The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > India and Covid-19

India and Covid-19

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Last year there were many who believed the answer to the covid-19 pandemic was to "let it rip". The theory peddled was that with time, and the virus being not that serious, a few mostly expendable old folks would perish as they were about to do anyway, and then with "herd immunity" things would return to "normal". As Donald Trump said "miraculously the virus will disappear", I believe early last year the tiny affluent country of Sweden was the shining example of what can be achieved with a "let it rip" open door virus policy, well that was a bit of a disaster, but no worries with only 10 million people involved tiny Sweden paid the price. Moving ahead to late April 2021 and the poor nation of India with a population of 1,400 million desperate people, and a low class fragile health system we can now see what destruction an out of control virus can reap on such a large number of desperate people.

I don't think I need to say more, as the facts are clearly before us in the disaster that is India. For those conservatives among us who advocated a "let it rip" style virus approach, along with a deluded band of mostly conservative politicians, you were wrong then and you are still wrong today if you believe such nonsense!
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 29 April 2021 5:33:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
.. you were wrong then and you are still wrong today if you believe such nonsense!
Paul1405,
I wonder how you'd twist your words if this happened in a Caucasian society ?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 29 April 2021 8:09:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Poor India. It is dreadful what's happening over there.
Australia is helping as much as it can. But what a tragedy
for the country.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 29 April 2021 8:55:16 AM
Poor India.
Foxy,
Well, it's more a case of people of India having bred themselves into this !
It's actually a miracle that this situation didn't eventuate years ago.
Could COVID-19 be God-sent to put a stop to the excesses of such proportion ? The Bible tells us to expect it !
In Western countries we have under-breeding & in others over-breeding !
Can you see what I'm getting at ? Everything is simply too unbalanced !
Sadly, the suffering always falls to the poor, not to those who cause the imbalance !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 29 April 2021 2:50:23 PM
Paul you make a major mistake in your assumption that conservatives will all have the same opinion on this, or any other topic. Yes you are part of the hard left where opinions must all conform with the edict, but conservatives are more individual than that. We often have different opinions on matters.

I am not really committed, but do feel that the approach of both Oz & the Kiwis has been pretty much right. In fact I would have closed international boarders much sooner, & would limit passenger numbers to Oz much more than we are currently doing, at least until a treatment, effective immunisation system, or a much more effective quarantine system was in effect. Morrison is wrong in believing it is effective enough. One can only wonder if he has mates with large inner city hotels who require support with custom, if only quarantine.

I am less sure about closed state boarders, & radical lock downs, but can see how this does make it much easier to limit those who are not taking the problem seriously, so don't disagree seriously.

One has to feel for the Indians. I wonder if they have enough space in their larger cities to practice safe distancing. I would not like to have to ride one of their trains, or Japanese trains today.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 29 April 2021 3:09:23 PM
Now let me see if I've got Paul's logic (for want of a better term) right. He's saying that let-it-rip policies don't work while lockdown policies do work. And his proof of that is what is currently happening in India.

India? A country which has totally accept the lockdown myth and has never followed a let-it-rip policy.

I could try to explain how a country that doesN'T follow a let-it-rip policy can't possibly be proof that such a policy is wrong, but I suspect Paul isn't open to understanding that. Or I could try to explain how a country that has more lockdowns than you can shake a stick and still has rampant infections, is proof that lockdowns don't work. But I suspect Paul isn't open to understanding that, either.

I've provided more than enough evidence over the duration to demonstrate that lockdowns don't alter the outcome. But for some, the politics trump logical thought and they'll continue to believe lockdowns work right up until the time when their gurus tell them differently.

On a side note, I'd again point out that no country adopted or advocated a let-it-rip policy. This is just a fantasy that Paul has convinced himself is fact.
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 29 April 2021 3:19:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy