The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Make heroes less necessary

Make heroes less necessary

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. ...
  14. 16
  15. 17
  16. 18
  17. All
david f,
Very good explanation. As for "The US is still struggling within to attain democracy", I can't honestly see how that can ever be achieved, just as I can't see true Democracy actually working as a whole.
Every country is now too mixed with different people of different views & values. There are too many people who simply will not allow harmony no matter what the cost !
Do you think that hardline Islamists for example will ever cease from the quest to conquer all ?
I don't think so just as don't think greed can ever be made extinct !
What could be achieved is to introduce teachings of integrity & responsibility. I'm utterly dismayed in learning that the Australian Constitution is not being taught in our schools. I'm utterly dismayed in the brainwashing of many decent youngsters by our intellectual echelon thus denying them to build a future for themselves before they even reach puberty !
Let's just look at the kind/quality of role models they are provided ? I sincerely hope that some young people manage to break loose from the Progressives' indoctrination tactics & start off on a new footing. People need to realise that new policies etc can take decades to fully develop so, all the now generation can do is to get hold of a tiny bit of integrity & lay the foundation for the next !
Watching the Italian TV series GOMORRAH it becomes painfully obvious how past policies have so miserably failed !
Posted by individual, Monday, 19 October 2020 9:21:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Individual,

In my opinion neither hardline Islamists, fundamentalist Christians or believers in any religion are fit for democracy. However, it is essential for democracy to allow them to have their views, To resolve this contradiction it is necessary to have separation of religion and state.
Posted by david f, Monday, 19 October 2020 9:48:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Individual,

I don't think hardline Islamists, fundamentalist Christians or believers in any religion are fit for democracy. However, it is necessary for democracy to allow them to hold their views. To resolve this contradiction we must have separation of religion and state. We also must have a vigorous unsegregated public school system which teaches critical thinking and encourages questioning.
Posted by david f, Monday, 19 October 2020 10:02:13 AM
dacid f,
I agree. I am of the view that only slightly enforced, for want of a better description, enlightenment is the only option to achieve this.
We now have it confirmed that indoctrination followed by lowering Uni entrance requirements followed by more indoctrination from indoctrinated teachers is the exactly wrong approach. Teaching must include drawing attention to inevitable failure for some, no matter how much their parents pay.
I'm utterly uneducated & perhaps it is because of that I see things from such a different point of view that the failings of general education become so visible.
I found that many are educated beyond the capability of even comprehending the degree of their eduction. This situation has brought us to a saturation educated society with very little competence or common sense.
We need proper role models not just some sporting or pop music heroes !
They think they're invaluable yet in realty a great number are a mere burden on the rest of us tax payers as most invariably end up on the public purse.
Anyone getting access to higher education should be required to be suitable not just because wanting to be 'educated' ! We need more professional or rather competent people in every field not just in Academia.
Posted by individual, Monday, 19 October 2020 11:02:04 AM
Hi DAVID F...

Ordinarily, I listen to everything you say as I believe you have much wisdom to share with us all. But you made one statement herein which I cannot allow passing, without contradiction.

That the US and its allies were 'beaten' in South Vietnam by Ho Chi Minh? As a Veteran myself, I state categorically, and with respect herein, you're wrong! The US lost the political will to fight, nor did they have the 'will' to militarily take on the North with those measures sufficient to defeat them even though they had those assets in-country to do so. Instead the US bombed Hanoi with conventional ordnance trying to limit damage to the civilian population and some of the historic infrastructure.

As a WWll veteran yourself, you must surely realise you can't prosecute a war with one hand tied behind you back, as the yanks tried to do in South Vietnam. Even WESTMORELAND was quoted as saying, give him a free hand, and he'll defeat the North in a week, even less? But we'll never know, will we? The US was defeated on the streets of Washington DC and other major Cities of their Allies, not 'in-country' and definitely not militarily
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 19 October 2020 11:17:08 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear o sung wu,

Of course had the US pursued the war with all the resources at its command they could have won. However, it would have been a monstrous act. It was bad enough that they were there in the first place. War like any other governmental pursuit is limited by available resources. Any country can only act with the resources available in the situation at hand. Victory in Vietnam was not necessary for the survival of the United States. With the resources they were allowed to use they were beaten. As a citizen of a democratic country Westmoreland should have realised that. If war is necessary for survival a country uses all its resources. Vietnam was a war of choice not a war of survival.
Posted by david f, Monday, 19 October 2020 11:34:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13