The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A Victory for the Meritocracy.

A Victory for the Meritocracy.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All
"Regardless of who wins the US election, one thing is certain: it will be a victory for the meritocracy." Opening line from the very interesting article below by Stan Grant.

Meritocracy a word first coined by the sociologist Michael Dunlop Young in his work "The Rise of the Meritocracy" in 1958. Meaning; [a society governed by people selected according to merit].

Like America is Australia in danger of being ruled by a meritocracy, or are we already in that position? Could we be such an egalitarian society that there is no possibility we could fall into such a trap?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-18/us-tyranny-of-merit/12774726
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 19 October 2020 6:20:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
.. is Australia in danger of being ruled by a meritocracy, ...

? What don't I understand about this ?
Posted by individual, Monday, 19 October 2020 9:49:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
certainly NZ ruled by Meritocracy.
Posted by runner, Monday, 19 October 2020 9:57:28 PM
What? We should have people running the country who lack the merit to do so? OK. That's exactly what we have now in this country - people with little or no merit. What a stupid post!
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 19 October 2020 9:57:34 PM
[a society governed by people selected according to merit]

Ok so, how many people will board a plane if they know the pilot doesn't know how to fly it ?
How many will go into surgery if they know the Doctor is not qualified ?
In an age where the elite keeps waffling on about the importance of education, that same elite is against merit ?
Forgive me but from where I am standing this has to be the most idiotic statement I have read in my life to-date !
Posted by individual, Monday, 19 October 2020 10:40:38 PM
Well I think employment positions should be given to the best applicant based upon the merit of their ability to do the job better than others.

And I think issues in society should be discussed on a basis of merit, not necessarily peer pressure, social engineering and mob rule.

But that doesn't necessarily mean I think 'Only university trained people have opinions worth listening to'

Is 'meritocracy' then an insidious plan to take decisions out of the hands of everyday people and into the hands of a chosen few?

But they still want to fine you if you don't vote, or don't support 'their meritocracy'

Is their meritocracy really based upon merit?

Doubtful.

You know how there's a law that governments take dormant bank accounts?
What citizen supported that?
Which one?

Them and Us

And their merit might not be the same as ours
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 20 October 2020 4:31:33 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy