be provided a list of statements on Australian identity to sort from least prefer to most prefer.

This activity is only for those over the age of 18 and who have Australian citizenship.

Participants will receive a Coles voucher to recompense them for their time contributions.

If you are interested in participating, please email jack.farrugia@postgrad.curtin.edu.au.

Curtin University Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) has approved this study (HREC number HRE2019-0541)
Posted by jackpfarr, Monday, 10 May 2021 11:15:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think we've had this character nosing around for cheap and easy research before.

"Would you change Australian identity?" is a very insulting and provocative question.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 10 May 2021 1:34:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Jack,

I'm not sure that you're going to get much of a response
on this forum. Most of us like the anonymity that the
forum offers therefore few people would like their
identities to be known. I presume that your survey
will not be anonymous? If it is - then perhaps you will
have more success.

In any case - Good Luck. I wish you well. The topic
you've chosen is an interesting one.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 10 May 2021 4:34:40 PM
Perhaps the real question is just what is the Australian identity today, is it worth having.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 10 May 2021 11:57:54 PM
Australia in 2021 is on target to becoming a truly cosmopolitan, ethnically diverse society where multiculturalism is embraced and accepted, where discrimination and disadvantage is not tolerated. A society where our first nations people, women and other minorities are accepted as equals and not disadvantaged as they are to some degree today. Australia still has a way to go before total acceptance is achieved, but we are getting there.

Hassy, I know you hanker for yesteryear, that clean white society of your childhood, where women and aboriginals etc "knew their place!" and the white Anglo-Saxon males made all the rules. The reality is 1950 is well and truly gone, and those hankering for its return will be disappointed.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 11 May 2021 5:50:41 AM
Our population has really grown and continues to grow.
In the past people came mainly from Europe (and NZ)
due to government policy. Today the highest population
numbers come from China, India, followed by Vietnam and
the Philippines. The shifts in our national identity are
significant. There is much more global interaction and
the cultural mix is in our DNA. 1 in 4 were not born
here. The Australian values that used to be bandied
about - mate-ship, larrikanism, a fair go for all, and
so on. Do they really exist today?

Especially when people get king-hit by strangers from
behind - is that mateship? When women are subjected to
domestic violence and sexual abuse - and pay gapes,
is that a fair go for all? when we have bullying being
common, and the list goes on.

Perhaps those values from the past may still exist in R
Regional Australia. However most of us are urbanites -
and we are too diverse.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 11 May 2021 9:07:25 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy